‘Rough’ gun, wandering around Vermin controlling..

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisPackham

Looking for suggestions please, budget up to Onyx money (1350 ish) but ideally less..

Although I have a number of guns I need something that can break over my arm , isn’t as heavy as my clay gun and not as nice as my game guns. My 20 silver pigeon was been adopted by other half as it’s now fit to her...

I want to buy new as this will be a workhorse gun and I can’t be doing with aggravation if it goes wrong.

Also, for walking around pigeon and corvids, 20 or save more weight and go to 28?

ive recently bought Yildiz for my son which is really good, just fancy something different...

There are some quite good budget guns these days, I think the Yildiz, Kofs, Baikal and ATA are all worth a serious look at for the money.

With regards to calibre, I would have thought 20 gauge is the way to go, such better range of available ammunition than the smaller gauges and still light enough to carry around.

If you're thinking of a 28 gauge do some research on cartridges before you buy a gun as they can be much more expensive than 20s.  You may end up losing weight from your pocket as well as on your arm! :)  

If you're thinking of a 28 gauge do some research on cartridges before you buy a gun as they can be much more expensive than 20s.  You may end up losing weight from your pocket as well as on your arm! :)  
Aha, my son has a 28 so I can just use some of the cartridges I buy for him, so in man maths cartridges are free!

There are some quite good budget guns these days, I think the Yildiz, Kofs, Baikal and ATA are all worth a serious look at for the money.

With regards to calibre, I would have thought 20 gauge is the way to go, such better range of available ammunition than the smaller gauges and still light enough to carry around.
ATA is a good call, forgot about them thanks!  Really pleased with sons Yildiz, mate of mine has a Kofs and it seems ok so far, recoils very heavily though... mind you at 500 gun a new pad won’t break the bank..

Still holding up ok?
Yes mate, no issues. 👍

The only minor issue if you can call it that is the auto safety is a little loud and heavy in use and it hasnt improved over time, other than that it is a great gun 👍

I shot it yesterday standing under a tree in a meadow on a flight line, got a few pigeon for the pot 😁

Yes mate, no issues. 👍

The only minor issue if you can call it that is the auto safety is a little loud and heavy in use and it hasnt improved over time, other than that it is a great gun 👍

I shot it yesterday standing under a tree in a meadow on a flight line, got a few pigeon for the pot 😁
Good that it’s auto safety though.. Could be a serious contender

Good that it’s auto safety though.. Could be a serious contender
There are various models all of which felt totally different to each other. I wanted the side plate model but the vogue felt better "to me" as its a little heavier than the other models. They are definitely worth a look mate 👍

Would you not consider a Semi-Auto, for rough pest control they are a great tool. 3 Shot giving you one shot for a dray and two for any emerging squirrels ! It will also soak up easier any heavier loads you may want to use should you have the need on fox etc.

A semi-auto would come in well below your budget and they are easier loading in a hide. Also could be used on the odd semi-auto clay comp that we see these days.

Other than that a 28" Browning, Berretta, MK in 12 or 20.

ATB

Matt

Would you not consider a Semi-Auto, for rough pest control they are a great tool. 3 Shot giving you one shot for a dray and two for any emerging squirrels ! It will also soak up easier any heavier loads you may want to use should you have the need on fox etc.

A semi-auto would come in well below your budget and they are easier loading in a hide. Also could be used on the odd semi-auto clay comp that we see these days.

Other than that a 28" Browning, Berretta, MK in 12 or 20.

ATB

Matt
Hi, I have a semi auto, they are indeed great tools infact I had mine converted to FAC but they aren’t gret for walked up stuff as they fling cartridges everywhere and  they can’t be seen to be safe at a distance ( I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid if I walked into the local carrying sxs broken arm - not that I would) this Is a consideration as there are aksways people about ..

Yes mate, no issues. 👍

Sounds like a good exchange then  ?

Hi, I have a semi auto, they are indeed great tools infact I had mine converted to FAC but they aren’t gret for walked up stuff as they fling cartridges everywhere and  they can’t be seen to be safe at a distance ( I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid if I walked into the local carrying sxs broken arm - not that I would) this Is a consideration as there are aksways people about ..
AND they carry 'Bloody awful' too !

Just look for a used Yildiz 20 with a standard stock. You will then have 2 stocks which you can interchange. Makes sense to me, 2 guns for the price of 1  ! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a good exchange then  ?

AND they carry 'Bloody awful' too !

Just look for a used Yildiz 20 with a standard stock. You will then have 2 stocks which you can interchange. Makes sense to me, 2 guns for the price of 1  ! 
That’s a great idea... done!

Actually, you are a genius, if I also buy a SH 12 then the boy has all options open to him and then when the time comes he can keep his Nutella slathered mitts off my ‘good’ guns ( might have given up a Nutella by then).

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a great idea... done!

Actually, you are a genius, if I also buy a SH 12 then the boy has all options open to him and then when the time comes he can keep his Nutella slathered mitts off my ‘good’ guns ( might have given up a Nutella by then).
Yes, he will no doubt have discovered 'other' nuts by then  !    :thankyou:

Actually I have been known to have the occasional 'brainwave', I save all of the insulting and stupid comments and put them under my pseudonym of Balltrap  !

(He will be along in a minute, when he has looked up 'pseudonym'  on Google.)      :mosking:    

Latest posts

Back