Straights - Simply First And / Or Second Barrel 25 Kills Allowed?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Points have to count. If DTL were simply down to kills we'd all be shooting 'straight'. 'Straight' means a perfect score, that is no second barrels. Anything less than that and the badge means just about nothing.
nonsence, you can do a 100 straight or a 300 straight. Agreed the 300 is better, obviously, but not everyone is capable of one ahd its not really fare imo not to commend someones achievement of a 100 by saying its not a straight cos it jolly well is. And I can prove it, cpsa used to give badges for 25 50 75 100 and they didn't need to be 75 150 etc. I rest my case mi lud.

Ps - I have a 100 dtl silver badge for a 100 - 295 its a straight badge that I got in about 1990 I still wear it and am proud of it and I dont give a stuff what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any shooter who argues the fact that someone who did a 25.73 hasnt done a straght is a miserable git imo and should show more encouragment and congratulate the shooter on a very good achievement, .
I refer you to the above from post 4

nonsence, you can do a 100 straight or a 300 straight. Agreed the 300 is better, obviously, but not everyone is capable of one ahd its not really fare imo not to commend someones achievement of a 100 by saying its not a straight cos it jolly well is. And I can prove it, cpsa used to give badges for 25 50 75 100 and they didn't need to be 75 150 etc. I rest my case mi lud.

Ps - I have a 100 dtl silver badge for a 100 - 295 its a straight badge that I got in about 1990 I still wear it and am proud of it and I dont give a stuff what you think.
This isn't about demeaning individual achievement. Anyone that's shot 100 has shot well and 100/295 is a good score.

Last year a chap shot 100/280 at a major event. Are we saying he shot 'straight' even though he dropped 20 points?

The original post asked whether shooting less than 75/150/225/300 can considered a 'straight'. We might like to think it is becuase it's good for our ego's but the simple truth is, it's not.

Best you take that 100 straight badge off then IPS. Apparently you shouldn't be wearing it!

DT

We might like to think it is becuase it's good for our ego's but the simple truth is, it's not.
Yes it is, at least in the context that the OP asked, the cpsa did / do award straight badges and they don't need to be 25 - 75 or 100 - 300

I understand your point BUT a 100 straight is a 100 straight and a 100-300 straight is a 100-300 straight end of.

Last year a chap shot 100/280 at a major event. Are we saying he shot 'straight' even though he dropped 20 points
Yes I would, I would say in conversation that the shooter shot a 100 straight but he didn't win because the event was won by a 100-300.

You DTL shooters really are pedantic :)

Yes I would, I would say in conversation that the shooter shot a 100 straight but he didn't win because the event was won by a 100-300.

You DTL shooters really are pedantic :)
Let's face it a straight means hitting every target that flew, whether it was 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 10000, whatever !!!!! Each target was hit, yes of course a 100/300 is brilliant, but the 300 bit only tells that the person hit em all first tube. As you say Ian, if all targets are hit then it is a straight!!! Simple.......... :biggrin:

PS...I still have my set of straight badges from the Ray Ward Trap Club at Bisley, they used the same theory as the CPSA as to what a straight is, it meant hitting all the targets, no matter how many second tubes you had!!! 

the 300 bit only tells that the person hit em all first tube.
Absolutely les.

Maybe they should do a "100/300 straight but had a few chippy kills so doesn't really count" Badge :)

This could have legs you know as there are endless possibilities but if we go with it there will be much angry posts from folk saying were off topic, and get serious you pair of old fools etc etc :)

So we wont, but we want to.

This could have legs you know as there are endless possibilities but if we go with it there will be much angry posts from folk saying were off topic, and get serious you pair of old fools etc etc :)

So we wont, but we want to.
OK I suppose we had better go play elsewhere before we get into trouble.........AGAIN!!!!! :haha:

OK mate, see you at the back of the bike sheds for a smoke :)

In UT, ABT and OT trap shooting you are allowed both barrels without detriment to your score. It would appear DTL is different in that you can score differently depending which barrel you hit with... that does not mean you did not hit 25 targets straight but you will not win much if you do not hit first barrel every time!

Is DTL so much easier to hit with the first tube that there is a great need to differentiate between 25/75 and 25/71 for example ? It would be hard to accept that 99 on the first tube and one on the second is not 100 straight targets broken would it not? Perhaps its time for DTL to change to single barrel discipline with 24g cartridges looking at the scores needed to win it might be a good idea. 

It wont happen john DTL is what it is and there would be a mutiny on a vast scale if anyone tried to mess with DTL rules. The only change I remember was down to 28g from 32g mid 90s

There are many more 300s now than in the mid 80s when I started but I have no idea why that is.

So maybe Jan has a point in as much as even a 100 - 295 was a big deal 20years ago now you wont get in a shoot off with less than a 300 so on that basis maybe just maybe Jan has a very tiny little point, but I stress its a tiny point and I aint taking off me badge so there.

It wont happen john DTL is what it is and there would be a mutiny on a vast scale if anyone tried to mess with DTL rules. The only change I remember was down to 28g from 32g mid 90s

There are many more 300s now than in the mid 80s when I started but I have no idea why that is.

So maybe Jan has a point in as much as even a 100 - 295 was a big deal 20years ago now you wont get in a shoot off with less than a 300 so on that basis maybe just maybe Jan has a very tiny little point, but I stress its a tiny point and I aint taking off me badge so there.
I have not worn my badges for....eerrr....must be twenty years at least! They are in a frame on the office wall, a reminder that I could actually shoot properly many years ago! :laugh:

... that does not mean you did not hit 25 targets straight but you will not win much...

Is DTL so much easier to hit with the first tube that there is a great need to differentiate between 25/75 and 25/71 for example ? It would be hard to accept that 99 on the first tube and one on the second is not 100 straight targets broken would it not?

Perhaps its time for DTL to change to single barrel discipline with 24g cartridges looking at the scores needed to win it might be a good idea.
If you do not shoot 25/75 more often than not, you will not win much at DTL!!!

Yes, there is a big need to differentiate between 25/75 and 25/71...probably put a AA or A class guy out of contention of winning at any big shoot!!!

No, there is already a single barrel version of DTL, 2pnts for 2nd barrel is part of the game. 24g would do nothing or next to nothing to DTL scores...

I have not worn my badges for....eerrr....must be twenty years at least! They are in a frame on the office wall,
As are mine and my county badges and NOE team badges etc

All points taken James! I have never tried DTL so my very vague idea of it is it a last man standing type of sport as opposed to say OT where it only becomes that in the final single barrel round and if needed shoot off ? I again not having simply assume it is much easier to hit with the first barrel.... but the penalty for missing is extreme whereas in OT the qualifier is just that the is no penalty for a second barrel even though it is much more difficult to hit the target full stop.

Just a point of discussion who here thinks that logically it should be more difficult to hit the target in the second barrel? If you missed with the first then you have to get your gun back under control and hit a target that has changed slightly in distance, speed and direction  logic says it would be more difficult to hit it now??

Just a point of discussion who here thinks that logically it should be more difficult to hit the target in the second barrel? If you missed with the first then you have to get your gun back under control and hit a target that has changed slightly in distance, speed and direction  logic says it would be more difficult to hit it now??
I never really thought about it like that John, interesting point mate!

Latest posts

Back