Do snap caps actually prevent damage?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all I can say is I have shot mainly beretta and have never had a broken spring in 40 plus years of competitive shooting, and I shot A LOT...but we agree, its a personal choice 👍
As some of us know, quality guns in the hands of quality people who appreciate quality take quality care with those guns to insure a long term quality experience with them.  Judging from your choice of gun it is fairly easy to surmise the care they might have received and why.   :poke:

• Thanks
Reactions: ips
As some of us know, quality guns in the hands of quality people who appreciate quality take quality care with those guns to insure a long term quality experience with them.  Judging from your choice of gun it is fairly easy to surmise the care they might have received and why.   :poke:
Quality post that 👌🏻 

• Thanks
Reactions: ips
I just got a set of aluminium caps - ready to replace my plastic ones if/when they break :hyper:

I was told the brass ones are too heavy and can cause more wear/damage than the good they do.

I'm sure that is an aspect worthy of consideration.  In fact I was so concerned that I weighed one of the chrome/brass 'caps I use and an out of the box 32gm Federal cart.  On the postal scale they were both 1.5oz!  I shudder to think the damage those carts do and can't even imagine the effect of the 36gm loads I've had in that gun!  OMG  ! ! !  What have I been doing ?!?!?!

I should imagine though, that the cartridge being ejected doesn't weigh 1.5oz, where as the brass cap does....? And the heavy loads being shot from the gun - again isnt affecting the ejectors in the same way as them ejecting a 1.5oz brass cap??

Im no expert - but logic and or physics takes over and says its not the same thing... you shooting a 36g load and ejecting a 42.5g snap cap..?

Either way - each to there own. :wink: :biggrin:  

We should start a "Which" snap cap thread,

• Lordy! what kind of damage is a 1.5oz snap cap going to do to your gun?
  • Which is the correct material that I should be using?
  1. Plastic? (oh please!)
  2. Aluminium?
  3. Brass?
  4. Titanium? (surely a must!)

Last edited by a moderator:
We should start a "Which" snap cap thread,

• Lordy! what kind of damage is a 1.5oz snap cap going to do to your gun?
  • Which is the correct material that I should be using?
  1. Plastic? (oh please!)
  2. Aluminium?
  3. Brass?
  4. Titanium? (surely a must!)
.. maybe so - but so many say not to bother, but for the sake of £5-15, why not, when it could cost you 40+ for a spring or firing pin + fitting.

Personally I have no idea. im new to shooting - but read lots and still not entirely sure, so far I can gather the newer guns - in the last 10-15 years are not to worry about... Id rather not take the risk...

Im still waiting for info from Italy in regards to my gun (bought second hand, came with nothing). Id like a manual for it so I can strip and clean myself (thoroughly) Its been nearly a month though, I just have to sit tight and wait..

My last post was very much tongue in cheek, and you are right, why not buy snap caps, most of us probably have done at some time - whether or not we use them now may be another question.

https://browning.eu/manuels/

You can find Browning "Manuels" above, you might find one near enough to help you out, Mirokus and Brownings are closely related

Last edited by a moderator:
.. maybe so - but so many say not to bother, but for the sake of £5-15, why not, when it could cost you 40+ for a spring or firing pin + fitting.

Personally I have no idea. im new to shooting - but read lots and still not entirely sure, so far I can gather the newer guns - in the last 10-15 years are not to worry about... Id rather not take the risk...

Im still waiting for info from Italy in regards to my gun (bought second hand, came with nothing). Id like a manual for it so I can strip and clean myself (thoroughly) Its been nearly a month though, I just have to sit tight and wait..
I’d rather not take the other risk personally. 

Back