Whats your favourite Pilla lens colour and why?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like P45 for Pilla .

Lots of Whiteboards in schools nowadays.

Necessary to contrast with the Pupils.

Ive never seen a black clay ? Always orange ?
Ditto I have only been shooting for a relatively short time but down here where I only shoot trap I have never seen any other colour always orange.

Ditto I have only been shooting for a relatively short time but down here where I only shoot trap I have never seen any other colour always orange.
You will not at fast trap !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there all orange

So for the record

Yes Pilla are overpriced

They may not be a Gazillion miles better than brand X

I do believe they have better clarity and targets appear more distinct than others i have tried for me,this may not be the same for others.

I do not get on with frames i find them a distraction if anywhere near my view.

But most of all i have never paid more than 50% for a Pilla product if at all which makes them much better value!

Any chance of some answers to the original question?  :rolleyes:

So for the record

Yes Pilla are overpriced

I do believe they have better clarity and targets appear more distinct than others i have tried for me,this may not be the same for others.

But most of all i have never paid more than 50% for a Pilla product if at all which makes them much better value!

I bought the original HyDef 3 lens set years ago but paid a bit less than retail as a favour from one of the importers  :)  which was less than half todays ludicrous prices ! My new 3 lens set was bought off a mate who couldn't get on with them for a fair bit less than new price ! I like them because they have clear lenses and the frames are high enough not to interfere with my line of vision, the old frames were utter garbage in every conceivable way, the new ones are much better but neither sturdy enough nor comfortable enough to warrant the price tag. 

If I were in the market I would wait and wait till a second hand single lens set became available. The man who gets hold of this money spinner by importing a high grade equal quality competitor ( from China ? )for 40% of the price will set himself up a treat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought mine Sebrings 2nd hand for 1/2 a price from a Danish lady - got 5 HyDef + 2 Max Orange lenses included.

65 max Orange is all I use - I am light numb and grasp for every Lux I can get - even at bright sun.

There are loads of offers for Pilla shooting glasses on ebay at the moment some frames with 5 lenses for about  £270 I assume they are older models but still good and the say they take the more up to date lenses ... still would not part with £270 for specs.

There are loads of offers for Pilla shooting glasses on ebay at the moment some frames with 5 lenses for about  £270 I assume they are older models but still good and the say they take the more up to date lenses ... still would not part with £270 for specs.
The trouble is you really need to be sure whether they're right for you but agree it's a good option so long as you have tried mates version of the same type first. 

Before I had to go prescription I loved my Hidefspex (Pilla) Max orange 40. My wife uses them now.. I also used a dark pair and a yellow pair.

As mentioned, they were dear back then (2008) but are stratospheric now. I would ideally need 3 pairs of prescription 580's or similar now, which I believe is about £1500. My real fear is that my eyes / brain are fussy buggers and I have had to chuck several pairs of prescription glasses in the bin as the view appeared distorted and I felt dizzy, as the lense shape wasnt just right for me (smaller and flatter is best for me it seems). So, if I take the plunge and get the Pillas, they may be unusable and I won't know until they are paid for..

I think the summer is a good time visually. Sun is high, downlighting the scenery. Less grey winter cloud, against which I struggle to see orange clays sometimes. 

I've hit the age where my long vision is getting worse and I've had to resort to prescription glasses.   A trip to Ed L may be needed, but even then I doubt I'll go for Pilla.  Just too expensive if your prescription needs changing.

ok a succinct reply to original question.

clear

or very very faint yellow tint.

So for the record

Yes Pilla are overpriced

I am not actually answering your question BUT the main reason I wear glasses other than safety is because of my eye dom situation I use opaque tape to swop sides. I honestly believe that if it were not for that I would be happy to wear clear or very pale yellow for really dull days and purple for sunny days. However I really do doubt that changing the make of my shooting glasses would make any difference to my scores whatsoever. I tend to THINK that purple gives me a slightly better pick up of the clay but to be honest I have never done a real test. A guy I shoot with wears exactly the same glasses rain , hail, snow you name it. They are just good quality sun glasses and if I could get within shouting distance of his scores I would be made up! I have seen him shoot in incredibly poor light and clatter all 25 still wearing his dark sun glasses !?!? And he wears these by preference he could afford Pilla from his winnings with in a matter of weeks. So what is the take home message... well for me it is you have either got it or you've not... I don't have it unfortunately :lol:  but I am not going to give up trying! But spending £600 on shooting glasses unless you are picking up money regularly seems a bit daft to me... but then again I am Scottish so the thrift gene kicks in when that amount of money is mentioned for glasses  :lol:

My take is I like them therefore I have them and I have 6 lenses all of which I use at some point and I will probably be getting a 7th lens.  I like that I have a clear field of vision without interference and that they do make the clays "pop".  I do have problems in certain lights with certain colour clays and certain backgrounds and they have made a difference to me so I am happy to be called stupid, more money than sense or whatever else as it is my decision alone and yes occasionally you will see me out with a pair of clear lens oakleys which I like to use as well.  At the end of the day we all purchase things for whatever reason is good for us.  I see lots of very expensive guns in the hands of people who clearly cannot shoot well but hey their choice and I respect that.

Back