First Gun Budget.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Hi folks, looking for some advice on a first gun. I shoot my local ground's 525 and get on really well with it, even if it's a bit shagged.

I usually try to go for pro-sumer levels of equipment, rather than starting out with something cheaper that I reach its limits with.

With that in mind I had been looking at either a prosport or a 694 as my first gun. But now I'm not so sure. My shooting is funded by a side hustle which has slowed down a little recently. So do I get a 525 right now, or continue to save and get a higher spec'd gun, perhaps by the end of the year? I really don't plan on swapping guns regularly, I like to invest in tools and keep them so it does feel a little like settling. But I might never be good enough to warrant a Competition level gun.

I do also feel like having 3/4k to spend will open much more options than just the two I like so far.

Opinions please?

525 sporter 1 or two. With adjustable comb. Have it fitted properly.  All the gun anyone ever needs. Lots of top shots are using 525/ miroku (same gun essentially) . Trust me this gun will outshoot you or anyone else for that matter. They last forever and if you do trade "up" as you put it, then you will have good residual value.

Anything else is show/lust. (But nothing wrong with that)

If you must spend the cash then add a browning xs Pro to your list. 

Jasper. 

Personally I'd go for a 2nd hand 525 sporter with adjustable comb, Miroku or Silver Pigeon. A lot of people change their guns after the first year, and by buying a 2nd hand popular gun, you're not going to lose much when you trade it in. My first was a 2nd hand  525SL with 30" barrels. After a year i bought a 32" XS Pro, which is essentially the same gun as the 525SL, just with a different forend and longer barrels. I prefered the trap style forend on the XS over the schnabel on the SL, and as I'm 6ft4, 32" barrels seem to suit me better than 30".

If you're going to spend £3-4K on a new gun,  XS Pro does seem to be a popular 2nd gun. Also have a look at the new Ultra XS Black Laminate, if you like the laminate look ( and its about £1K cheaper than the XS Pro)

Yeah, when I was in the shop last he showed me the black laminate. He is getting them in but they don't land until around October. I've had to shoot with a silver pigeon if the 525 is out and it really didn't fit me. I ended up mismounting so badly I ended up bruising my shoulder.

I suppose using a 525 in a part exchange makes sense too.

I might have to trawl guntrader for a 2nd hand 525. It's awesome when everyone selling describes it slightly differently so there's 150 different boxes to tick to search for a 525. 😒

Like Daz says, don't expect to just go out and buy a gun for the long term. No one ever gets away with that and It's 10:1 you'll be looking for a change within 12-18 months.

A good used mid range gun from any of the big names will serve you well whilst you get up to speed and start figuring out what you really want for the next step (which won't be your last BTW!).

No matter what a gun feels like in the shop or up at the club, by the time you've put a few thousand down the pipes you'll be learning what's right about it and what isn't. Also your shooting style and method are likely to evolve over time and you'll start to think about stuff like trigger pulls and barrel weight/length.

After 11 years reffing I can't tell you how often I've seen the "All the gear and no idea" merchants as well as those who change guns constantly. You can't buy scores so take your time and choose with your head not your heart.

I agree with the others.

The only other point to make is whether you will sell that first gun. If you are going to sell it on later, accept that you will and as advised pick something standard that will retain its value. If not then resale value is not a factor and (avoiding bling) there’s nothing wrong with a non Beretta, Browning or Miroku option.

Browning/Miroku’s tend to have deeper and heavier actions with more weight between the hands than say a Beretta. If, as you suggest, that works for you it is unlikely to change much. You may therefore feel an adjustable stock is a good idea but its only worthwhile if its setup right and then left well alone for a good while. There are plenty of other thinks associated with stock fit (pitch, LOP) which might change anyway. The first year is always a learning curve not least in gun fit and what works best for you.

Scotty, another thread on the subject that you may be interested to read. 

sorry, link didn’t work well.. click top right on the arrow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the laminate stock softer shooting than the wooden 👍
GJD I initially looked at the laminate as I didn't mind the non traditional looks. I would likely be run out of well to do game shoots with my taste in guns, but I don't like the schnable forend. I think you might get the laminate with a trap forend but if you do they are thin on the ground. The new XS Pro Ltd edition comes with one, along with black laminate which is nicer than the grey. But that then puts me right back to saving longer for a higher spec'd gun as opposed to getting a second hand 525 right now.

Scotty, another thread on the subject that you may be interested to read. 

sorry, link didn’t work well.. click top right on the arrow. 

Thanks Will, you posted useful advice and right under one of my own posts too! It was obviously still playing on my mind. I can see the force in buying second hand if for no other reason that it gets you out shooting and depending on model and how you look after it it could well work out cheaper than renting a gun when it comes time to px it for a newer/better/more appropriate gun.

Latest posts

Back