Thec British Open at Hodnet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the positive comments, yes we do try and personally I love setting targets that tease and please , good to see so many friends from all over the Country and hopefully enjoying themselves .Really looking forward to Sunday , totally new mini course that will tease please and intrigue, then an entertainment final , so the winner and all the prize winners will have earned their spurs.
Are you part of the target setting team at Hodnet ??.....

It appears I have qualified to return on Sunday.  My first major comp to get anywhere in the five years I've been shooting.  It was a  very good shoot and is a stunning ground.  I was waining towards the end and lost 3 targets each on the last two stands which was very frustrating as I shot the middle section I thought really well for me.  It was the highlight of my day to get 3 of the driven and come away with 7/8 on that stand.  Anyone who knows me will understand how I feel about driven.  
Da Iawn Sian  :thumbsup:

Well it's all over and Although I started well I really didn't shoot to my own level and I seem to have been knocked a target on the last stand and it really wasn't that difficult to count them I only shot 2 of them!  It was an experience.  I did question my sanity driving 3 hrs to shoot 75 targets badly and then having to drive 4 hrs back but it had to be done.  Bonus seeing my brother and his family turn up to support me though.  I'm going to forget today and remember Friday instead.

Plenty of folk spectating,i went down to watch it aswell,im a great fan of this format.

Forgot to add well done to all the winners,especially myers and palmer in the final.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it's all over and Although I started well I really didn't shoot to my own level and I seem to have been knocked a target on the last stand and it really wasn't that difficult to count them I only shot 2 of them!  It was an experience.  I did question my sanity driving 3 hrs to shoot 75 targets badly and then having to drive 4 hrs back but it had to be done.  Bonus seeing my brother and his family turn up to support me though.  I'm going to forget today and remember Friday instead.
You're not the only one. The leaderboard from the main event bears little resemblance to the final 6. I do think some recognition for the main event should be due. 

The main event is the final day the other days are qualies and getting through is a achievement to be proud of but still only the first part of the game. it could be blowing a gale one day and fine the next so how could that be fair? The best each day get to go on the same day with the finals format.

The main event is the final day the other days are qualies and getting through is a achievement to be proud of but still only the first part of the game. it could be blowing a gale one day and fine the next so how could that be fair? The best each day get to go on the same day with the finals format.
well in my eyes  two men should have been in the shoot off   because they tied on 115  ,   but shooters who enter know the rules ,   must be expensive  returning to shoot  ?    not that it will ever involve me !    depending on your location would you drive x amount of miles to watch the shoot off ?   :bye:

I understand the principle and this could often be the case. This one was same weather every day. Was it two years ago, Richard Bunning won the main shoot on 117 and was nowhere in the final. I understand it, but it seems rough.

No i wouldnt drive a long way although it was about a hour to this one to watch ,lets be honest the amount of money the top boys are spending weakly is way more than a return journey to a major title.

He won a qualification day not the main event,if you do a 100 straight on the first 2 days of a four day fitasc sporting comp it dont make you the winner,you still got to finish well the next 2 days.

It is a very contentious thing , spoke to lots over the last few days who think the new format is unfair and first past the post should be winners. But we go with the flow and work to the rules . If you think about the new format Martin Myers had to be in contention in three seperate 'finals'. Lots of spectators, George does a tremendous job coping with the entourage who follow him around .

Sadly very few spectators stay for the presentations , but even worse many prize winners cannot be bothered to stay for their awards.

Sian, don't beat yourself up, you done extremely well to get to Sunday's final, many of us ladies that all know and love you were rooting for you, it wasn't your day but be positive, you got there when many didn't and you'll be a better shooter for that experience.  

Enjoyed the Shoot 

Managed 101 which I was pleased with overall. 

I was knocked out of the final day by a shooter who shot birds only which was a bummer. 

Moral of the story. Don't miss the easy ones Jeremy 

Sian, don't beat yourself up, you done extremely well to get to Sunday's final, many of us ladies that all know and love you were rooting for you, it wasn't your day but be positive, you got there when many didn't and you'll be a better shooter for that experience.  
Didn't even shoot to my ability let alone pull anything out of the bag for the fact it was a final.   I did enjoy it and I am proud I got to the final.  Thanks for thinking of me xxx

...and it could be blowing a gale, and pissing down from 9-12 in the morning and fine for the rest of the day. How is that fair??? I don't really have a problem with qualifying days, but on finals day you should shoot what you have qualified for. At least one person in each 'class' took home a medal that they never qualified to shoot for, they qualified for 'category'. To my mind that makes a mockery of qualification, but rules is rules.

Latest posts

Back