What did you do today that’s shooting related?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't go for Eley 12.5g 5's.  Make a funny phut sound when fired and broke 2 from 5 clays the other weekend.  Changed to Fiochi Magnum 18g 6's and broke 5 from 5 (same target).  They do them in 7.5s which I would expect to be even better.

PS I'm so glad I've got my 12 bore.

Wow, new technology for you. No grinding and shaping to fit.

I wonder if that's what my grandkids will be doing for their grandkids instead of using hand tools?

Way over my head I'm afraid but the possibilities are endless. New custom designed stock perhaps?

Cut and ground an old BSA butt plate to fit, then rubbed smooth.  Stain and varnish Friday. 

Oh for the technological know how of Lloyd, not as much fun though🥴

20200121_150951.jpg

@Centrepin You’re right, it’s not as much fun, but it does a quick and dirty job for testing out ideas with little expense and time. 

Certainly a 3D Printed custom stock is on my agenda, but again that will be one of many evolutionary steps with the final effort being a carbon fibre stock. 

I’m also looking at using a mass damper in the stock to control recoil/muzzle flip. While I don’t have any shoulder issues, it can’t hurt to try the idea and I kinda like tinkering and I do it for a living anyway.

kudos on the gun for the little chap 👍 

Yardley says no one needs more than "0" pitch in the 21st Century.  I'm way under 1" on everything I have since I figger shooting for actual 0 is more trouble than it's worth.

@Wonko the Sane By 0” pitch I assume you mean zero inches change in length of pull measured at toe and heal? Or at toe, center and heal?

If the latter, this would give a convex heal pad (normally flat or slightly concave)

Last edited by a moderator:
pitch-definition-jpg.513905

I cleaned my somewhat recently acquired, old, Savage 775A, a more or less of clone of the Browning Auto-5. If you've never fired a long recoil operated shotgun, it's a little different.  Upon firing, the barrel and bolt travel together for the entire length of the cartridge. At the end of its travel, the bolt is locked back and the barrel travels forward to its battery position. When it is nearly all the way forward, the loading gate lifts a fresh shell into position, and when the barrel is all the way forward, the bolt is released, pushing the shell into the chamber and the gun is ready to fire.

There is a fair bit of mass flying around, and you can feel and hear it. It's kind of neat. It also goes a long way in taming felt recoil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took my new pro sport out for the first time to get acquainted. Shouldn't have bothered.

Qued for every stand to get on and have a que waiting almost as fed up as we were, had a stand with a L-R crosser but was actually R-L crosser serval no birds and three traps down. Gave up in the end as the mind wasn't on it anymore and the wife was coming down with a migraine. Then got stuck in the car park and watched chaos unfold of people trying to get into a full carpark and blocking people in who were trying to get out. 

Went home and washed the two cars insted. 

Also bought a second half choke for the Pro Sport this evening. 

Set the ball rolling in my renewal today, letter came in the post yesterday. Renewal came through 18 weeks before expiry, Lincs police state must have doctors letter and renewal be in a least 12 weeks early. Doctors then say 6 to 8 week wait minmum for report, bloody fantastic chasing the time even before we've barely started!

I’ve been itching to get out since I last shot 11 days ago, so on my way home this afternoon I figured grounds would be quiet due to Dennis and popped into Honesberie for a cheeky 50 in what was lovely weather. 
Worked on easy teal as I’d out of nowhere suddenly started dropping them from a previous >9/10 to a <2/10 with the idea that it was a lack of visual and mental focus causing the misses rather than any gun fit/eye sight issues as a couple of instructors (not my usual one) had suggested.

I was given a tip which I’d heard of before but hadn't implemented, to use my forefinger to point at the clay, letting my finger guide both the gun and my torsos movement. It worked a treat and this quickly progressed from a gun up to a gun down, move, mount, shoot style.

I then moved onto a going away and repeated the process of focus/point/mount, shoot again with repeated success. 

Finally, I moved onto a driven bird off the tower using exactly the same method, but on advice, using maintained lead. I did find that a little bit odd as I would normally use swing though for better visibility, but I got that from shooting gun down. The advice was given in order to commit me a smoother swing. Again, I had good success.

I booked myself another fix for Friday then to Sporting Targets on Sunday before a long break due to traveling.

Back