Sign in to follow this  
salop sniper

FSB / Nick Penn - Shooting both eyes open.

salop sniper

Did anyone see this last night ?

If so what did you make of it ?

Westward

What didn't I see last night?

dr. lecter

fieldsports Britain .   yes I watched it   interesting advice  as it contradicts all ive been told over many years ,   nick penn ?   has he ever won owt ?    dave carrie  is a top shot game and clay  he  seems to cope ok .    jury out at the moment !

• Like 1

salop sniper

Thats what I thought and Mr Digweed and Andy Crow appears a decent shot too.

Not sure I will return to shooting both eyes open !

shootkle

Will Hewland

Just watched it. I'm struggling to stay polite about this guy. Total nonsense in my opinion. Just weird comments about the body dragging etc. And I loved the way he was holding a closed gun, pointing behind him! This old waffle that he has dreamed up might be ok on corporate targets and total newbies, which is all I saw. I deeply suspect this guy isn't a good competition shooter.. or ever was..

You don't see decent coaches offering money back guarantees just in case their advice is crap..

Of course one eye closed is a disadvantage, but it doesn't render you a shooting cripple as he suggests. And while eye dominance is a complex issue for some, to say it's irrelevant is just ignorant. 

I once had to endure a manager in a well-known gun shop trying to tell me that eye dominance wasn't important and neither was being able to see the rib. Sigh..

I just had a look on his website. Crikey he is quite near me. Weird never heard of him.. 😆

His top tips are there to read. I wish I hadn't had a mouthful of tea when I read some of them especially number 4. 😩🤣

• Like 3

Sian
1 hour ago, Will Hewland said:

Just watched it. I'm struggling to stay polite about this guy. Total nonsense in my opinion. Just weird comments about the body dragging etc. And I loved the way he was holding a closed gun, pointing behind him! This old waffle that he has dreamed up might be ok on corporate targets and total newbies, which is all I saw. I deeply suspect this guy isn't a good competition shooter.. or ever was..

You don't see decent coaches offering money back guarantees just in case their advice is crap..

Of course one eye closed is a disadvantage, but it doesn't render you a shooting cripple as he suggests. And while eye dominance is a complex issue for some, to say it's irrelevant is just ignorant. 

I once had to endure a manager in a well-known gun shop trying to tell me that eye dominance wasn't important and neither was being able to see the rib. Sigh..

I just had a look on his website. Crikey he is quite near me. Weird never heard of him.. 😆

His top tips are there to read. I wish I hadn't had a mouthful of tea when I read some of them especially number 4. 😩🤣

You can imagine my reaction can't you.  I couldn't even watch the whole video.  What I did watch was the higher, slower driven I am guessing by looking at them shooting and you can use two eyes so long as you don't connect with your barrels and let them do their thing - that works for me quite successfully now - working on the other types of driven though.  I hope we never meet in person to be honest.

• Like 1

Will Hewland

The bit where he tells people that eye dominance is "a myth" and if they pull the trigger when it looks right they "will never ever miss another clay". Aaaargh. I'm sure even the likes of Ed Solomons won't tell you that little promise. 

• Like 1

Westward

The science of neuroplasticity tells us that, in theory and with correct training, the brain can learn to overcome cross dominance and thus enable shooting with both eyes open. But in the real world, the practicalities of many months of very strict training and associated poor scores with no guarantee of ultimate success makes it a totally unrealistic proposition.

p.s. If Maddie was my daughter and an instructor was amateurish enough to allow her to shoot driven targets without eye protection I'd be taking her out of there at speed.

• Like 5

Sian

I've now made myself watch it to the end - he's a great ambassador for safe gun handling NOT. Love the presenter's line at the end about people giving their comments especially if they only have one eye. 😂

• Like 2

matt s
9 hours ago, salop sniper said:

Did anyone see this last night ?

If so what did you make of it ?

I started to watch it,instinct took over and i shut both eyes dragged across and hit pause.

• Like 3

EdLyons

As the late Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

This chap does make some very strong claims for himself and his methodology - I find it both surprising and disappointing that this sort of misinformation made it past the cutting room floor and was distributed.

Simply coming from the visual science aspect, I can't make a single positive comment about any of his dogma. 

It's quite irritating that these Alternative Facts have been published.

I'll tee up a fine colleague of mine to step in regarding the technique aspect.

Mr Solomons, you're up...

• Like 7

Nick Selby

Step aside people.... I shall be employing his technique and I will win every single comp now as I am guaranteed never to miss a single clay again.

Nick Penn’s top five tips

1. Look at the bird, not the gun
2. Keep both eyes open
3. Ensure your stance and gun mount are correct
4. Right-shouldered shots should aim at the right edge of the target
5. For right-shouldered shots, the left arm should be doing 85% of the work

6:Remember that bulls*it baffles brains.....

• Like 1

Sian
12 minutes ago, Nick Selby said:

Step aside people.... I shall be employing his technique and I will win every single comp now as I am guaranteed never to miss a single clay again.

Nick Penn’s top five tips

1. Look at the bird, not the gun
2. Keep both eyes open
3. Ensure your stance and gun mount are correct
4. Right-shouldered shots should aim at the right edge of the target
5. For right-shouldered shots, the left arm should be doing 85% of the work

6:Remember that bulls*it baffles brains.....

I shall expect it now you are in A

• Like 2

Westward

Out of interest, has anyone ever heard of Nick Penn before? From his site it seems he has his own ground near Bracknell and a team of instructors.

• Like 1

Hamster

:lol::lol::lol:

Who is this man, no CPSA trace of him ?! Only got half way so far but the explanation about why we miss to the left or right is quite brilliant. 

• Like 4

Salopian

Nick Penn has been doing it for years, used to work for David Olive at Apsley Shooting Ground . Always pushed the 'shoot with both eyes open ' .Had an article in practically every shooting Magazine which only goes to show the credability of journalism.

Obviously use your binocular vision to the best of your advantage, but do what suits you to break clays to the best of your ability.

• Like 4

bisondan
1 hour ago, EdLyons said:

As the late Carl Sagan said, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence".

This chap does make some very strong claims for himself and his methodology - I find it both surprising and disappointing that this sort of misinformation made it past the cutting room floor and was distributed.

Simply coming from the visual science aspect, I can't make a single positive comment about any of his dogma. 

It's quite irritating that these Alternative Facts have been published.

I'll tee up a fine colleague of mine to step in regarding the technique aspect.

Mr Solomons, you're up...

Based on the video, I certainly won't be cancelling our appointment next month Mr Lyons.

• Like 1

Markh701

Don't see why you are all getting so het up. Why not go and have a lesson and then ask for your money back as he offers. Some things work for some people and others not. The fact is that the brain is far more capable than we give it credit for. Who knows he may be right! If you are happy shooting one eye or one eye slightly closed then this is obviously not for you. But if you are reaching the point of giving up then MAYBE it is for you.

No relationship to the programme, just my opinion...

• Like 1

Will Hewland
9 minutes ago, Markh701 said:

Don't see why you are all getting so het up. Why not go and have a lesson and then ask for your money back as he offers. Some things work for some people and others not. The fact is that the brain is far more capable than we give it credit for. Who knows he may be right! If you are happy shooting one eye or one eye slightly closed then this is obviously not for you. But if you are reaching the point of giving up then MAYBE it is for you.

No relationship to the programme, just my opinion...

Both eyes open is good advice and should be tried hard by everybody before taking plan B. He kind of infers that he's the first bloke to offer that advice..

It's a load of the other rubbish he spouts as "common sense" or fact that rankles. That and his dangerous practices. 

• Like 2

EdLyons

The part where he says that a right handed left eye dominant shooter may miss a high driven bird because as they raise the gun up higher "the body tightens and pulls to the left" is just such abject hogwash it would be funny if he wasn't seriously selling this advice to paying clients...

• Like 8

wylye

Well he's probably not making as much money as you but he appears to be reasonably dressed and healthy so somethings working!!

The stuff he's preaching is no worse than some of the "professional" instructors out there taking a lot of money from innocent newcomers to our sport. Some of them would make your hair curl with the crap they call instruction. Most of them are trying really hard to get the customer to hit the clay at any cost, which is hardly teaching them to shoot. "Close one eye, shoot to the left of it, shoot to the right of it, close the other eye". Criminal really.

• Like 1

EdLyons

Perhaps the video has been edited in an unflattering way, I'll concede that. 

However, giving a student a "method" to shoot a ten yard incomer and suggesting they miss due to spinal drag, whilst also indicating the likes of Dave Carrie and Allan Warren just guess where they're shooting is also giving me a perm to use your trichological allegory...

• Like 5

Hamster

Having watched it all the way through it's clear we have a case of a little knowledge and (no doubt skill) is indeed a dangerous thing. As many know I shoot both eyes open off the right shoulder despite a strong left master eye and the knowledge being shared is utter garbage. It might work on gimme targets but never ever translate to an actual method. I know of some very good shooters who can mince hard targets off the hip but that proves nothing other than hand and eye co-ordination is critical. 

Also worth sharing is the utter sh*te being spouted further along the vid where clear and unmistakable reference is made to Iranian terrorists kidnapping Qattar hunting royal family in Iran and billion dollar ransom changing hands etc. I actually had to google this as it seems to have skipped the attention of the Sun and Daily Mail :rolleyes:.

It turns out that "Royals" :D (ffs do they believe that themselves ?) were kidnapped in IRAQ by Iraqi "friendly rebels" the West loves so much and monies were paid to release the hard working hunting party, the msm 's standard way of tarnishing by association is to constantly repeat sh*t news with things like Iranian backed Shia or insurgents, in reality this would have at best meant Iranians had brokered a release without harm because they have a working relationship with Qatar. 

The border region between Iran and Iraq is watched by armed drones 24/7 and they frequently incinerate Alqaeda/Daesh/Isis so anyone who thinks they are on the side of said vermin is indeed a cretinous moron. Well done Fieldsports Britain, heartily recommend sticking to your day job. 

• Like 2

Doug Pinnegar

Point 5, about right shouldered shooters left arms doing 85% of the work. Is that garbage as well?