visual time

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doctor Lecter

i am a old git with average everything including eye sight ,  i wear prescription glasses , my question is       shooting simultaneous pairs on Sunday  at east of England  i could not visually finish the first clay off , i am not the quickest and i tend to hang on to make sure,  fine on report but on Sunday had to kill the battue before it went behind a tree  so i could address the second clay falling quite quickly     ?   it was a lash and hope on the battue  it worked 7/8  any ideas ?   ps  the shoot was great,  a tad hard for me but that's my skillset  thumbs up to jon lee   👍   

You nailed it. Lash and hope!

It sounds like a sim pair deliberately designed to force you to take the first bird early, out your comfort zone.

Sadly pairs like that penalise ageing eyesight and reactions. 50/50 which do I take first pairs are fairer.

PM.

If you are really short on time, choose your kill point, move your hold point just below the kill point, eyes back towards target and just move the gun up and pull the trigger instinctively, may be worth a try

well i suppose my question is  how can i shoot quicker when forced by the target setter ,  i was out of my comfort zone for sure !! 
About as Charliedog says but in detail; what I do on very quick narrow window stuff is take great care to note the target flightline position. Then put my hold point on or just under that line, a bit before the kill point. As you set up, keep your eye at same place as the muzzle, but focussed at distance. As you call pull be very focussed and ready for the target coming in to your peripheral vision and as soon as it gets to the muzzle, pull away to the lead you have decided will be right and shoot. Critically, don’t let the clay get past the gun. If anything, set off moving just before the clay reaches you. 

I find this method particularly good on a fast “overhead” away when coming from behind and over my shoulder. Obviously my hold point is to the side of me, not out front in this example 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all of the above. It's the gun movement that takes the time up so the knack is limit it as much as possible - You can't block off the clay so stay underneath and move your eyes (not barrel) back to your visual point.

The only thing I would add is that if time is short it's a brain thing - pick you visual, hold & kill points - which will also dictate technique - and then trust your brain to work it out. Sometimes the problem is being created by a desire to overthink it (or in your case you tend to hang on to make sure).

i am a old git with average everything including eye sight ,  i wear prescription glasses , my question is       shooting simultaneous pairs on Sunday  at east of England  i could not visually finish the first clay off , i am not the quickest and i tend to hang on to make sure,  fine on report but on Sunday had to kill the battue before it went behind a tree  so i could address the second clay falling quite quickly     ?   it was a lash and hope on the battue  it worked 7/8  any ideas ?   ps  the shoot was great,  a tad hard for me but that's my skillset  thumbs up to jon lee   👍   
Whatever you did Sunday, keep doing it 7x8 was a good score on that stand. No one in my squad straighted it. One of the best rounds I've shot for a while. 

Yes in our part of the world we were very lucky over the weekend two brilliant shoots, Chalk Farm on Saturday and East of England on Sunday, both very testing but each very different. I shot low scores at both but would sooner be beaten by this level than shoot a high score at much steadier targets!

Latest posts

Back