stupid targets

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that looks fun, and a very short time to shoot it
You have more time than you think on that. Its the first part of its travel that makes it look quick. If you hold to the right and wait for it to bounce back, your barrels are roughly in the right place to shoot it. Hardly any gun movement at all. JMHO of course  :)

yep, that's the sort of thing I am talking about, stupid...

Be surprised how many can be caught out by something like that.  It all has to be shot, bit of spot shooting.

Be surprised how many can be caught out by something like that.  It all has to be shot, bit of spot shooting.
But if you shot something that close in the field it would not be fit to eat. 

So little point in shooting it. 

exactly my point. ?

this is why Imo there should be a sporting for stupid targets and a sporting specifically aimed at replicating a shot you would take in the real world.

Maybe they were years ago but things move on and targets are sometimes more technical and may not suit swing through,some are for a bit of fun!

Come out of the Dark ages and move on ;)

exactly my point. ?

this is why Imo there should be a sporting for stupid targets and a sporting specifically aimed at replicating a shot you would take in the real world.
Not a very inspiring target to say the least. But we are target shooting. With the modern day traps and the targets that get thrown, I would like to see what birds can do the tricks, speeds and angles the clays  go at. The days of ESP replicating simulated live quarry are long gone.

The days of ESP replicating simulated live quarry are long gone.
it would seem so, I just shoot the stands that I think "yep a bird could do that" if I see a "nope, no bird could ever do that" type stand I just walk on. Trouble is there are more walk on stands than yep stands ?

ps

for fun.......what quarry presentation could there be that hasn't ever been done.....

for instance...

"a pigeon coming in to a decoy then as you pop your head up and get your auto barrell tangled in hide mesh said pigeon turns on a sixpence and goes back the way it came"

that would be an interesting one, don't know how you would replicate it unless clay was on a bungee cord ?

off you go ?

IPS I agree stupid 5 yard stuff that is visible for one second should not feature very often at all and at decent shoots does not. However some of the best sporting targets are nothing like real quarry. A 50 yard battue for instance is fantastic to shoot, but is unlike anything with feathers.

Perhaps your perfect shooting is a simulated game day?

Thing is I don't shoot game,  I have no interest in it for myself so I am not trying to shoot clays that emulate an animal or bird,  I am simply looking at a bit of clay. 

it would seem so, I just shoot the stands that I think "yep a bird could do that" if I see a "nope, no bird could ever do that" type stand I just walk on. Trouble is there are more walk on stands than yep stands ?

ps

for fun.......what quarry presentation could there be that hasn't ever been done.....

for instance...

"a pigeon coming in to a decoy then as you pop your head up and get your auto barrell tangled in hide mesh said pigeon turns on a sixpence and goes back the way it came"

that would be an interesting one, don't know how you would replicate it unless clay was on a bungee cord ?

off you go ?
It's called ZZ or Helice which came from simulating live pigeon shooting. Then there's OT which was derived from that.

So there you go.. you need to shoot OT which will prepare you better than any other discapline for the instinctive type of shooting required for game. Especially walked up and when in a wood and amazingly similar technique required for driven. 

Goimg back to the video. I've seen duck drop like that. You see them through a tree/ hedge line but can only take them once they clear and they are already  settling. (Although not as close as the clay shown)

IPS I agree stupid 5 yard stuff that is visible for one second should not feature very often at all and at decent shoots does not. However some of the best sporting targets are nothing like real quarry. A 50 yard battue for instance is fantastic to shoot, but is unlike anything with feathers.

Perhaps your perfect shooting is a simulated game day?
I like sim driven BUT that's only one target presentation. I want to shoot esp, gun down. I want driven stuff, walked up, crossers, high stuff low stuff. I don't want jumping rabbit falling ducks, or anything off the end of the barrell, also don't want clays the size of a blue tit ?

I like sim driven BUT that's only one target presentation. I want to shoot esp, gun down. I want driven stuff, walked up, crossers, high stuff low stuff. I don't want jumping rabbit falling ducks, or anything off the end of the barrell, also don't want clays the size of a blue tit ?
Perhaps there could be an opportunity there for a course dedicated to replicating real game in ESP or would that be too easy for the really talented shooters.  It would challenge me but I have not shot game. I treat the silly ones as just that.  

You'd be surprised how many good shots missed that dropping squirrel. It was followed by a looper on report going away to your left so you had to swivel right round to get onto it. A bit of fun. Thankfully I scored 10 on that stand. 

Perhaps there could be an opportunity there for a course dedicated to replicating real game in ESP or would that be too easy for the really talented shooters.  It would challenge me but I have not shot game. I treat the silly ones as just that.  

You'd be surprised how many good shots missed that dropping squirrel. It was followed by a looper on report going away to your left so you had to swivel right round to get onto it. A bit of fun. Thankfully I scored 10 on that stand. 
yep that's what we need. Especially this time of year, partridge and fowl started and pheasant very soon. Ground advertises a sporting event with all targets replicating game purely for game season practice. Personally think that would be a winner. Game shooters get to hone there skills and mere mortals get to enjoy actually hitting a good percentage without having to waste a cartridge on a stupid target that they know they have little chance of hitting and if they do its good luck not good shooting.

just my opinion.

Latest posts

Back