Straights - Simply First And / Or Second Barrel 25 Kills Allowed?

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I think an early miss is the hardest to come through, nerves of steal required to save a score. My earlier story re the 99.297 is prime example. You will be on a roll now, once you get the first one they come easier.

Ya I agree, Missing the first clay sucks the most. Takes the excitement out of it to a certain extent as you cant get a perfect score anymore, and you then have to shoot straight for damage limitation.

Missing the last clay to shoot 24/72 would be heart-breaking too though. Hasnt happened to me yet, but I guess it will at some stage!

All this talk of straights, will it tempt any of you fast trap guys to shoot some dtl this year? Hmm Ian? Theres a big 2-day shoot at Degla this weekend, 22 squads were booked by last weekend. Maybe 30 on the day.

I have done my time at dtl rob and still come out in a sweat thinking about it :)

Hate to buck the trend....but....I love it for a concentration task....great training.

All this talk of straights, will it tempt any of you fast trap guys to shoot some dtl this year?
At the end of this year I may little choice, unless I want to travel a long way to shoot OT. Garry2749 keeps trying to get me over to Axminster to shoot it and he is trying to get me to shoot the county DTL championships too, he keeps telling me it will be a laugh!!!! DTL scares the daylights out of me to be honest, I shot DTL for about 13/14 years back in the distant past and it nearly drove me crazy. You really do need nerves of steel to shoot DTL and I take my hat off to those guys who shoot it all the time ! :goodjob:

I'll take 25 chips, hacks and halfed clays over 24 balls of smoke anyday.... :haha:
Whenever I chip a target, I am usually not far from a miss or 2nd barrel. So 25 chips are great, but (for me at least) not a realistic possibility!

Balls of smoke look so manly! (No homo)

I really don't have a dog in this fight since I don't shoot clay target competition anymore.

but

DTL type targets definitely provide an excellent opportunity to fine tune technique - gun mount, setup sequence, etc.  It also will put you in a competition mindset mode.  If you use a center of the house hold for every station it will also force you to move the gun more aggressively.  All good stuff AFAIC.

just a thot

Charlie

+1

But isnt it chuffing tedious :)
Well, yeah.  Actually, hell yeah!

BUT

If you approach it as a training exercise (all of which are tedious, right?) then it becomes a matter of consciously correctly assembling all the pieces with the end result of breaking the target.  Even to the extent of using the 2nd barrel to shoot the biggest chip.  Of course that may be so commonplace with you guys that it doesn't count much.

I agree its good training if you have lost form.

I like DTL, it's addictive although rarely do it - only high days and holidays being a hedge monkey but I think it would help me with my concentration issues and I actually like the thought of the almost zen like state you have to get into to perform well.

In the English open single barrel in 2005 I shot 100 straight (but still lost in the shoot off ) I took first in AA and runner up but was denied membership to the 100 straight club as it was not a standard DTL SHOOT it was single barrel

There fore they can stick it where the sun don't shine

Deershooter

Wow 100 straight single barrel is very impressive even more so than dtl i would put that achievement well higher than dtl straight no second barrel to hide behind you must have nerves of steal my friend. Should have got a gold badge never mind a silver one.

Wow 100 straight single barrel is very impressive even more so than dtl i would put that achievement well higher than dtl straight no second barrel to hide behind you must have nerves of steal my friend. Should have got a gold badge never mind a silver one.
+1

Every sport has its disagreements in club houses or grounds throughout the land. This morning's dispute is what constitutes a "straight" be it 25, 75, or 100+ ; should second barrel kills count or not? Obviously a perfect score at DTL is 25/75 etc but can the shooter scoring 25/72 or whatever legitimately claim a "straight"? According to the CPSA they don't concern themselves with such vanity but most grounds do give out achievement badges so what does one have to do to get one? Personally I think that if a clay goes up in one piece and is broken by the first or second barrel then it's fair enough - a pheasant doesn't hang on to this mortal coil if it's hit by a second shot; it's still dead. Any views (or steer towards a bona fides rule made up by a chap in a suit somewhere)?
Points have to count. If DTL were simply down to kills we'd all be shooting 'straight'.

'Straight' means a perfect score, that is no second barrels. Anything less than that and the badge means just about nothing.

Latest posts

Back