2nd time out - improving...

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothicsera

Concentrated on 4 different targets on the practice stand today at Cambridge Gun Club with another 50 shots - 2nd time I've been there and really enjoyed it, other than the torrential rain and wind! We did get a bit wet, even though the stand is covered.

Today was the second time I've ever been out, so it's all very new to me. Getting some great guidance from Allan Wright though, so it's starting to come together. The 1st time was really getting used to the gun, and I found myself overthinking things too much. Having been air rifle shooting for years, moving targets and quick thinking are all a bit new!

Target 1: was some type of incomer (not entirely sure what the proper name is  :???: ), launched from behind the bank in front of the stand and if missed falls about 20yd in front of the stand, so quite steep launch. Hit all 10 of those straight off the bat - pleased with that!

Target 2: Teal - last time I missed all but one of these, leaving them too late as I couldn't get the gun on them fast enough. This time I managed to hit all but 3 of them out of 12. Much better :)

Target 3: Left to right crosser - again last time out I only managed one. This time I hit 50% of them. Pleased with that at this stage - trying to work out the lead was the toughest bit. I got on a run, then lost it (overthinking again!) and then managed to get the last 2 again.

Target 4: Right to Left crosser - the first 1/3rd of it's flight is obscured by trees and they are much closer than the left to right. Didn't hit any of these the first time I went out. This time I managed about 30%.

All in all I'm pleased so far and most importantly am really enjoying it - I think next time I'll focus on nailing some of those crossers, I know the lead is critical, and building up a picture in my brain of what that looks like is going to take a while :)  I also want my licence to arrive so I can get the gun home and really work on a consistent mount!

If anyone has any tips on crossers, I'm all ears. I think I've watched every YouTube video going!  :lol:

Practice makes perfect!

IMAG3927.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a snap observation from the picture; your left hand is a long way back on the forend. This is normal for beginners, especially ladies, as it makes the gun feel lighter. There are two reasons to move your hand forward a bit. Firstly you and your arm will move more nicely when the elbow angle opens out a little and more importantly, you will have more control over the muzzle position holding further forward. Holding too far back causes a lot of barrel movement for a small hand movement. Hard to regulate, especially on rabbits. 

Well done today!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Will :) will bear it in mind next time I am out. I've fired 110 carts in my life, so I'm still working it all out :) . The guidance from Allan is hugely helpful, I wouldn't be hitting a thing without his help! 

I'm quite tall and long limbed, so could certainly extend that arm quite a bit and still be comfortable. I'm still finding I'm not leaning into the gun enough at times too, so am also conscious I need to work on my hold/posture.

Once I get that gun home I have quite a bit of free time at the moment so I can practice that stuff lots :)

Thanks again

It will all come right in time, like all skills, it comes down to practice.

I really appreciate constructive feedback from people who've been doing it for a while. I'd rather knock any bad habits on the head early :)

Thanks!

Gun hold is a two fold thing. One is comfort (feels right) everyone is different. The second, holding the forend right at the end (muzzle end) helps to stop shooting over the top of certain targets. Holding near the action may/will make you shoot over the top of certain targets. Some people change position shooting a report pair because of this. At the end of the day, its what you feel comfortable with. Your hold position looks ok to me. You could try a different position of your index finger though - its sort of not doing anything at the mo. 

Well shot by the way.

Thanks v much :)

I've always found that hand position comfy, index finger is under the forend pointing along the barrel, but it's probably another bad habit from 20 years of shooting air rifles (like leaning back!) that I need to stop. I'll experiment next week and try a few different hold positions.

I've not (yet) had a problem of missing over the top of targets. Nearly always behind, sometimes in front. But of course I've only really tried a small number of different targets so far, and all singles. :)

Thanks again for your input :)

Back