Shooting clothing.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westley

Every now and again the subject of winter clothing appears on the Forum and I have recently found an excellent top, which does not require too many,  if any, additional layers. It is called Zerofit. I saw their advert and a review in a fishing magazine,  took a chance and bought one. I have been absolutely delighted with it. Last week in Scotland, I was out in a blizzard, with an outside temperature of minus 3 degrees. Apart from the top, I had a lightweight waterproof jacket  and trousers and that was it. I was far from cold. They do several tops, all of which would be applicable to our sport and what an excellent Company to deal with. I had occasion to email them regarding washing advice for the garment. An almost instant reply resolved the issue.  OK, the top was £50, but was post free and did include a thermal bobble hat. My top has been washed in a washing machine and dried very quickly, so quick and easy to clean. As said, it is the warmest top that I have ever worn and if you feel the cold, then it is money well spent. I have just ordered a second one.

Sorry, unable to do link things but a Goggle on Zerofit, and a superb website will be revealed.

Just to  add to above,  I have had email telling me the top I ordered this morning will be delivered tomorrow  !

Last edited by a moderator:
I hardly ever buy shooting clothing now. I purchased at Christmas a pair of thermal, wind proof and waterproof trousers from a company called AÇAI, they look exactly like a ‘normal’ pair of chino trousers and I wore them in the rain on Tuesday  and lo and behold they worked!  The tops I buy are normally golf or fishing ones as they have room to swing etc.  I purchased the thinnest wind/rain proof top for running and decided to try it for shooting and I only need to wear a couple of thin thermal/compression tops underneath.  It’s therefore not bulky at all and I feel like I’m not wearing too much that my gun doesn’t fit!  I tend to buy winter stuff in the summer sales and vice versa. It’s so nice when you buy something and it works 🤗🤗🤗

Just looked them up, looks really good.  It’s our wedding anniversary this weekend so might treat ourselves.  Looks like the Under Armour stuff but better.

Purchased!  If they arrive by Saturday I’ll wear it the weekend at Westfield!  

I wear a lot of base layer and fleece tops from Mountain Warehouse when I’m shooting…they are cheaper than the popular brands and I find the quality just as good; and if you catch them when they have their sale on you can pick up some bargains.

We buy most of our bits from sportsshoes.com   Every brand you can think of, all at reduced rates and excellent service and returns if needed. 

Every now and again the subject of winter clothing appears on the Forum and I have recently found an excellent top, which does not require too many,  if any, additional layers. It is called Zerofit. I saw their advert and a review in a fishing magazine,  took a chance and bought one. I have been absolutely delighted with it. Last week in Scotland, I was out in a blizzard, with an outside temperature of minus 3 degrees. Apart from the top, I had a lightweight waterproof jacket  and trousers and that was it. I was far from cold. They do several tops, all of which would be applicable to our sport and what an excellent Company to deal with. I had occasion to email them regarding washing advice for the garment. An almost instant reply resolved the issue.  OK, the top was £50, but was post free and did include a thermal bobble hat. My top has been washed in a washing machine and dried very quickly, so quick and easy to clean. As said, it is the warmest top that I have ever worn and if you feel the cold, then it is money well spent. I have just ordered a second one.

Sorry, unable to do link things but a Goggle on Zerofit, and a superb website will be revealed.

Just to  add to above,  I have had email telling me the top I ordered this morning will be delivered tomorrow  !
So which one out of their range do you have?

I use Rohan stuff a lot and have done for years, their waterproof clothing is excellent and not bulky, so ideal for clayshooting.  I have base layer tops from just about every manufacturer, some go undermearms  and some under me other bits, however I have NEVER worn anything that is as light, close fitting (even over me beer gut) or as warm as this Zerofit material.  I have ordered a slightly cooler one for wearing at grounds that have lung busting hills built in. The heavier one is great for the flatlands that I live in. Some good vids on Zerofit on YouTube. 

So which one out of their range do you have?
The original is the Ultimate and I have just ordered the 'Move', a lighter version.

westley said:
I use Rohan stuff a lot and have done for years, their waterproof clothing is excellent and not bulky, so ideal for clayshooting.  I have base layer tops from just about every manufacturer, some go undermearms  and some under me other bits, however I have NEVER worn anything that is as light, close fitting (even over me beer gut) or as warm as this Zerofit material.  I have ordered a slightly cooler one for wearing at grounds that have lung busting hills built in. The heavier one is great for the flatlands that I live in. Some good vids on Zerofit on YouTube. 

The original is the Ultimate and I have just ordered the 'Move', a lighter version.
One word of warning, my top had pilled on the left side, due to friction off the seat belt in my car. Most of it has disappeared in washing, but in future I will put a cloth between me and the seat belt. It has NOT affected the top in any way.

I am retired I can't afford clothes 🤣🤣
Ah yes, the er 'Naked Gun'  !

I should warn you he could be coming to a shoot near you   !     🙄

I hardly ever buy shooting clothing now. I purchased at Christmas a pair of thermal, wind proof and waterproof trousers from a company called AÇAI, they look exactly like a ‘normal’ pair of chino trousers and I wore them in the rain on Tuesday  and lo and behold they worked!  The tops I buy are normally golf or fishing ones as they have room to swing etc.  I purchased the thinnest wind/rain proof top for running and decided to try it for shooting and I only need to wear a couple of thin thermal/compression tops underneath.  It’s therefore not bulky at all and I feel like I’m not wearing too much that my gun doesn’t fit!  I tend to buy winter stuff in the summer sales and vice versa. It’s so nice when you buy something and it works 🤗🤗🤗

Just looked them up, looks really good.  It’s our wedding anniversary this weekend so might treat ourselves.  Looks like the Under Armour stuff but better.

Purchased!  If they arrive by Saturday I’ll wear it the weekend at Westfield!  
I do not think that you will be disappointed. IF you are driving in the top  without another layer, be aware that my car seat belt buckle rubbed the material and cause pilling.  It did come out in washing though. I now put a duster that I keep in the door pocket, between the seat belt and the top.

Woolpower or Odlo Merinowool Underwear 200g/m² or thicker 400g/m². Very warm and comfortable. When it is very cold I wear my Carinthia MILG Jacket, but more for hunting than for shooting.

Second the stuff on Mountain Warehouse - I would not buy it at full price but in the sales and out of season it is good stuff at reasonable price.

I have also ordered a Zerofit - the Move one - and I will report my findings.

I ordered the Move top on Thursday, it was delivered yesterday. I plan on using it tomorrow, although temperatures are due to rise. I have avoided the Merino wool version of ANY tops, being allergic to wool, I am unable to wear them.

Our Move tops arrived today so didn’t get to wear them at the shoot but will wear it next Sunday.  First impressions are good, I brought the Small, I’m normally 10/12 and it fits perfectly, it’s stylish and comfortable and feels nice next to the skin.  

Agree mountain warehouse and in latest pull magazine has arrived with 20% discount vouchers.😂👍

Golf attire is also generally excellent and ideal for shooting , also far cheaper.

I have been shooting for over 55 years. I have made do with ex army gear, wax jackets etc. I have now come to my senses and realised that if you are uncomfortable due to the weather, you are NOT going to enjoy the day or even shoot well. I now buy clothing that does not require 6 or 7 layers and bulky jackets to feel comfortable. I have tops from Tresspass, Mountain Warehouse and several others and to be honest, in my humble opinion they are not even close to the 2 Zerofit tops that I have. On mild days, I do not require a top coat or sweater over the base layer, just the base layer alone is warm enough. If it is dry, I wear a wind proof top over the base layer, if wet then it's a lightweight waterproof jacket over just the base layer. The tops are incredibly warm and need a minimum of layers over them. There is no substitute for comfort.

Mine has arrived. I will give it a "shooting" go at the weekend.

So far it looks very good quality and trying it on for 5 minutes (in a warm house) showed it does the heat retention thing very well.

It's a quite an interesting blend of soft fleece inner and harder outer 'shell' - bit like wearing a light fleece and then polyester base layer over the top but without any risk of slippage of the fabrics. It does seem perfect for shooting.

Given the above description, I now understand why I've never been offered a job in the fashion industry.

Barbury today and it was very windy.  Wore the Move top with just my skeet vest over the top and it was brilliant.  I wore a normal gilet in between stands and I never felt cold once. Most shooters I saw had thick coats on (the one and only benefit of the menopause! 🤣🤣)  It kept the wind out (which I wasn’t expecting) and was extremely comfortable to shoot in.  It’s in the wash now ready for the next shoot!  BTW I had a doomer of a day shooting wise so it didn’t help me that way but at least I felt nice!! 

Wore my move top last Wednesday in a howling gale. Just put a thin wind/waterproof jacket over it and then my skeet vest. Had to open the zip on the jacket after the first 3 stands. I shot my best score for a while so I belive I have the clothing right. The other guys I was shooting with had on more layers than a kids 'pass the parcel' party game  !

Back