Applying for SGC - medical barriers (ongoing updates)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlayTheClay

Hi all,

So, as mentioned in my introduction post - I am in the process of applying for my SGC.

I have done numerous searches of the internet and it is very difficult to find sound answers to a scenario that I am in at present, so I have decided to log my process in this forum. I will update as I go through each stage and it can be used as a learning tool for future applicants in a similar situation to myself.

Let me explain. This is going to be a very personal post and I would appreciate that if you have nothing of respect to say, you don't comment - I appreciate that this is the internet but I would hazard a guess that if you have taken the time to sign up to such a forum, you have a degree of decorum. I can but hope!

In around 2011/12, I had an unfortunate bout of depression. I sought help from the NHS and was subsequently diagnosed with a personality disorder. As a result of the diagnosis and intervention, I was placed on a course of medication. This only lasted 3 months and my GP ceased the prescription. I was taken off medication all together and decided to seek alternative methods of therapy - this has been ongoing and is in the form of gym use, martial arts and yoga.

I have no current treatment plan in place, no medication, no outpatient appointments, no therapy. None. I am self managed with great success and have been since 2012. However, I have the diagnosis, it is not going away and believe me, the stigma does me no favours.

I discussed my application with my local FAO and was advised to speak to my GP and see if I could get a report to accompany my application to help matters. This was a no-go as the GP would only reply to a formal request from the FAO.

I spoke to BASC who advised that I book an appointment with my GP and have a face-to-face and discuss my history and current presentation. I have done this. My meeting with my GP did not leave me full of confidence. She did not want to take responsibility for giving the green light because a personality disorder sits in a grey area between mild depression and psychosis - despite me being free of treatment - the stigma is there to haunt me. So, she has suggested that I get re-referred into a consultant psychiatrist who can re-assess me if you like and make a professional recommendation. Fair play to the GP, it is a big responsibility. It just does not fill me with confidence.

So that is where I am at present. Application will be sent off on 1st March with a copy of my BASC membership and CPSA Shotgun Skills certificate to beef it up a little. The rest is in the hands of my FAO, GP and Psychiatrist (if they accept the referral!).

The irony in all of this is the fact that I am a mental health professional myself!

Fingers crossed, I will be shooting at the end of 2018!

The unfortunate truth is, when it comes to firearms applications, you never really free yourself of the shadow of depression even if your treatment has long since finished. That said, you’re now 6 years on with, I assume, no relapses. You ought to be OK. Firearms licensing staff generally take a pragmatic view providing your GP doesn’t express any specific concerns.

Good luck and keep talking to your FEO, they’re there to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
The unfortunate truth is, when it comes to firearms applications, you never really free yourself of the shadow of depression even if your treatment has long since finished. That said, you’re now 6 years on with, I assume, no relapses. You ought to be OK. Firearms licensing staff generally take a pragmatic view providing your GP doesn’t express any specific concerns.

Good luck and keep talking to your FEO, they’re there to help.
Hi Jan,

Thank you for your response.

I will do all that I can to ensure I am at least listened too and not just brushed aside; if the end result, after all attempts have been exhausted, is that I am refused, then I have tried my best.

My GP is being very professional and I totally understand it. However, the stigma is often more damaging than the concern itself!

I remain hopeful.

STC.

Back