Vest or Pouches?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vest for most days, pouch for hot days or when it is p!ssing down.  I have a leather pouch with a divider so cartridges in the rear bit and missed shell cases in the other. Works for me.

When I first started shooting a pouch seemed to be the hot setup.  But I soon decided that having that thing hanging on my waist was just not making it.  So, vests from then on.  There was an old guy in SoCal that did custom vests ($60 at the time - yeah, long time ago) that were just perfect.  I had a couple of those but he is long gone now and the vests have no elastic so not quite the fit anymore - but still usable!

Still a number of custom ones available here but I've gone to Beretta.  I do still have a 10X mesh thing that I use now and then but the Beretta things a re so well made and fit so nicely that they are pretty much the go to item.  Great pockets and leather pad.  Top line stuff.  Better than the Castellanis AFAIC.

JMO of course

It's quite discipline specific. Many trap and skeet shooters prefer a pouch whereas I can't think I've ever seen a sporting shooter with one (although I don't visit sporting grounds often). As others have said, pouches seem to have spread to the UK from the US where they're much more common.

Personally, and despite the profile photograph, i'm a pouch man. I only wear a vest when I have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of sporting shooters use pouches including the lovely Cheryl, George and I think Mark M.

It's quite discipline specific. Many trap and skeet shooters prefer a pouch whereas I can't think I've ever seen a sporting shooter with one (although I don't visit sporting grounds often). As others have said, pouches seem to have spread to the UK from the US where they're much more common.

Personally, and despite the profile photograph, i'm a pouch man. I only wear a vest when I have to.
Me too, I am the same with me longjohns !

Even a mesh vest gets too warm in really warm weather.

Pouch works well for sporttrap/fitasc/skeet but walking round a big sporting layout it can get to be a bit of a pain, but then so is a 200 cartridge bag with chokes, key, screwdriver, water, gloves, pen, phone car keys ........

A golf buggy starts to look appealing, or perhaps a ruggedised mobility scooter.  :)

Vest for me as I need four pockets for 6 1/2s 7 1/2s 8 s and 9s  and another for all my chokes. And an inside one for all my pens and pencils.

Even a mesh vest gets too warm in really warm weather.

Pouch works well for sporttrap/fitasc/skeet but walking round a big sporting layout it can get to be a bit of a pain, but then so is a 200 cartridge bag with chokes, key, screwdriver, water, gloves, pen, phone car keys ........

A golf buggy starts to look appealing, or perhaps a ruggedised mobility scooter.  :)
I've always wanted a decent excuse to buy my own golf buggy....

Vest and pants for me every time. 

Tuck the the vest in between November and May. 

Well, I did say I don't visit Sporting grounds often, it gets my shoes muddy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Vest and a cartridge bag for me all my carts in the bag then just take what I need out and in my pockets. I found all the carts in my pockets rolled my shoulders forward and messed my mount up. 

Vest 95% of the time for me, apart from on VERY hot days (Madrid @ 41deg anyone?) when I will use a pouch. 

In light of some 'extractor' problems I will be slinging the 'pouch'.
I wore a best all day today, and luckily didn't experience any 'extractor' issues.... It did sweat my knackers off mind, so probably just as bad....

Back