stupid targets

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just go to one of the many pay and play grounds available and have a practice rather than inflicting all game style targets at competitions.  This time of year lots of grounds are specifically offering practice for game shooters (West Kent does it every year). 

The thought of 10 pairs of driven or walked up targets at a Registered shoot makes me shudder.

Just go to one of the many pay and play grounds available and have a practice rather than inflicting all game style targets at competitions.  This time of year lots of grounds are specifically offering practice for game shooters (West Kent does it every year). 

The thought of 10 pairs of driven or walked up targets at a Registered shoot makes me shudder.
that's exactly what I have been doing bebo ?

that's exactly what I have been doing bebo ?
They have a stand at West Kent called Walked Up.  The going away walked up bird if fine (if a little boring), but it is accompanied by a driven target that emerges from the bushes in front of you, flies at 90mph (or that's what it feels like) about 5ft above your head.  Now I call that a daft target!

They have a stand at West Kent called Walked Up.  The going away walked up bird if fine (if a little boring), but it is accompanied by a driven target that emerges from the bushes in front of you, flies at 90mph (or that's what it feels like) about 5ft above your head.  Now I call that a daft target!
If that is the one to the right of the skeet layout then I agree. I don't bother with that one as you have a nano second to hit it.

yes that would be on the stupid list as you would pillowcase a bird that close

If that is the one to the right of the skeet layout then I agree. I don't bother with that one as you have a nano second to hit it.
It is and I don't either.  I, like Sian, only shoot clays and I practice to try to improve the range of targets I can hit and the level of consistency I can hit them with.  I don't think I'd ever see that target at a Registered competition so I don't bother with it.  I do have a go on the other fairly low driven targets they have on the stand where the skeet layout is, as I have seen that sort of target in competitions.

It is and I don't either.  I, like Sian, only shoot clays and I practice to try to improve the range of targets I can hit and the level of consistency I can hit them with.  I don't think I'd ever see that target at a Registered competition so I don't bother with it.  I do have a go on the other fairly low driven targets they have on the stand where the skeet layout is, as I have seen that sort of target in competitions.
Not quite the same target - Southdown a while back came high out of a tree and dropped down the side of the tree like a lead weight.   Right handed shooters could not get a good sight or their gun at the necessary angle to shoot it consistently if at all.  Dean Gibbs was very successful with it because he changed shooting shoulder and shot it left handed, fantastic to watch.  I think it was wind affected rather than meant to be entirely like that.  Were you there Bebo?  

In Cape Town a few years ago, they had a very high tower with a rabbit trap on top of it!  The clay came out the trap, rolled along a plank and just fell!! That caused a few zeros on the cards of many a good shot. 

Not quite the same target - Southdown a while back came high out of a tree and dropped down the side of the tree like a lead weight.   Right handed shooters could not get a good sight or their gun at the necessary angle to shoot it consistently if at all.  Dean Gibbs was very successful with it because he changed shooting shoulder and shot it left handed, fantastic to watch.  I think it was wind affected rather than meant to be entirely like that.  Were you there Bebo?  
There was a similar target at the Cambridge Premier League shoot and the Jack Pyke at Sporting Targets.

So many people over-lead them.  There is a point where these targets stop before dropping, bit like a crow they need rifling with no gun movement.

donna

that's now top of the stupid list ?

Think I might have been.  Down towards the lower half of the course?  Came from the right hand side and was dropping like a stone before you could see it? Didn't hit one of them.

Think I might have been.  Down towards the lower half of the course?  Came from the right hand side and was dropping like a stone before you could see it? Didn't hit one of them.
That'll be the one, I managed a couple.

That'll be the one, I managed a couple.
I think that on the next stand that day (or maybe the one after) had a high driven off the cherry picker to the left side of you.  I liked that one.

Pretty sad that we can remember targets we shot last year!

There was a similar target at the Cambridge Premier League shoot and the Jack Pyke at Sporting Targets.

So many people over-lead them.  There is a point where these targets stop before dropping, bit like a crow they need rifling with no gun movement.
Were you at that one Dan, I think the problem was you didn't see it stop, it literally appeared and then dropped down the edge of the teee.  If there was a little breeze you got to see a bit more.

I think that on the next stand that day (or maybe the one after) had a high driven off the cherry picker to the left side of you.  I liked that one.

Pretty sad that we can remember targets we shot last year!
?

Were you at that one Dan, I think the problem was you didn't see it stop, it literally appeared and then dropped down the edge of the teee.  If there was a little breeze you got to see a bit more.

?
Yes I was there, thankfully I'm left handed which helped. 

Sporting is no longer designed to mimic game as such- it is a stand alone discipline in its own right.

This also allows people to see what a shotgun is capable of at ranges that they would not be confident taking live game at. You can consistently kill face/semi face on clays at an honest 70 yards with 8s, if they don't break they aren't stupid, just better than the shooters skill level.

You can spot someone that primarily shoots game a mile off on a clay ground. They are the ones shooting the driven targets 10 yards sooner than anyone else just incase someone tries to beat them to the bird and can't shoot naff all else, or the person using the phrase "You never see a game bird flying like that" after missing the majority of targets on a stand.

You can spot someone that primarily shoots game a mile off on a clay ground. They are the ones shooting the driven targets 10 yards sooner than anyone else just incase someone tries to beat them to the bird and can't shoot naff all else, or the person using the phrase "You never see a game bird flying like that" after missing the majority of targets on a stand.
Game shooting. A marvellous hiding place for the talentless. ?

Game shooting. A marvellous hiding place for the talentless. ?
Cruel but from some of my observations correct, in fact seeing the way some game shooters shoot I have wondered how they would survive if they had to live off what they shot.  Now I come to think of it some of them are a tad skinny !

ha, had to chuckle at the last few posts.

as everyone knows I am recent convert to esp and to game so I refrain from commenting on some posts ?

ed

I hear what you say and it makes perfect sense, I do "get that". I didn't dismiss the fact that there should be a "sporting" version in order to challenge. I just think that there should be an easier version for the less talented and those of us that want to enjoy just hitting "hittable targets". Yes you can pay and play and only shoot those you consider hittable and game related but from my limited experience there getting fewer and fewer.

Latest posts

Back