Winter Over Coat Windproof Waterproof

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a thin browning jacket from uttings, doesn't interfere with mounting, and is waterproof as tested at pilford shoot today as it was chucking it down, still, no waiting around between traps!!!!

mike

I bought a Musto Lexton at a bargain price earlier this year & wore it on our beaters day - it rained constantly all day & I stayed dry ! I was so impressed I bought another for Clay Shooting (different colour) I guess if it was blowing a Hoolie & really really cold I would possibly need to add a layer beneath. 

The Schoffel range are good.
Cheaper to buy a new clubhouse though !

Just got the Hoggs catalogue (Fife Country Clothing) some decent stuff in there for all pockets and uses. Aye them wee Scots are a canny bunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Castellani technical jacket good but not worth £170 neoprene leaked around the gun mount patch ,was warm tho! 

Golf jacket (no collar) for under the vest. 

If it's colder and wetter than that requirement then I wouldn't be shooting clays but would be shooting game so I shooting a Ridgeline Coat. 

I've thrown a serious truck load of cash at jackets and the Ridgeline is by far the best. 

I'm genuinely interested in this topic but so far having bingled at least 3 best by far options of :

Berghaus short rambling jacket - Schoffel lightweight - Ridgeline 

haven't managed to pin it down to any distinct shape or type, so if possible could the gents provide a link for these please ? 

I'm reasonably bulky through the shoulders, arms and upper body...47" chest with a 19.5" neck. I struggle to move in an XL musto jacket, it pulls tight on driven!!! I've found that in cold/wet I'm better slipping on my Schoffel lightweight over my skeet vest (especially fitasc) and on game shooting I can shoot unhindered and warm in a shirt and thin jumper under the Schoffel 

To stay dry I have been using harkilla light. Can use under skeet vest, if needing warm aswell and waterproof use le chamoux shooting jacket and take off to shoot.

I like to use one of the lightweight gortex "mac in a sac" type jackets under my Skeet vest. Mine's a Regatta and only cost £15. It's very thin, so does not interfere with the gun mount etc.

Also, I have a Musto windcheater (lined) jumper for the really cold weather and an ordinary jumper when it's just a bit cold. I layer up or down depending on the weather on the day.

stay indoors during inclement weather by far the cheapest and coziest alternative.

job done, weres me slippers.

Here's another jacket that's worth a serious look Musto Fenland Packaway It's getting good reviews. I'm sure it could be worn over the top of your usual winter shooting gear and easily carried throughout the year for rainy days.

golf waterproof jacket under your vest.designed for good movement.

bought a set of dunlop waterproofs from the golf shop and they are probably the best i have had,still going well after 3 years and only 30gbp ;)

Here's another jacket that's worth a serious look Musto Fenland Packaway It's getting good reviews. I'm sure it could be worn over the top of your usual winter shooting gear and easily carried throughout the year for rainy days.
Dunno really, personally find any shooting garment that has big collars to be a hinderance in mounting consistency, you can't always do them up all the way. This is why I am so interested in seeing the actual jackets people are recommending because most seem impractical in 2 key areas; pockets and their fluid reach/access & collar design, unless these are up to standard the rest like wind/water proofing and warmth are immaterial, for clay attire anyways.

I was thinking this jacket would be ideal while waiting and between stands and as it packs away would be handy to carry in the so called summer months. I wear a Paramo with a vest over the top. It's a soft fabric coat that I find I can shoot in even with the hood up if weather conditions dictate .

Dunno really, personally find any shooting garment that has big collars to be a hinderance in mounting consistency, you can't always do them up all the way. This is why I am so interested in seeing the actual jackets people are recommending because most seem impractical in 2 key areas; pockets and their fluid reach/access & collar design, unless these are up to standard the rest like wind/water proofing and warmth are immaterial, for clay attire anyways.
The Seeland Woodcock is very good mate.  I agree with you on collars and the Woodcock aren't too flappy and can be done right up.

I would have bought one, but got a good deal on a Tweed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back