Time for shot

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your not one of those, put cartridges in so lettering is correct way up then twiddle em a bit then stare at em sorts are ya ?
No mate - I just look at the ground 

No mate - I just look at the ground 
I know somebody is going to tell me I am wrong ... but that may actually not be the best idea. The reason I say that, especially if it is a very bright day is that your pupil's of your eyes will dilate considerably when you look at the ground then when you look up out over the fosse to where you will see the target the extra brightness will cause them to constrict when you may not actually want that then it takes a bit of time for the eyes to equilibrate as it were. I think this is a recipe for tired eyes to be honest. I think its best to give them less work and just stare straight ahead again JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know somebody is going to tell me I am wrong ... but that may actually not be the best idea. The reason I say that, especially if it is a very bright day is that your pupil's of your eyes will dilate considerably when you look at the ground then when you look up out over the fosse to where you will see the target the extra brightness will cause them to constrict when you may not actually want that then it takes a bit of time for the eyes to equilibrate as it were. I think this is a recipe for tired eyes to be honest. I think its best to give them less work and just stare straight ahead again JMO.
generally speaking this is good advice from john. But if other stuff works fill your boots

But you must hear the ref calling loss.
very true and you have to learn to ignore it. Somehow its easier to ignore that than something visual such as the despair on the face of the shooter ?

Time is taken from when the target breaks or the horn/buzzer sounds

And your eyes should be looking ahead well before you mount the gun anyway and noting the preceding target is a given.  Make life easy for your eyes and give them plenty of time to accommodate to the distance.  You should not need to look at the gun to close it or mount it.

And your eyes should be looking ahead well before you mount the gun anyway and noting the preceding target is a given.  Make life easy for your eyes and give them plenty of time to accommodate to the distance.  You should not need to look at the gun to close it or mount it.
Joe someone or other from down Derbyshire way gave me just that advice back in the early 90's...............even though I do not shoot much Trap nowadays, I have NEVER forgotten it !

Don't think so the preceding shooter has the right to use both barrels whether or not he makes a first barrel hit, a great many do. One really top notch shot at the club I shoot at uses both barrels almost every time he calls a target. I would not start levelling my gun while another shooter is swinging his to be honest.

9.7.3 Preparation Time Limit
 An athlete must take his/her position, close the gun and call
for the target within twelve (12) seconds after the previous
athlete has fired at a regular target and the result is
registered  
(that would be the broken target or the buzzer),
or after the Referee has given the command
“START”;
 In case of non-compliance with this time limit, the penalties
provided in the rules will be applied; and
 Where squads consist of five (5) or less athletes, preparation
time must be extended to give the athlete leaving Station 5
sufficient additional time to arrive at Station 1.

Two things here get my goat.

1 the clock starts when the target is brocken or buzed,but there is no rule on how long the next mic should become live.

2 A top GB team member refed my squad and i said how much longer will the time limit be with a 5 man squad he said it will stay the same?

Two things here get my goat.

1 the clock starts when the target is brocken or buzed,but there is no rule on how long the next mic should become live.

2 A top GB team member refed my squad and i said how much longer will the time limit be with a 5 man squad he said it will stay the same?
with a 5 man squad the ref should allow extra time to allow for the transition from p5 to p1.

its in the rules, but dont have the time to sift through them at the moment.

9.7.3 Preparation Time Limit
 An athlete must take his/her position, close the gun and call
for the target within twelve (12) seconds after the previous
athlete has fired at a regular target and the result is
registered  
(that would be the broken target or the buzzer),
or after the Referee has given the command
“START”;

I don't agree totally the bit in red real world as it applies to the original post. The result will be recorded after the shooter has completed his shots... he has full use of his gun even if the target is broken with the first shot, remember not every target is as clearly a hit as another. The buzzer, hooter or what ever miss warning is use will be sounded when a shooter has either fired and missed with both his shots OR the target has struck the ground before he has made his shots... as long as the target is in the air the shooter has the right to shoot at it no matter if the referee thinks he will hit the target or not that could be a considerable time after the first shot has been sounded real/relative time and if a shooter is uncertain as to whether he actually hit the target or not he has the right to shoot it again. I have in the past shot at a target and thought I hit it ..only to hear the hooter... I no longer assume anything and make a second shot. That is the reason I originally asked the question. If the previous shooter has shot both barrels it is certain he has finished... if the shooter has fired one barrel and no miss is indicated by the referee then the shooter has another shot to be made.

Clearly, as has been stated by 40UP, some limited observation of the previous target is in order and if the previous shooter does not make a second shot and the target is in the air then the clock has not started for the next shooter. In the case of a shooter on post 5 shooting an OT target some considerable effort really has to be made by the shooter on post one to observe a hard right target... my guess is not many shooters would do this and rely on intuition if only one shot was heard and no buzzer sounded indicating the target was on the ground. I think we can say the question has been answered but the difference in the time taken to register the out come of a shooters shots could be, in some circumstances, quite considerable in  real terms and as in my original case lead to some confusion on the part of the next shooter.

Mutley your right it is definitely in the rules extra time should be given with a lesser amount of squad members but theres no mention of what the extra time should be.And then there's the quandary of wether a debate about it at the start of the round would be beneficial although a ref once ruined a round for me saying i was over limit again 5 man but that was at the end so he had a full ear bashing but all that did was wind me up for the rest of the day. 

and the result is registered  
I don't believe that means "recorded" but rather it has been recognized that the target is killed or lost.  A killed target does not require any announcement the shooting merely continues.  I admit that I'm not at all understanding why this is an issue as the 12 seconds is a long time interval unless the next shooter is maybe dozing.

As to the less than 6 man thing it would seem intuitive to me that no time interval should be imposed in the rules as there are so many inherent variables.  The ref should know that the extra time is allowed and insure that the shooter on 1 is granted adequate time to occupy the station.  If that is not done then a protest would def be in order.

All JMO of course and YMMV

If your pre shot routine takes say 5 to 6 seconds like mine and the mic coming live takes up to 8 like a lot ive seen then you call before its live,so to remedy this like fred says you waite for the clay to land,now if the clock starts from first shot hit by the time it land and you start your 6second ritual then your close to the 12max.As i said before all grounds and even layouts have different timing between shot and mic being live and theres no rule for it.

has fired at a regular target and the result is
registered
it doesn't say first shot it says "registered" so if it is missed the horn or buzzer starts the clock.  Or starts a protest or whatever.

If there is a dilemma with this then it is one that can only be dealt with in real time and not the abstract.  Too many situational variables.

JMO of course

it doesn't say first shot it says "registered" so if it is missed the horn or buzzer starts the clock.  Or starts a protest or whatever.

If there is a dilemma with this then it is one that can only be dealt with in real time and not the abstract.  Too many situational variables.

JMO of course
Agreed and of course as the poster of the original question I think the question has now been answered. The dilemma for me is, as a shooter who does not spend a great deal of time watch other people take their shots or is even interested in the out come, still there. The only way of remedying the situation is to watch what others are doing or just use a bit of intuition and say that is the hooter does not sound inside a couple of seconds after the first shot has sounded the target has been hit and you are good to go. The hooter is a doddle but the single report could mean the target is still live even after what would seem a long time after that. 

Latest posts

Back