Where to try....?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McTrucky

Hi all,

Newbie in here, so be gentle 😅

Read lots of good advice about trying before buying, and never buy a gun without shooting it as a shop is a very different environment to a shooting ground.

I have Beretta 682 sporter I have been out with a few times since starting to shoot again after 30 year break, but 30 years ago shot Miroku 7000 sporter,  and 38 (or was it a 3800?) trap gun to pretty good effect.  And back then I knew everybody and everybody knew me, so if I wanted to try a Winchester or whatever there was no problem borrowing and trying.

Fast forward to today, and I am looking to get a trap gun, and like the idea of two guns the same make, and even model, in trap and sporting configuration.   Logically I could get a Beretta to match my sporter,  but I am not convinced I like the 682....  just not 'at one' with the gun.  Also I am a lefty,  and the 682 is if anything marginally right cast.

So...  can you recommend any shooting grounds that have various guns available to try/rent/lend so I can have a good play around...  I am in Surrey, but willing to travel if there is someplace ideal to go to.  May well be that I try and like a left handed 682, and that I don't buy one and simply get mine cast.  Or I could end up with a pair of new guns. 

Ideally I want good condition second hand guns, and would have a budget of around £2500 for the pair.  My thoughts were to go to the shooting show in Feb and make my mind up there as that may offer me the greatest opportunity to feel loads of options, but I would miss out on firing the guns, so would know nothing about trigger feel, recoil, or indeed if the thing is pointing the way I think it is.

Thanks

hi, you say you had a miroku 38/3800 and did well with it , why change something that already works ? try a mk38 trap/sporter.

I don’t know about the grounds at your end of the world I’m afraid . However a budget of £2500 to get a pair of similar left handed guns   ( 1x sporter 1x Trap )  seems a tall order .  Lots of sporting shooters shoot trap guns In the sporting disciplines .  I agree with JK  so If you can get on with that approach you could end up with a lot of gun for £2500 . The MK38 trap can have a very straight stock and be had with an adjustable comb , which might sort out the left hand issue . £600 at Teague would multichoke it . . 

Last edited by a moderator:
Physically, I am not the same as I was 30 years ago...  but in my mind I am hankering after a Miroku or Citori; fond memories.

Got some movement on budget, but head was thinking £12 or £1300 would get me a reasonable second hand gun.  Maybe need a reality check ..

Chris Potters at Tunbridge Wells always has a big range in stock and will let you take out second hand or demo guns to try them (you have to leave your licence with them).  West Kent (Paddock Wood and only open on weekdays) or Willow Farm (Tenterden) aren't a million miles away from the shop and I've tried out guns from Potters at those grounds.

Otherwise you're probably looking at a bit of a trek for shops at grounds with a really big range.  The ones with the biggest shops that I know of are Ian Coley (Cheltenham way) and Avalon Guns (Mendip Shooting Ground in Somerset).

Just had a look on Potters website.  They have a left handed MK38 in stock for just over a grand (you could probably get it for less, they are usually up for a haggle).

https://www.gunpricing.co.uk/shotguns.php?submit=1&make=Miroku&pre_owned=1

Budget wise if this helps, I tried a Miroku 3800, 28" barrels, excellent condition, grade 1, 1982 vintage, teague choked flush fitting. Asking price but willing to haggle 600. I had it for the 72 hrs and was going to haggle but when I went to pay, was offered a 2013 Miroku 38 sporter, 32" barrels, just returned to dealer, one owner, grade 1, teague multi choked, just 75 more.

From what I see, guns cost more the further south you travel. Of course i could be wrong.

My son has been quoted 1460 new, for a MK 38 game, multi choke.

Hope that helps with pricing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bebo, exactly the sort of info I needed.  Seen LH 38 grade trap guns around the £800 to £1k mark.  So pretty confident I can get what I am after on my budget. I can always move to a higher grade later. 

Thanks also CentrePin, that is where my head is at.  New 38 multi for about £1500 must mean used immaculate ones for £1200 or less 😁

Just need to handle a few, 425,525,625,725,38,686,CGs, Winchesters, etc.

Think I'll give the guys in the west country a call. 

Try Churchills in Lane End, Marlow. Their gun shop has a huge stock of, lets say, lower end guns for people to use when having lessons as well as second hand and new stock. It was where I was gonna go having seen a 682 Onyx reasonably priced in the shop itself and was gonna compare but then got a deal on a second hand 32" B525 which just felt better in my huge hands.

Should get what you want for your budget. Ian Coleys has a large selection and a good shooting  ground on site, with knowledgeable chaps. They usually have an open day in April if you can wait that long. All makes available to try and all their 2nd had stuff too.

Doveridge also have loads of demo guns and 2nd available to try on their ground.

My go to rfd is Brierley guns but alas no ground to try on, but they are superb. They are the developers of the Bloxham special. ( mk 38 with teagues etc. ). Really know their stuff.

jasper.

Maybe should start a different thread on this,  but...

Any thoughts on buying a Browning 725 with adjustable comb and just having one gun.  Comb up for DTL or OT and down for Sporting or Skeet.  Brand new there is change out of £2k doing this.  

I shoot a sporting gun with an adjustable comb and it's set up quite high so I see loads of rib.  I never lose a crossing target behind the barrels that way and even most teal are visible above the barrel when I shoot them (unless they are going like sh*t off a shovel).  Lots of sporting shooters do the same, including ones that are much better than I am.  I know that Ed Solomon see a lot of rib and I'm pretty sure that Hamster on here has posted in the past that he does too.

Happy Christmas to me 😎

Just got a 725 sporter and 525 trap, both almost immaculate (the 525 would pass for new) with a few freebie bits for my £2,500.

Came from Chris Potter in Tunbridge Wells as suggested above.  Pleasure doing business with them.

Now just need to get out and play with them .

Well done.  They are nice guys at Potters.

Willow Farm has a 100 bird sporting shoot on tomorrow for £27 and Kingscote (near East Grinstead) and Northall (Fletching) are both on on Friday.  You can tell that I have my Christmas shooting calendar filled in can't you?

Happy Christmas to me 😎

Just got a 725 sporter and 525 trap, both almost immaculate (the 525 would pass for new) with a few freebie bits for my £2,500.

Came from Chris Potter in Tunbridge Wells as suggested above.  Pleasure doing business with them.

Now just need to get out and play with them .
Chris Potters is our local gun shop and they are a very friendly bunch and will go out their way to help you. Need to get out shooting now!

Phil and I are based near Tunbridge Wells so will be at Kingscote on Friday, I’m never off Saturdays (the normal shoot day for there) so it will be a virgin ground for me.  Looking forward to it as I’m a great fan of David and Jamie’s targets, challenging and fun.  Might see some of you there.  Happy shooting 

All being well I'll get down to either or both the shoots mentioned above.  Cheers all.

Latest posts

Back