A Little Knowledge

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilR

Our village has a Facebook community page and the stupidity of some of the posters beggars belief.

One such post was from an incomer townie about shooting noise around the village.

Then this appeared as a reply to the post. 

"Game season starts 1st september - Partridge 
1st October -Pheasant & any other game bird 
Over christmas they can shoot everyday as most game keepers have anything from 1000-2000  bird shoot days , and a lot of syndicate shoots happen over the festive period , Pigeons are all year round."

Needless to say I put this expert right. All our local shoots are small farm syndicates and I estimate from my own shoot they'd put down 1000 to 2000 poults a season.

Facebook is unfortunately accessible to all, with no filter.. The shooting FB groups are incredible. Some newbies come on with the most basic and often stupid questions, which could be googled and decent answers found. But they would rather ask “What cartridges for clays” or similar. Some of the questions are as about as pointless as asking “what’s the best thing to do with £15”? Then you get 400 answers, mostly from people who started shooting last week. It’s a pointless soup of random answers with no way for the newbie to know which of them are worth listening too. 

A few years ago I attended a village meeting at which they discussed the noise of the local clay shoot. (I only went to report back to the shoot owner). One old girl said “They make this noise on a Sunday morning and quite often I can hear them shooting the ones they didn’t finish on a Monday or Tuesday too”. So I did have to point out that she was likely hearing various rough shooters in the area during the week.. FFS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Facebook in every application is the work of the devil... it will never catch on..

The farmer who adjoins our shoot stomped round at 6-30 this morning to drop off a few pheasant that had caught the wind during yesterday’s shoot and landed in his paddock over which we don’t have permission to pick up (wife is ‘anti’ apparently).  He was very annoyed until I explained that he had no need to return them, they were ‘his’ having landed on his property and did he want them preparing and returning?

After the resulting coffee, we now have permission to pick up over paddock if we drop off a few prepared birds after each day and as he left he was musing whether he would let us take a lease in some of his land next year for the value of a half syndicate gun (we have one full gun spare anyway)

Its purely down to us to integrate and help people understand, under the current soon to be previous shoot management this guy was kept in the dark and suspicious of shooting activities and viewed as a miserable old sod, actually it seems he is shy and had never really explained what was going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Facebook is unfortunately accessible to all, with no filter.. The shooting FB groups are incredible. Some newbies come on with the most basic and often stupid questions, which could be googled and decent answers found. But they would rather ask “What cartridges for clays” or similar. Some of the questions are as about as pointless as asking “what’s the best thing to do with £15”? Then you get 400 answers, mostly from people who started shooting last week. It’s a pointless soup of random answers with no way for the newbie to know which of them are worth listening too. 

A few years ago I attended a village meeting at which they discussed the noise of the local clay shoot. (I only went to report back to the shoot owner). One old girl said “They make this noise on a Sunday morning and quite often I can hear them shooting the ones they didn’t finish on a Monday or Tuesday too”. So I did have to point out that she was likely hearing various rough shooters in the area during the week.. FFS.
No she was correct. I regularly go back the next day and shoot the whole clays left on the ground, which these days is an ever increasing amount.

No she was correct. I regularly go back the next day and shoot the whole clays left on the ground, which these days is an ever increasing amount.
I have heard you miss them when there on the ground as well  :rolleyes:

The way I am shooting if I shot a box full of 200 I may get 10 straight  :(

facebook is good  to see what people have eaten   or  taking  endless selfies of vain people ,   my message is   GET A LIFE    .    bowie once said   " I make news  I don't report it "   

Latest posts

Back