Do snap caps actually prevent damage?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In 30 plus years and dozens of guns i have never released the trigger springs incl 4 DT10s i have never had any issues with springs
That is very good. I hope I never have a spring fail. However I don't feel that trying to avoid it is wrong. I can't understand why some people get so excited about snapcaps. 

That is very good. I hope I never have a spring fail. However I don't feel that trying to avoid it is wrong. I can't understand why some people get so excited about snapcaps. 
I cant see it making any difference either way so whatever your happy with 👍

The instruction manual that came with the Benelli 828U Sport I bought recently suggests using Snap Caps though curiously none are supplied with the gun.  The opening the gun cocks both chambers so when the Snap Caps are inserted, the gun closed and the trigger will release for both barrels with just the selector to move. 

The instruction manual that came with the Beretta 690 says to use snap caps too though curiously I can’t be bothered  :)  

Imo apart from the fact that i do not believe they serve any purpose in saving your springs leaving caps in is asking for trouble because one day you or someone else may take a quick glance and assume it's your snsp caps when it could be a shell. Nothing in yer barell means gun is defo empty, its old school basic gun safety... just saying

Could that be why most Perazzi users carry a spare trigger group then   ?      🤔
I think "most" is a bit of an overstatement. A small number do and as a P owner myself think it's a vanity thing ( oooh look at me..  I've got a spare set ) rather than a solution to a problem. You would need a big issue to need a spare set such as a hammer break which is about as likely as winning the national lottery. 

I think "most" is a bit of an overstatement. A small number do and as a P owner myself think it's a vanity thing ( oooh look at me..  I've got a spare set ) rather than a solution to a problem. You would need a big issue to need a spare set such as a hammer break which is about as likely as winning the national lottery. 
Yeah - I used to have a bunch of spares, one for each gun and sometimes alternate firing order too.  But those are all gone now but one for the MX1 which is a release that I keep as a psychic crutch in the event that I become so debilitated that I need to go back to shooting a release  :crazy:   Fortunately the things are way easy to sell not suffer a loss.

I do still have a spring kit in the bag, JIC.  It's been in there about 25yrs now and I check occasionally to make sure it's not rusting. 

I find the best thing about them is their very low recoil. 
One of those that I witnessed "go off" certainly had enough recoil to remove the gun from the shooters grip  !      I was just thankful that I had chosen to wear my brown trousers on that day.   😮

In fact those brown trousers were worn out and replaced several times, when I ran a shooting ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my Browning came straight from the factory both hammers were dropped, lve always stored it that way. In any case springs are better left with less tension if stored for any length of time. As for firing pin damage, l think this goes back to the old revolvers which had very long, thin firing pins and easily breakable if dropped on an empty chamber.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant see it making any difference either way so whatever your happy with 👍
About right. I use them as I hope it saves my spring being under constant strain. A spring never breaks when it is under no load. If I do what I can to avoid a spring break and spoil my day then that's me. If you choose not to release springs that's OK. If your day was ruined by a spring in Al honesty it would not affect my day at all. The argument over snap caps is about as pointless as what's the best cartridge or what's the best gun. Etc etc. 

Reactions: ips
About right. I use them as I hope it saves my spring being under constant strain. A spring never breaks when it is under no load. If I do what I can to avoid a spring break and spoil my day then that's me. If you choose not to release springs that's OK. If your day was ruined by a spring in Al honesty it would not affect my day at all. The argument over snap caps is about as pointless as what's the best cartridge or what's the best gun. Etc etc. 
all I can say is I have shot mainly beretta and have never had a broken spring in 40 plus years of competitive shooting, and I shot A LOT...but we agree, its a personal choice 👍

Back