Straights - Simply First And / Or Second Barrel 25 Kills Allowed?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No question in my mind that second barrel is harder than first.

Ever had a second barrel misfire and had to miss with the first shot, ever hit the thing I haven't, ever seen it hit ?

Ha, so deliberately miss with first barell jeez your right how hard would that be. A very interesting challenge that's for sure.

There is ,I think, no doubt that hitting the target with only the second barrel shot would be very difficult and I have never shot the game! You are then truly shooting a single barrel contest. A deliberate miss they an attempt with the second barrel is going to be hard to hit one hundred straight ! you would have to change the entire approach a very quickly taken first shot  and then a true shot with the second to beak the target.

I would really like to know what the DTL shooters think about this prospect.. it may or may not be harder than hitting only first barrel, I have no real idea never having tried shooting DTL.

There is ,I think, no doubt that hitting the target with only the second barrel shot would be very difficult and I have never shot the game! You are then truly shooting a single barrel contest. A deliberate miss they an attempt with the second barrel is going to be hard to hit one hundred straight ! you would have to change the entire approach a very quickly taken first shot  and then a true shot with the second to beak the target.

I would really like to know what the DTL shooters think about this prospect.. it may or may not be harder than hitting only first barrel, I have no real idea never having tried shooting DTL.
If you want to see some killer first barrel shooters, check out the American ATA  27 yard men!!! There are quite a few videos online, but I've seen some of those guys back when I used to shoot at a US air base, they mainly use single barrel trap guns and some of their finals go on for hours! They are almost super human in my book!

I miss with the first barrel and get with the second so I am thinking not so hard really if I can do it.

PS:  I would like to say that I am getting better and get quite a few first barrel now so not a complete disaster zone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I would, I would say in conversation that the shooter shot a 100 straight but he didn't win because the event was won by a 100-300.

You DTL shooters really are pedantic :)
That's crazy. It's the broad equivalent of shooting a skeet competiton, hitting the target with your second barrel if you miss with the first then claiming you've shot 'straight'.

Oh, and by the way, the event in question wasn't won with a 100/300, it was a 100/298. I know that because I did it!

Miss with first (or shot into the ground) and hit with second ....is already part of some discipline rules in other countries.

It is far harder than it sounds....because you need to stay near to the line to have a useful 2nd barrel......but if you are toooo close and hit with your first......then it is scored a zero.

....just saying..!

Back on topic....

Not wanting to cause a stir or make enemies....but the straight badges from Cpsa have always been for 25. 50. 75. 100. not counting second barrels.

I personally think that a straight is a straight......but in DTL a 100/300 and the rest of the combos are 'phenomenal straights'......maybe we could have two types......'a straight' and 'a perfect straight '...???

Ha, so deliberately miss with first barell jeez your right how hard would that be. A very interesting challenge that's for sure.
Expensive on cartridges though!

Cheap 21g sh*t in the first barrel then 28g Redshot in the second !

DT

I miss with the first barrel and get with the second so I am thinking not so hard really if I can do it.
Yes Sian I do too BUT the last time I shot I had two rounds of 18 and 19 ABT, not that good at all, but of the hits only two were second barrel in each of the two rounds the others were all first barrel. Which by simple arithmetic gives 7 and 6 times I did not hit with the second tube. I know this is not a good example but what it show that it is in fact the case that it is difficult to connect with the second barrel if it was not I would have had a perfect 25 ! see what you have to do is compare the number of second barrels with the number of complete misses to get the ratio. What my ratio shows is that for every time I managed to hit with the second barrel I missed three times as many with it! Or do you always hit with the second barrel after a first barrel miss ?  If you do take up OT you could have a future there... well you will always make the final single barrel round :)

Yes Sian I do too BUT the last time I shot I had two rounds of 18 and 19 ABT, not that good at all, but of the hits only two were second barrel in each of the two rounds the others were all first barrel. Which by simple arithmetic gives 7 and 6 times I did not hit with the second tube. I know this is not a good example but what it show that it is in fact the case that it is difficult to connect with the second barrel if it was not I would have had a perfect 25 ! see what you have to do is compare the number of second barrels with the number of complete misses to get the ratio. What my ratio shows is that for every time I managed to hit with the second barrel I missed three times as many with it! Or do you always hit with the second barrel after a first barrel miss ?
Your lack of second barrel success will be more down to WHY you missed first barrel than anything...miss it off line, chances are you will miss off line again second barrel...miss it behind, then 'hail Mary' at it with more gun speed/clay slowing down but on the correct line, chances are you might just get in front and conect!!! Miss a straight bird over the top, by the time you get a second shot off it will be dropping, miss it low and early, chances are a quick second will break it...

That's crazy. It's the broad equivalent of shooting a skeet competiton, hitting the target with your second barrel and if you miss with the first then claiming you've shot 'straight'.

Oh, and by the way, the event in question wasn't won with a 100/300, it was a 100/298. I know that because I did it!
We will have to agree to disagree Jan, but consensus is that second barell doesn't matter but we all agree a 300 is of course excellent shooting as is a 298. A darned pity you didn't straighten them though :)

only kidding Jan:)

James is spot on in trap shooting the only way second barell will connect (generally) is if you were behind or under with the first. A good second barell is a must for high trap scores but at high level ot it will only get you in the shoot off then its a scary (i would imagine) single barell job.

And in some peoples opinion even that doesn't deserve a straight badge :)

but at high level ot it will only get you in the shoot off then its a scary (i would imagine) single barell job.
Well that's one more thing I won't have to worry about then Ian !!!!!!  :laugh:

No question in my mind that second barrel is harder than first.

Ever had a second barrel misfire and had to miss with the first shot, ever hit the thing I haven't, ever seen it hit ?
Saw one on Saturday. The referee was unable to score the second shot as it went into the fog at Southern County. He asked the shooter to do it again second barrel only to count. He did it.

Good on him but its hard isn't it.

Steve told me same scenario on his line ref gave benefit of doubt but the shooter said mark it a miss i cant be arsed or words to that effect.

If you want to see some killer first barrel shooters, check out the American ATA  27 yard men!!! There are quite a few videos online, but I've seen some of those guys back when I used to shoot at a US air base, they mainly use single barrel trap guns and some of their finals go on for hours! They are almost super human in my book!
Not to malign those shooters in any way but you have to remember that ATA targets are rather less rigorous than DTL.  The singles events, 16yd, shootoffs can go on for hours.  The handicap tho seldom takes more than a couple rounds.

I wish we had real DTL here.  Definitely a better game IMHO.  ATA is nothing less than a miss and out game,  Not that exciting for those who have those misses lurking in the shell pouch.

Latest posts

Back