Magic gun ?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael

I have been clay shooting since the end of 2011, with sometimes fantastic, sometimes very ordinary results. In this short time I have used 4 guns reularly.

1st gun.

Lincoln o/u 12 gauge 28inch barrels. Bought 2nd hand but in as new condition. Initial results poor, but improving, to the point of my personal best, 86x100.

2nd gun.

Beretta 686 silver pigeon 12 gauge 32 inch barrels. I always wanted a Beretta, this one was offered by a friend for a good price. I thought i was buying a 30 inch barrel gun, turns out it was a 32 inch. Reults at first terrible, but improving, this gun was awsome on long stuff,crossers and teal targets. But not good at all on close stuff, particularly rabbits. In fact this gun aided by me destroyed my confidence on bunnies, to the point where they remain my bogey target.

3rd gun.

Browning B725 12 gauge 30 inch barrels. Bought on a whim at my local regular shoot on my 62nd birthday. Beautifull piece of engineering and i thought a good fit, steadily improving but still not matching my Lincoln for results. This gun has occasional second barrel no fires and because of that I am always a bit stressy on 2nd barrel targets, not good. The way i overcome the problem is in my words open and close the gun smartly, the mechanical cocking mechanism seems to like this. I dont.

4th gun.

Beretta 686 Onyx.

Along with the wife I decided to enter this years Beretta shoot. It is only 15 mins from us, so why not. So i need to find a cheap Beretta for myself. Looked around lots about all pretty suitable, but nothing that jumped off the page at you.found the above gun on a Beretta owners site at a good price. It's 9 years old in as new condition, having fired 75 rounds in that time. It came with everything it's owner giving up his licence, ammo, cleaning kit, cartridge bag yada yada. This gun apparently came to it's owner new, with a composite stock & forend, I did'nt know that was an option. The stock was unsatisfactory for some reason and the gun was returned to the dealer for repair. It came back with new upgraded wood, which clearly has a lot of right hand in the stock. That will do for the Berettas, Perhaps ille buy it shoot it and flog it after the competition. So 3 weeks ago I gave this new ,to me, gun  a run out at a local 50 bird shoot. Not expecting to much first time out, I was shocked to immediately be back to pretty much my best, I even only missed 1 rabbit. The gun feals different to any that I have shot previously, stock is slimmer, target pictures all different to previous guns. It just seems to shoot where im looking. It has cost a fair bit of time and cash to arrive at this point.

I hope I continue to learn, but maybe that's the end of my shooting apprenticeship.

beware "new gun syndrome" or even more deadly, "borrowed gun syndrome". two very nasty occurrences that have been filling gun cabinets for years. both similar in symptoms and not mutually exclusive as they sometime blend from one to the other. basically you buy or borrow a gun and for some reason you shoot like george digweed, where every clay almost seems to vaporise with fear at the mere sight of the new weapon. so you commit to the new miracle and build a new confidence, only to then hit the pooh pile score wise and find yourself wondering what happened, which, you guessed it leads to borrowing someone else gun, then............

need I say more? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been clay shooting since the end of 2011, with sometimes fantastic, sometimes very ordinary results. In this short time I have used 4 guns reularly.

1st gun.

Lincoln o/u 12 gauge 28inch barrels. Bought 2nd hand but in as new condition. Initial results poor, but improving, to the point of my personal best, 86x100.

2nd gun.

Beretta 686 silver pigeon 12 gauge 32 inch barrels. I always wanted a Beretta, this one was offered by a friend for a good price. I thought i was buying a 30 inch barrel gun, turns out it was a 32 inch. Reults at first terrible, but improving, this gun was awsome on long stuff,crossers and teal targets. But not good at all on close stuff, particularly rabbits. In fact this gun aided by me destroyed my confidence on bunnies, to the point where they remain my bogey target.

3rd gun.

Browning B725 12 gauge 30 inch barrels. Bought on a whim at my local regular shoot on my 62nd birthday. Beautifull piece of engineering and i thought a good fit, steadily improving but still not matching my Lincoln for results. This gun has occasional second barrel no fires and because of that I am always a bit stressy on 2nd barrel targets, not good. The way i overcome the problem is in my words open and close the gun smartly, the mechanical cocking mechanism seems to like this. I dont.

4th gun.

Beretta 686 Onyx.

Along with the wife I decided to enter this years Beretta shoot. It is only 15 mins from us, so why not. So i need to find a cheap Beretta for myself. Looked around lots about all pretty suitable, but nothing that jumped off the page at you.found the above gun on a Beretta owners site at a good price. It's 9 years old in as new condition, having fired 75 rounds in that time. It came with everything it's owner giving up his licence, ammo, cleaning kit, cartridge bag yada yada. This gun apparently came to it's owner new, with a composite stock & forend, I did'nt know that was an option. The stock was unsatisfactory for some reason and the gun was returned to the dealer for repair. It came back with new upgraded wood, which clearly has a lot of right hand in the stock. That will do for the Berettas, Perhaps ille buy it shoot it and flog it after the competition. So 3 weeks ago I gave this new ,to me, gun  a run out at a local 50 bird shoot. Not expecting to much first time out, I was shocked to immediately be back to pretty much my best, I even only missed 1 rabbit. The gun feals different to any that I have shot previously, stock is slimmer, target pictures all different to previous guns. It just seems to shoot where im looking. It has cost a fair bit of time and cash to arrive at this point.

I hope I continue to learn, but maybe that's the end of my shooting apprenticeship.
I started clays, sporting and skeet after the handgun ban and reached quite a reasonable level at sporting with first an old 682 Supersport and latterly a vey fine 682 Gold E 30 inch. This A400 Xcel is my first foray into the world of the semi now I wait for GMK to honour their warranty commitment after just one day. Not greatly impressed  with the A400 but,we shall see.

I started clays, sporting and skeet after the handgun ban and reached quite a reasonable level at sporting with first an old 682 Supersport and latterly a vey fine 682 Gold E 30 inch. This A400 Xcel is my first foray into the world of the semi now I wait for GMK to honour their warranty commitment after just one day. Not greatly impressed  with the A400 but,we shall see.
It does seem that Beretta/GMK have hit something of a bad patch of late!

I hear this a lot lately, for myself and the wife, we both find the Beretta guns we have used very reliable. Her gun a lefty silver pig came new from GMK, it was excactly what we ordered, within a week, 4 years come July, it has never missed a beat, the odd clay now and then.

I sometimes think a new gun or new bits added to gun a results in a new enthusiasm and concentration which results in a good score and then familiarity and a lack of attention creep back in and spoil the initial good results!

Tried it bought three houses but didn't end up owning one  :D

One or two of my friends have chased expensive guns and the guns  have ended up being owned by credit card companies.

Ive found it ,the magic ingredient you even get three refined clays,not sure if it works for the folicly challenged though,apparently even helps balance. 20160407_183620.jpg

It would appear that the new Blaser F16 is a 'magic gun'  the only way to get a look at one,  is to pull it out of a bloody hat !!

Where in the country are you westley,ill make some inquiry's and try to find out when or where you can see one.

Paul,

Thank you for that. I am in West Lancs/Merseyside area. Malmo Guns, Lancaster, or Premier Guns, Doveridge, are the 2 nearest dealers, I believe. I really wanted to try one if possible. I am looking for a lighter gun than my Moroku MK10, and the F16 seemed to fit the bill.

Premier have one listed on there web site,give em a call.There are loads on gun trader aswell that are ads from shops that have them.

Back