Trigger technique

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyosk

I was wondering if anybody had suffered this ? It was suggested that my ongoing second barrel issue could be to do with not releasing enough pressure on the trigger between first and second barrels blocking the reset somehow.

I was wondering if anybody had suffered from this and if so what is the cure ? As I'm completely aware of my trigger technique, never given it any thought. Not when there's eye dominance, hold points, chokes and light to worry about....

Thanks

D

Could be a number of things, trigger setting as in length of pull, is it adj ?

the grip radius could be wrong for you etc etc. We need more in depth info really before we can offer an opinion.

Hi Ips,

No the trigger isn't adjustable and I had the gun fitted to me last year so I'm pretty confident in the fit. Bit of a confusion really as it's so inconsistent.

D

So let me see if I have this right.

you have occasions were second barrel doesn't work .

stock is fitted so we assume its right ie iength of pull, etc

no mechanical problem with trigger I assume

without wishing to state the obvious your not realeasing fully for some reason (which you obviously know)

do you wear gloves ? Could this be the cause ?

is it recent as in cold winter ? Could it be cold making your finger joints stiff ?

do you think you have hit the target with first barrel and have remained on the trigger ?

whatever the reason try shooting some trap dtl or abt and shoot some fragments to see if you can get to the bottom of it.

thats the best I can come up with.

Thanks for the suggestions I do wear gloves come rain or shine.......think I will try some dtl and see what happens. Just hope it is mechanical and not mental...so much easier to fix. I will let you know how it/ I progress with it.

I've noticed that when shooting pull triggers I have trouble when I wrap my finger too much around the trigger.  Gripping too close to the trigger will put too much finger around it in my experience.  I grip the gun so that I can't get more than the first pad on the trigger.

But that could just be me, old and stupid

Charlie

I occasionally have trouble with my second barrel not being a smooth pull or sometimes not being able to pull it. I think it is mechanical I tried cleaning the action and it helped a bit but it still gives trouble so I am going to take it to the gunsmith and see if he can help out. Sounds like you could have a similar problem what gun do you shoot? I have a Browning and out of one hundred targets so lets say 140 to 150 trigger pulls I can get 4 or 5 less than perfect responses.

Thanks for the suggestions I do wear gloves come rain or shine.......think I will try some dtl and see what happens. Just hope it is mechanical and not mental...so much easier to fix. I will let you know how it/ I progress with it.
If as IPS has hinted you're having trouble being able to fire a second time then the gloves will not help. I experience one or three (failure to re-cocks) per round even with the thinnest of gloves hence won't wear any. 

This issue can and does arise without gloves being the root cause too though, tenseness leading to your failure to let go of the trigger and allow it to re-set for the second barrel. Usually once you know the cause the problem slowly goes away as you learn to let go sufficiently in between shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the help, I will work on trigger technique this weekend. It will be interesting to see if I can get the second barrel to consistently fire.

I occasionally have trouble with my second barrel not being a smooth pull or sometimes not being able to pull it. I think it is mechanical I tried cleaning the action and it helped a bit but it still gives trouble so I am going to take it to the gunsmith and see if he can help out. Sounds like you could have a similar problem what gun do you shoot? I have a Browning and out of one hundred targets so lets say 140 to 150 trigger pulls I can get 4 or 5 less than perfect responses.
Hi jwpzx9r, I have a citori and a miroku 600.

Sorry to ask this, but are you a slapper or a squeezer? I have heard that former pistol or rifle shooters can tend to squeeze and often do not fully release the trigger before attempting to fire again. The great Malcolm Cooper had such a problem as far as I remember,but he learned to slap the trigger,just a thought.

Sorry to ask this, but are you a slapper or a squeezer? I have heard that former pistol or rifle shooters can tend to squeeze and often do not fully release the trigger before attempting to fire again. The great Malcolm Cooper had such a problem as far as I remember,but he learned to slap the trigger,just a thought.
And you must understand that the "slapping" term is a relative one.  Even tho I tend to sorta lean on the trigger even with pull triggers,  I still consider myself to be a slapper.  And that would just be the 2nd barrel since I use a release for the first.

And you must understand that the "slapping" term is a relative one.  Even tho I tend to sorta lean on the trigger even with pull triggers,  I still consider myself to be a slapper.  And that would just be the 2nd barrel since I use a release for the first.
Yes Charlie I know what you mean. Apparently ex practical pistol and rapid fire pistol shooters have little problem with slapping.

Les

Your comment about Malcolm Cooper is surprising as he shot single shot bolt action rifles in his small-bore Olympic career so there was no second shot to worry about.

With his target rifle you could either have a single or a two stage trigger weight adjustable to very very low set offs weights like 50 grams.  You can also adjust the trigger to either have a back stop or not after squeezing the trigger.

They do say that 50 metre Olympic free pistol shooters can use what might be described as a slap as opposed to a squeeze so as not to deflect the gun with the trigger going off but I prefer a squeeze but that's just me and I'm nowhere near that standard.

Hi jwpzx9r, I have a citori and a miroku 600.
Well the action on the guns are very similar but if you are getting the same problem with both guns I would think it unlikely that the problem is lying with the gun! So kind of indicates there is a problem with your trigger pull technique ! What happens with mine I am totally convinced is down to the trigger mechanism sometimes I have a very gritty first trigger pull other times I get a total block on the second pull.

Les

Your comment about Malcolm Cooper is surprising as he shot single shot bolt action rifles in his small-bore Olympic career so there was no second shot to worry about.

With his target rifle you could either have a single or a two stage trigger weight adjustable to very very low set offs weights like 50 grams.  You can also adjust the trigger to either have a back stop or not after squeezing the trigger.

They do say that 50 metre Olympic free pistol shooters can use what might be described as a slap as opposed to a squeeze so as not to deflect the gun with the trigger going off but I prefer a squeeze but that's just me and I'm nowhere near that standard.
Yes exactly Rob,he was not used to triggers of 4lbs and not used to hitting a trigger by instinct or reflex twice in close succession. Nor was he used to a retreating target which panicked him initially. He had a Winchester trap gun which had a fair amount of travel in the trigger,so unless it was released fully it would not fire the second tube.

Ah - I didn't know he'd done any clay shooting!
Yes Rob I guess it would have been in the early 90's when I shot at the RW trap club at Bisley, which at that time was the only place to shoot clays on the site. He wanted to try clay shooting and knew about the club,so one day he just turned up! He never really got to grips with shotguns though,totally different to what he was used to of course.

Ps it may have even been back in the 80's when I shot at the RW trap club!!! Time flies!!

My vote goes with the "it's the gloves" I had the same problem from time time, so I got some of those Seal Skin gloves, the ones you can pull back the trigger fingers. 

Latest posts

Back