Waterproof shooting jacket

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSherriff70

Evening all,

I am after a waterproof shooting jacket for clay pigeon shooting. I tend to go with a layering system when I shoot; so thermal base and a shell jacket. However, the shell isn’t waterproof, so I normally take a brolly and then put it down to shoot.....the end result is that I slowly get wet..

Any suggestions on what to buy?

Budget is £200 max. No tweed and nothing that makes me look like I am pretending that I live in the countryside. 
I like the idea of the Beretta sporting teal jacket, but haven’t seen anybody wearing one.

Any ideas gratefully received, and then I can start my search of the January sales...

This is the Beretta Teal jacket......

It comes in blue as well. I have to admit to being a bit of a Beretta FKW (full kit W anchor). 

C134E990-C527-4757-B239-830D427F74A2.png

I’ve a musto shooting clay jacket (skeet jacket) I’ve been in torrential rain and it’s kept the top half of me dry. Afterwards I declared it was ridiculous shooting in those conditions and have not needed that level of protection since. But nice to know it works. 

I'm terribly old fashioned and as such still wear wax. Never let's me down.

In comparison to new fabrics its outrageously cheap given its life span.

I was lucky enough to win a Ridgeline Typhoon jacket.  I have used it a couple of times now, and it is an excellent jacket., waterproof and very light to wear. The only down side for me was the hood, which when rolled up and hidden in the collar, made the collar to balky. So much so that the scissors had to come out and remove it, so much better now.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first one isn’t waterproof, but I like it. The Seeland jackets look good, I will see who sells them locally. They are well priced too! Anybody know how they come up size wise? 
Thanks for the responses 👍🏻

Hill walking is a favourite for Mrs W and I and this can mean 8 hours in Lake District rain. This is the kind of rain which makes all other rain seem like drizzle, so we choose waterproofs rather more on their hydrostatic pressure resistance (i.e. how waterproof they are) than on trendy brand names. It's also no fun getting wet when out reffing Fitasc for 7+ hours in the rain so again, proper waterproofs matter. The outdoor sellers such as Craghoppers or Cotswold Outdoor is where we get our wet gear. It's not "countryfied" clothing of course but they know a thing or two about staying dry in bad conditions and usually cost considerably less than the pukka brand names.

The only problem i have found in the past with non shooting chlothing is that it can be a type of material that snags on your butt pad when you try and mount

deerhunter are very good, dry , warm and reasonable light. can recomend after long long term use.

The only problem i have found in the past with non shooting chlothing is that it can be a type of material that snags on your butt pad when you try and mount
what i tend to do is chuck a skeet jacket over the top of my snagy material wet weather clothes because you're right most half decent wet weather gear is essentially a black bin liner and sticks to everything

In over 55 years of shooting both game and clays, I think I have had a jacket made from most of the materials used to keep us dry in one guise or another. It has taken me a long time and a lot of money to learn that there simply is not a 'one size fits all' jacket out there.  I have settled, for clay shooting, on the layer system, which for me has proved to be a success. I have gone down the road of walking/hiking gear (pun intended) from the base layer up, with the odd golfing top thrown in. Rohan walking trousers with a waterproof drop liner for the bottom half. Easily washed and quick drying and TOTALLY waterproof, the downside is, they are a bit warm indoors.  A thin but warm base layer (not merino, I'm allergic to wool) topped by a zip neck fleece or a zip neck windproof golf top (weather dependent), followed by a Browning Masters vest. If the weather looks any way inclement, then it a string type shooting vest over a Rohan packable wind and waterproof jacket. IF it gets warm, the jacket folds up into its own front pocket and stores in the back pocket of my skeet vest until needed. If you wait until the Rohan sales, then most of the items can be purchased at a very reasonable price. ALL of the purpose made shooting jackets by Browning, Beretta, Castellani and Musto were good at keeping out the rain, but if the weather was in any ways warm, I ended up like a boil in the bag chicken  !  I find that to shoot well, I need to be comfortable.  Rohan (and I suppose others too) have a January sale coming up in er..............................January, with a budget of £200, you should be able to equip yourself from head to toe and from skin outwards. Enjoy your Christmas and check out the walking and golfing clothing ranges.

I recently bought a Baleno Oakwood jacket from Ardmor for £160 with my 10% discount. 

I can fit fifty cartridges in each pocket which have magnets and a popper on a strap to keep the  flaps up. There are two hand warmer pockets, two lower pockets, an inside pocket and a pocket across the back where I can fit gloves, sunglasses, towel etc. I can zip a fleece gilet inside or a full sleeve fleece. The cuffs are adjustable and have storm inner cuffs. The hood is adjustable and removable. All in all a great jacket for me. Perhaps  a bit too country looking, but doesn’t look at all tweedy or Barbour like

I recently bought a Baleno Oakwood jacket from Ardmor for £160 with my 10% discount. 

I can fit fifty cartridges in each pocket which have magnets and a popper on a strap to keep the  flaps up. There are two hand warmer pockets, two lower pockets, an inside pocket and a pocket across the back where I can fit gloves, sunglasses, towel etc. I can zip a fleece gilet inside or a full sleeve fleece. The cuffs are adjustable and have storm inner cuffs. The hood is adjustable and removable. All in all a great jacket for me. Perhaps  a bit too country looking, but doesn’t look at all tweedy or Barbour like
You will soon realize if your jacket is 'too country like' when other clay shooters give you a wide berth  !         :hyper:

It would be a great field coat, but my waterproof top layer folds up to around 6" square by 2" deep and goes easily into the rear pocket on my skeet vest. Really good on those showery days when you are a good way from the clubhouse.
The Fenland packs away in to its self, probably not much bigger than you say. It's very thin and not designed to be anything other than a waterproof/windproof top layer.

My skeet vest hasn't got a rear pocket though!!!!!

Both my wife and myself have had Pavillion waterproof shooting jackets for about 10 years, bought from Highlodge, Sufffolk although I don;t think they sell them anymore but whilst we don't go out to shoot in the rain, there are many times when the rain has come down whilst already out and these jackets are superb. I normally wear mine as a general winter shooting jacket with some micro fllece underneath and they are very comfortable to shoot in. I don't know who sells them in the UK however.

http://www.shootinggear.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=24

Phil

Back