Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Classic today and a very good course, I saw every target just a shame I just wasn’t on it.  Started badly  and didn’t really get going. Just one of those days.   Weather wasn’t very pleasant we got soaked on our first course towards the last few stands and it got windy on the second course which was a shame.  We all changed out of our shorts after the first course.  

Coleys, busy judging by cars & last rotation appeared to be almost full, I say almost as our merry squad was only 5,  we started on st3 a deceptive l-r looper with an edgy r-l 1/4ering away, it did not bode nor turn out well. A rather easier looking l-r simo pair of dropping incomers then made me gnash teeth, a mood that stayed with me most of the course as one was just not at all with it, that said I've had worse days, it just wasn't a day that I felt at all at ease throughout. Course itself wasn't horrid / nasty, yes one or two ( or three ) targets affected by weather / background no more no less than the norm and same for all.

Others in the merry gang fared much better than I and yes very much looked like some smiles on more than one so day turned out not so bad after all.

Don't know scores, it was, for me a day to consign to history not memory.

The Classic today and a very good course, I saw every target just a shame I just wasn’t on it.  Started badly  and didn’t really get going. Just one of those days.   Weather wasn’t very pleasant we got soaked on our first course towards the last few stands and it got windy on the second course which was a shame.  We all changed out of our shorts after the first course.  
Me too the only stands I straighted was the 3 clay full use stands. First barrelled all of them. Iam thinking of taking up fitasc.

I also did Ian Coleys. Overall a good course, but three very firm stands that only one person straighted all day. 93 HG and some very good names mid to high 80s. 84 for me.

Will I also did Coleys yesterday. I thought it a very varied course, set for all different abilities. I managed to straight stand one, but normal service was resumed on stands 2 and 3 .

Ended up on 76, I dropped one bird on each of four stands, so kicking myself for lapses of concentration.

Incidentally on stand 12, a simo pair of R to L,where you had to shoot quick, which target did you shoot first ? The majority of our squad took the rear bird first then the front as it was in the trees, one youngster in front of me took them the other way round and smashed all 10, it left me confused as which to shoot first.... damm young eyes and quick reactions.

Will I also did Coleys yesterday. I thought it a very varied course, set for all different abilities. I managed to straight stand one, but normal service was resumed on stands 2 and 3 .

Ended up on 76, I dropped one bird on each of four stands, so kicking myself for lapses of concentration.

Incidentally on stand 12, a simo pair of R to L,where you had to shoot quick, which target did you shoot first ? The majority of our squad took the rear bird first then the front as it was in the trees, one youngster in front of me took them the other way round and smashed all 10, it left me confused as which to shoot first.... damm young eyes and quick reactions.
Yes kids see it completely differently. Pay no attention! I recall one target was ahead of the other (maybe a bit lower too) and I stuck four feet on that and shot it fairly quickly for me (so not that quickly..). Then I was left with a slow second target that was against the trees and slowing up. I just missed one of the first ones by being a bit slow.

EJC today. It was a bit odd because they had a Property business corporate shoot which overran badly so the two events were tripping over each other. Big apologies from EJC management as it caused queues and the two cultures of shooter didn't always mix well.. It would have been a brutal experience for the beginner / occasional game shooter types that were there.

Anyway, I thought it was a good testing course for us CPSA folks and I was fairly happy with 88, despite the usual 4 or 5 losses that I felt I really should have avoided. I would think 94 HG will do it. An unexpected rain shower came along but luckily there was cover nearby. Can't complain and enjoyed it actually as I felt I shot a bit better than of late.

Churchill's today for a fairly firm course, personally didn't shoot well with 83 and felt a good five light for me even allowing for the harder stands which oddly enough I shot well enough. Nothing distant but some targets took a lot of hitting, still confused as to why I missed all four of the first birds on the simmo pair on stand 7 😦 , looked for all the world fairly unmissable as a slowish high left to right but despite giving it from almost nothing to a foot or two never even ruffled its feathers, can only imagine I must have been shooting high as it was dropping by then ! 

Agree with Will about the two "comps" clashing as they seemed to even change refs at times and the fact they shot 3 pairs to our 4 didn't help concentration. No real gripes though as the targets themselves were nice and tidy. 

Churchill's today for a fairly firm course, personally didn't shoot well with 83 and felt a good five light for me even allowing for the harder stands which oddly enough I shot well enough. Nothing distant but some targets took a lot of hitting, still confused as to why I missed all four of the first birds on the simmo pair on stand 7 😦 , looked for all the world fairly unmissable as a slowish high left to right but despite giving it from almost nothing to a foot or two never even ruffled its feathers, can only imagine I must have been shooting high as it was dropping by then ! 

Agree with Will about the two "comps" clashing as they seemed to even change refs at times and the fact they shot 3 pairs to our 4 didn't help concentration. No real gripes though as the targets themselves were nice and tidy. 
Stand 7.. Yes the higher target didn't need much lead and i suppose if you left it late it would fall on you. I got it before it slowed right up.

Stand 7.. Yes the higher target didn't need much lead and i suppose if you left it late it would fall on you. I got it before it slowed right up.
Also shot EJC today.  Missed the first two of those in front.  Seemed to do that a lot today.  Nothing needed a big gap - apart maybe from the second bird on Stand 4.

Low points for me - missing too many in front including 3 of the first bird on Stand 9 and all of the green ones on Stand 2, which I totally misread.  Also missed two of the pink on Stand 4 - too busy thinking about the quick second bird and neglecting the easy one.

High points - straight on the double rabbit stand and only dropping one of the teals on Stand 1.

Finished on 72, but felt that it should have been high 70's and that I'd let myself down a bit.

I shot EJC to and was doing very well until I got to stand 4 and 5 where I missed all four second birds on both stands.  I did lose them a bit and wished on stand 4 I had taken my gun down momentarily to shoot it. Stand 3 I misjudged the second bird twice and then missed the first bird of the third Pair!   Those 3 stands cost me 11 birds.  The rest of the misses were odd bird here and there.  My highlights were 9/10 on the teal missing my second bird on first pair and then changed my approach which worked and stand 8 where I was a veritable robot and got them all.   Finished on 83.  Tony made it from work for last card so walked around with him.  He missed 1 bird in his first 52 birds and then got sloppy he finished on 88.  

Last edited by a moderator:
EJC today. It was a bit odd because they had a Property business corporate shoot which overran badly so the two events were tripping over each other. Big apologies from EJC management as it caused queues and the two cultures of shooter didn't always mix well.. It would have been a brutal experience for the beginner / occasional game shooter types that were there.
...And against CPSA rules, to run 2 shoots/and or practice, on the same course/stands at the same time. Heard that 26 people stopped shooting and got refunds.

Owls today. Wind, wet, 70. Not a disaster - enough said.
Same for us very windy and odd bit of rain going around.  Stand 4 (Vince)missed all four chondel I simply misread it and it needed a bit more.  Finished on 83.  Had a go on pool shoot 21/25.

I was directly behind you on #4 Sian could see you having a bit of trouble of with that. 83 great going though I’d have loved that score today 👍 

I was directly behind you on #4 Sian could see you having a bit of trouble of with that. 83 great going though I’d have loved that score today 👍 
So irritating not to find it.  I really didn’t think I would have an issue with it but maybe that was the problem!!  

I'm a bit disappointed with Churchills on Thursday, they shouldn't really be running 2 competitions on the same day, but despite that I didn't shoot badly with 82 and that included missing 7 on the sim pair of L-R on the right of skeet, held out miles too far on the first bird and the second bird by the time I got to it was dropping and curling away.

Nice morning at Owls today, good variety of targets, and missed the worse of the weather with just one brief stop for some rain.  Fairly steady 88, missed 9 on the first 6 stands including 3 of the short windows rabbits on stand 7.

Latest posts

Back