Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw shucks.. Just decided to have a break from this site (but would be rude not to answer you). Various reasons.

I did also have a really good run of shoots recently and it would have seemed a bit much to come on and crow about it. Don’t worry, it’s all over, the last three have been very shabby.

As I’m writing, may as well mention I did Honesberie today. Very damp under foot, didn’t take boots, so spent most of it avoiding mud. An excellent shoot, but definitely a toughie. Nick Hollick says he didn’t want it straighted again, so I blame Richard Faulds! Anyway only 83 today and I was reminded that once its tough it makes me miss for other reasons. Too many times I missed a pair on a stand that I was doing well on. Sheer over trying. 

Anyway, see many of you about the shoots. I too plan Owls and AGL this week.
 Honesberie. So beat up the b and  c to preserve yours and your grounds ego. Not a good business plan I would suggest. And the refs STILL need work. Been saying that for years now. So maybe don't spend so much time worrying who's shoots what at the ground ( straights ) and concentrate on training a bit more. And refs in dark sunglasses. On an overcast dull day on orange rabbits in green grass at range . Not a good plan for seeing the chips we all rely on.  DOH. 

Jasper. 

Plus let us not forget that Mr faulds is an exceptional talent and is on superb form at present. Anyone with an average of 95 is gonna straight some layouts . It's just in the numbers. 

Jasper.

Plus let us not forget that Mr faulds is an exceptional talent and is on superb form at present. Anyone with an average of 95 is gonna straight some layouts . It's just in the numbers. 

Jasper.
I particularly appreciated the white one against the clouds NOT.

Fitasc yesterday as Southdown shot as bad as I could have I think.  Garlands very enjoyable but I was sloppy and then Honesberie again sloppy.  I think I’ve finally reached saturation point but like a crack addict I can’t seem to stop myself.  Going to try really hard not to shoot Owls or AGL.

I particularly appreciated the white one against the clouds NOT.

Fitasc yesterday as Southdown shot as bad as I could have I think.  Garlands very enjoyable but I was sloppy and then Honesberie again sloppy.  I think I’ve finally reached saturation point but like a crack addict I can’t seem to stop myself.  Going to try really hard not to shoot Owls or AGL.
Yep the white was not clever. I straighted it but couldn't tell you how or if it could be repeated. 😁

Jasper.

Meadow Croft for me and a couple of friends. Managed to find a bit of form for the first time in a long while, came away with an 82 and was pleased to have it. We struggled with refs on a few stands, some not knowing the established rules on no birds and had a couple of targets taken from us we hit (didn’t argue or even mention it to the ref). Overall happy but some work required  to show them What’s what.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw shucks.. Just decided to have a break from this site (but would be rude not to answer you). Various reasons.

I did also have a really good run of shoots recently and it would have seemed a bit much to come on and crow about it. Don’t worry, it’s all over, the last three have been very shabby.

As I’m writing, may as well mention I did Honesberie today. Very damp under foot, didn’t take boots, so spent most of it avoiding mud. An excellent shoot, but definitely a toughie. Nick Hollick says he didn’t want it straighted again, so I blame Richard Faulds! Anyway only 83 today and I was reminded that once its tough it makes me miss for other reasons. Too many times I missed a pair on a stand that I was doing well on. Sheer over-trying. 

Anyway, see many of you about the shoots. I too plan Owls and AGL this week.
That's the thing I love about shooting just as you think " I've got this sorted"  mediocrity comes back and bites you in the ass.

. We struggled with refs on a few stands, some not knowing the established rules on no birds and had a couple of targets taken from us we hit (didn’t argue or even mention it to the ref). Overall happy but some work required  to show them What’s what.
The biggest problem I find with the younger refs is that they often don't appreciate that a clay can still be a no bird even if it comes out intact. I had to explain to a ref yesterday that when the battue flew 15 feet lower than usual and below the hedge line before hitting the ground 50 feet earlier than usual, it's totally different from what it should be and therefore a no bird should be called.

Honesberie. So beat up the b and  c to preserve yours and your grounds ego. Not a good business plan I would suggest. And the refs STILL need work. Been saying that for years now. So maybe don't spend so much time worrying who's shoots what at the ground ( straights ) and concentrate on training a bit more. And refs in dark sunglasses. On an overcast dull day on orange rabbits in green grass at range . Not a good plan for seeing the chips we all rely on.  DOH. 

Jasper. 
First off.....i didnt shoot this shoot BUT ive studied the scores throughout the classes & TBH.....Nick got it spot on !!!

Every class was won within the current averages which is the whole reason for having them !!!...........

Too many shooters from B&C class want to shoot A/AA class scores without doing the apprenticeship !!!

All it does is lead them lower class shooters to the slaughter on better & bigger events, there is a saying...if you want to become a better shot then shoot harder testing targets!!

C class winning on 90 is doing nothing for the shooter...........NOT that i know how to set a shoot !!.....  

First off.....i didnt shoot this shoot BUT ive studied the scores throughout the classes & TBH.....Nick got it spot on !!!

Every class was won within the current averages which is the whole reason for having them !!!...........

Too many shooters from B&C class want to shoot A/AA class scores without doing the apprenticeship !!!

All it does is lead them lower class shooters to the slaughter on better & bigger events, there is a saying...if you want to become a better shot then shoot harder testing targets!!

C class winning on 90 is doing nothing for the shooter...........NOT that i know how to set a shoot !!.....  
My score didn’t reflect the severity of the shoot but rather my lack of attention and the will to want to do well which I’m suffering from at the moment.  I just don’t care basically and Shooting has lost its appeal.  That’s my own demon but it is what it is.  You would not have been impressed with the White chondel or battue (I get confused) in the field, I bet that played Merry hell with old eyes.  If it had been say pink it would have been a very good bird.   I don’t know who went comp or birds only but first past the post in C class got 81 - great and he obviously enjoyed the targets because if you look at his other scores that’s his best by a long shot for a good while.  My point is it wasn’t set to keep us all real because he’s an example of someone who got it very right on the day and there’s lots of examples of people who didn’t for a lot of different reasons.   All the top scores in class if you go by CPSA averages were above average so a simple conclusion would be it was easier but It’s not always the reason.   I thought the shoot was good in terms of targets albeit a few colour/backgrounds always piss me off but that’s not just Honesberie.   I like Honesberie and Nick that’s why I go.   This really wasn’t the hardest of shoots I’ve  shot there.   

You miss my point. Setters should not set shoots to take into account the excellence of the top 1% like Mr Faulds with a disregard for whoever else may turn up. Which is the impression I got when Nick says he didn't want the shoot straighted again . This shoot had nothing to do with averages or anything else in shooting. Just a desire not to have the layout straighted again by the best shooter in the country. 🤔.

If you go back on this thread a few weeks. You will see normal shooters saying that the balance was spot on.

And you are correct . You weren't there. 

Jasper 

Rule number 1 - target setters are inherently perfect and never ever wrong.

Rule number 2 - C class shooters want to shoot AA scores and kid themselves.

Reality check 1 - yes they do.

Reality check 2 - C class shooters CAN'T get into AA by shooting one or two AA scores, the whole point about the classification system is that it is an AVERAGE. Quite what it is about this that people repeatedly get wrong is well and truly beyond me, and besides, what do you care who shoots what and who is or isn't kidding themselves. People shoot clays for a thousand different reasons, the only score(s) that matters is your AVERAGE. 

Seems to be a bit of a failure of understanding of statistics here (as well as being factually incorrect).  There is a big difference between average and maximum.  If you look at the results for that shoot:

Class                  Winner                 Average

AAA                        93                          89.6

AA                           92                         84.1

A                             91                          77.7

B                              85                          69.6

C                              81                          59.4

You'll see for A, AA and AAA that the winning scores were all very similar and above the range for that band (apart from AAA obviously as it has no upper limit), which is what you would expect - to get an average you have some high scores and some low scores.  The averages fall within the cut-off ranges - but are at the bottom end of those, which would indicate it was slightly on the hard side (otherwise it'd be nearer the middle of the ranges).

For B class the picture is slightly different.  Whilst the winning scores are above the cut-off ranges, the average score would see you in the top of C.  Again, indicative that the shoot was slightly on the hard side.

And of course the whole point of paying in for competition is that you have to shoot well above your own average to win anything, otherwise we might as well use the fiver to buy those numbered tickets with a quick draw at the end of the shoot ! 

The above is the reason why almost all winning scores are above the cut-offs. It is certainly why C's and B's are won with scores well above their supposed cut-offs, shooters improve all the time not to mention have a mega day. 

The above is the reason why almost all winning scores are above the cut-offs. It is certainly why C's and B's are won with scores well above their supposed cut-offs, shooters improve all the time not to mention have a mega day. 
And it's the end of the period so the upwardly mobile are already shooting next level scores.

Yep the b class winner has obviously found something . His scores of late are pretty good. On his way to smack in the middle of A. 👍

There were definitely a couple of targets that would have been lost to sight issues without a doubt.  They were not all difficult, some you just would have lost sight of.  When you think 4 pairs and you may not see one that’s four lost and that builds up and then you drop the inevitable stupid one having got the rest and then a couple of tricky ones and ta dah bad score.   In terms of difficulty I thought the one at the beginning of October was superior, there were definitely more you had to work for.   By my score you wouldn’t have thought so but I actually tried to do well that day.  😬

I actually enjoyed this shoot and the previous one. This ground has improved but still let's itself down with some very  silly , ill  thought out stands and at times poor refs. Not all refs or all the time . They throw some absolutely great targets too. I've shot a lot there this year and have been thrilled and frustrated in equal measure.  And it has to be said that they're not the only grounds to have these observations about them.  I'll be back for the last one for this year in November. And to enjoy watching the rizzini final too. 

Jasper.

You miss my point. Setters should not set shoots to take into account the excellence of the top 1% like Mr Faulds with a disregard for whoever else may turn up. Which is the impression I got when Nick says he didn't want the shoot straighted again . This shoot had nothing to do with averages or anything else in shooting. Just a desire not to have the layout straighted again by the best shooter in the country. 🤔.

If you go back on this thread a few weeks. You will see normal shooters saying that the balance was spot on.

And you are correct . You weren't there. 

Jasper 
Yep....i wasnt there & i identified that from the very beging.....Your earlier post showed your disattisfaction & then your latter post totatly was your opposite & stated that you enjoyed the shoot........

I dont hide behind false names......unlike some BUT i didnt miss your point, ive set enough shoots BUT us "SETTERS" cant be wrong for being right !!!

No one will set targets for less than 5% of their customer base....just saying !!

Unable to identify your real name or averages.........but i dont really need or want to .........Good Luck with your shooting in the future😉

End of this for me!

Latest posts

Back