Which Shotgun Certificate?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzrat

Right guys, bit of a conundrum. Having sent my sgc off for renewal and Thames Valley being extremely efficient I now have 2 certificates. One that runs out 24th of October and another that doesnt start until 24th Oct.

Question is, If I was to purchase a gun before 24/10 which certificate should the vendor fill in?

I would say my new cert as when the old one runs out the new gun will not be on my cert. but that leaves me with a new gun on a cert that isn't valid yet.

Thoughts?

Old certificate, the new one is not valid yet, technically anyway, you are better off sticking on the old certificate and then get it added to the new one, seems a bit strange to have the new one 2 months before its due to expire!

You use the current one and notify your FLO of your purchase.Thames Valley then have it on your file .

NEVER send your current licence to anyone including your Firearms department, there is no need, how do you purchase ammunition or a gun without a licence? 

Old certificate, the new one is not valid yet, technically anyway, you are better off sticking on the old certificate and then get it added to the new one, seems a bit strange to have the new one 2 months before its due to expire!
This is because I heard about the horror stories of other forces taking months to process and sent my renewal as soon as Thames Valley sent the reminder. They were possibly a little too efficient in this case :D

You use the current one and notify your FLO of your purchase.Thames Valley then have it on your file .

NEVER send your current licence to anyone including your Firearms department, there is no need, how do you purchase ammunition or a gun without a licence? 
Ok, cool, so the vendor writes on the current one and as normal I inform TVP of the transfer, but what happens when I shred the expired one? I am left with a cert that has my present guns printed on it but not the new purchase.

Perhaps get the Vendor to fill in both certs?

If it was me...I would buy after the 24th October and put it on the new one if you are likely to be travelling abroad using that gun at anytime in the life of the new cert.

Its gonna be an auto for pigeons so wont be going abroad so no problems there :) and I cant wait til October, this is gun buying, a pastime I have no patience in :laugh:

Just emailed TVP firearms asking what the protocol is and will update when I hear. Quite surprised they dont just send out the new one with the date valid from the same as the date the Chief signed it so as soon as you receive it, its valid.

I would get both done and keep the old one as well after all it wont eat anything and at least you will have the gun on your cert when it begins although I cant see why you would want to spoil a perfectly good certificate by putting a semi auto on it.. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Emmsy said:
whenever ive had a new cert then its valid from the date they printed / processed it.

seems stupid for them not to do that
I applied for mine early due to international commitments clashing with timing for renewal and got the new one a month ish before the other expired. They date them strictly from the renewal date.....there is no rounding up or down of dates .

I have posted about this before .

I had to take both shotgun certs abroad at the same time......true story.

Right official response; Dear Mr Gray

Please take your old certificate with you to buy your new shotgun and send in the notification of this purchase with your new certificate

I hope this helps.

So fill in old cert, send notification as normal but enclose not yet valid new one to be updated.

Fuz,

For chuffs sake ! You do not have to send your certificate anywhere to anyone ! It is your certificate and all your gun details, purchases and sales will be recorded by you or a vendor on the appropriate certificate. You keep your old certificate with your new one. All anyone has to do is notify their Firearms licensing department of any purchase or sales which then goes onto the Police data base to be used by the RSPCA to victimise you.

Latest posts

Back