Thec British Open at Hodnet

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to be clear, I'm not anti the prize money concept. I just think at the BO this year, its rough that you have to be in the top 4% of your class to win anything and unless you're in the top 2% it won't even be enough to cover your cost of competing.

The fact that it has cost me tens of thousands over the years to get into my class is irrelevant. I did that for my own enjoyment. I just think there's enough money being made at this particular event to spread it a bit more. I'm not all bitter and twisted about it at all. It's more a raised eyebrow. Anyway, I'm leaving for Hodnet now and hope to enjoy it. Thankfully the weather is kind!

Exceptional event very well run and nothing silly but some good strong birds in places. I thought 114 about all was there on sporting but not sure what's happening on sportrap scores, I think 96-7 to win. Well done Hodnet .

Surely a major competition shouldn't offer a birds only option?
Doug,

Why? What is the difference between this "major competition" and all the others that call themselves major competitions

Birds Only should be available to all - some people are shooting on a very tight budget and anything that reduces the cost really does help them

I wonder how many people will get on the podium this year for their 'class', that didn't qualify to shoot in class, but qualified in 'category'. Farcical in my view.

STR now being led by RF on 94. I shot it today, great targets and I thought it shot harder than it looked. I suppose there is one very easy target on the whole course though, so it's a sustained test.

Horrible start with a 17, then a 22 including a bouncing rabbit costing me one. 3rd layout I ruined with 1 target, an orange close crosser which I missed 4 times, before cutting back to a ridiculously small lead and hit it hard on the fifth attempt. So a 20 on there felt like it should have been a 23 at least. Grr.. Last layout just beat me for another 20, finishing on 79. 

Hopefully I've learned something for tomorrow with the terrain..

Last edited by a moderator:
Shot the sporting yesterday & the sportrap wednesday, both brilliant courses even though I had a mare on the sportrap! The sporting starts off gently to ease you in then really tests you as you get up the top. Can't wait for the reshoot.

I thoroughly enjoyed the shoot on Wednesday, it really is a lovely ground and they use the topography very well.

I am a little frustrated at not booking on for the sportrap as well, however I thought 220 targets in a day along with the trip back and forth from Scotland might have been a bit of a push all on the same day.

As it happens i'm back down on Sunday and thoroughly looking forward to it.  It was a successful road trip for the 3 of us that travelled down and shot together as we are all back again on Sunday, pretty epic outcome I think.

p.s. was good to meet you Peter and finally put a name to a face.

Thank you all for the positive comments, yes we do try and personally I love setting targets that tease and please , good to see so many friends from all over the Country and hopefully enjoying themselves .Really looking forward to Sunday , totally new mini course that will tease please and intrigue, then an entertainment final , so the winner and all the prize winners will have earned their spurs.

It appears I have qualified to return on Sunday.  My first major comp to get anywhere in the five years I've been shooting.  It was a  very good shoot and is a stunning ground.  I was waining towards the end and lost 3 targets each on the last two stands which was very frustrating as I shot the middle section I thought really well for me.  It was the highlight of my day to get 3 of the driven and come away with 7/8 on that stand.  Anyone who knows me will understand how I feel about driven.  

It appears I have qualified to return on Sunday.  My first major comp to get anywhere in the five years I've been shooting.  It was a  very good shoot and is a stunning ground.  I was waining towards the end and lost 3 targets each on the last two stands which was very frustrating as I shot the middle section I thought really well for me.  It was the highlight of my day to get 3 of the driven and come away with 7/8 on that stand.  Anyone who knows me will understand how I feel about driven.  
This with a new gun too  :) .

First day of the competition today , the reports I have received from everyone is what a good day they have had , " Brilliant Shoot"  " Something for everyone", "Clever Targets".

Had a few comments about distant black clays on the Sportrap , but I will be referring them to Ed Lyons  or Specsavers. Or for a £1 a week they can sponsor a Guide Dog.
That chap sharpening his pencil on the CPSA twitter feed sets a standard ? 

Another vote of praise for me about this event. Sadly after a good start I had a terrible middle section, which then left me tatty on the easier stands at the end too. Disappointed with 95, but it was a strong test on many stands. It's certainly the best bit of land for shooting I've ever seen.

Back on my sofa now having had a great weekend away,nothing presented to make anyone suck in there breath but plenty to trip you up,.

Quite pleased with my 102/120 today, and what a fantastic ground and course of targets.

Nothing ridiculous, but you had to be completely switched on all the way round, I don't think I've ever felt as mentally drained after a shoot.

The white clay being thrown toward you followed by the teal was my favourite stand; white clay needed lots of gun movement and a bit of lead, then the teal was very slow and needed nothing.  Very clever.

image.jpeg

so. Who managed to say hello to Mr salopian ???

Back