Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps it stands for 'Regular Sporting'!!! 😁

Even if you type widdington, or widdington shoot in the main search bar, no results are found for them. Just wondering if they are even affiliated to the CPSA now.

It’s possible Widdington failed to register the shoot with the CPSA. (happy for my score not to emerge either..)

AGL today. A course with some steady stands and some tough ones. I dropped 4 easyish targets early on which ruined my card quickly. The new platform out in the field area was pretty brutal. A tricky low quartering orange, followed by a monster battue. Dropped 4 there, but at least found the battue once; massive lead and needed to follow the line well too. A decent straight on stand 6 (the two high r-l, the first of which was a good way out there). 87 which is probably 7 or 8 light for HG. 

Just spoke to Widdington on the phone and they assure me they had spoken to the CPSA previous to the shoot although only a few days,they were using the shoot program on the day.

I suspect as in most issues like this CPSA H.O. have failed to pull there fingers out where necessary and will get round to it when they can be bothered...

I would like to be more positive about CPSA H.O. but i have been let down by their administrative abilities too many times and in my experience they have no sense of urgency it just simply happens when they get round to it😥

Just spoke to Widdington on the phone and they assure me they had spoken to the CPSA previous to the shoot although only a few days,they were using the shoot program on the day.

I suspect as in most issues like this CPSA H.O. have failed to pull there fingers out where necessary and will get round to it when they can be bothered...

I would like to be more positive about CPSA H.O. but i have been let down by their administrative abilities too many times and in my experience they have no sense of urgency it just simply happens when they get round to it😥
Did Widdington mention if they had tried to upload the scores?

Did Widdington mention if they had tried to upload the scores?
Unfortunately the lady i spoke to wasn't the one doing admin on the day but she did mention there was some sort of issue but she didn't know what so i suspect that they can't because it hasn't been sorted at HO i may be completely wrong...but as if by magic i am sure RichW will pop up any second to defend the indefensible :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:

It is indeed odd as 1) no Widdington Fixture published in PULL, 2) no Widdington fixture on the CPSA web fixtures prior to shoot date, however 3) in the May 2019 PULL which has the May fixtures there is within the classifieds section a paid advert for said shoot, the Fixtures would be compiled by CPSA the advert by the publishers? 

As for the Widdington staff ringing CPSA HO a few days prior to the shoot date 26th, Id imagine virtually all CPSA Staff were involved with the EO at Hodnet so did indeed have quite a big work load on, BH Monday & back to work (few most probably having been away) manic mode and whilst this event needs clarifying I doubt that it, now its been raised at HO won't be ignored. Over the years Ive sent many a query to HO and found the staff polite, firm, replying within a reasonable time and in short always most helpful.

It is indeed odd as 1) no Widdington Fixture published in PULL, 2) no Widdington fixture on the CPSA web fixtures prior to shoot date, however 3) in the May 2019 PULL which has the May fixtures there is within the classifieds section a paid advert for said shoot, the Fixtures would be compiled by CPSA the advert by the publishers? 

As for the Widdington staff ringing CPSA HO a few days prior to the shoot date 26th, Id imagine virtually all CPSA Staff were involved with the EO at Hodnet so did indeed have quite a big work load on, BH Monday & back to work (few most probably having been away) manic mode and whilst this event needs clarifying I doubt that it, now its been raised at HO won't be ignored. Over the years Ive sent many a query to HO and found the staff polite, firm, replying within a reasonable time and in short always most helpful.
You definitely have more luck than me then as they messed up my membership number earlier in the year changing it to a 10 year old one and then effed my mates membership up preventing us from booking the English and British opens both when their were no major events on and after him ringing days before it lapsed to be told to call back later.Polite maybe,helpful not in my experience,reasonable time..in their opinion maybe...but you get a little sick of shoot admins asking if your going to rejoin when you are already and have been a member for ages and actually have a keyfob stating you will be for another 18 months with the correct number!

AGL for me having worked the morning and rushed for last card contemplating whether I should go or not.  Horrible traffic.  Should have eaten before shooting.  Started badly and generally felt I wasn’t in the right head space.   I think I have shot harder shoots there.    The orange and battue I missed first pair and last bird.   Stand 6 I over lead the first two second birds and missed the last first bird just really sloppy on my part.  77 so not happy with that.  

Barbury, they don't have many reg shoots and with having to be in Swindon for 11am it was, for me, lucky it was on. Rocked up at near 12, car par & ground rammed, over 200 in end I would imagine, saw a fair few chums & a fair few from here too. Shot with TipTop, we went 1-9, 11 12 back to 10 as 10 was suffering break down & v long delay. One shot 6 stands well 6 stands like a total clown, on some simo l-rs I dropped 11 out of 16 across 2 stands, got very wet and it did therefore feel a lot longer than the 3 hours it took to shoot it. Looking at scores Im not alone in finding Barbury a handful today, we did though have the pleasure of following Martin Myers, he shot a 97 to take HG, he made / makes everything look easy, it wasn't, it really wasn't.

Hoping for nicer weather & being able to improve my lot for Coleys on wednesday, might well see a few of you there.

Bit of a magical mystery tour this weekend.

Drove down to Fareham yesterday and shot the Sussex ABT championship and fitted a round of sporting in the gaps whilst waiting for other squads to shoot.  Can't believe how long it takes to shoot 100 trap targets, don't think I have the patience to do it again.  Was happy with my 83, which I thought was OK for a first timer.

Stayed over in Wiltshire overnight and was at Barbury by 9.15.  Some tough targets today, particularly the second bird on both stands 9 and 10, neither of which I touched.  I also managed to completely muck up the sim pair of lr battue and standard, dropping 9 on that stand.  Otherwise I shot fairly well, but with the damage done it was never going to be a great score.  Finished on 70.

Then a quick dash across to Urchfont, which also had a Reg shoot on today.  Started well, but was definitely starting to get tired by halfway around.  The only target I felt really beaten up by was the downhill quartering away rabbit from a platform.  Other than that it was mainly sloppy misses that I might have done better on had I been a bit fresher.  Finished on a 74, which is OK, but felt I should have done a little better.

Almost looking forward to not shooting for a few days (but only almost).

Horne for me, first shoot in B class hitting 76 with lots of silly singles dropped along the course. 

The only bird I couldn’t find at all was the long right to left crosser on the first station - still 2 months off my 1 year first picking up a gun so progress is steady enough. 

Can't remember the last time I placed never mind HG'nd with a 6 and and a 7 x 10 gracing my card ☺️ ,  hard registered shoot at Greenfield's where my hard won 90 pipped even mighty George by 1 bird and if rumours are to be believed even he thought the top field was unkind. I should be happy and of course I am but I do think birds should be thrown with the masses and mid level players firmly in mind, what won it for me was stand 9 where a pair of Teal was seemingly just thrown up in the air with very little thought as to how it would shoot for the majority 😐  both standard, distant and under power with one angled slightly, every bit "designed" to take targets off everyone, sorry but with the best will in the world and despite being the only straight on it, to me these (at least as simmo pairs) are not "big" or "testing" just nasty. I shot it like a robot, Full choke on the angled under power with maybe two feet of daylight as lead, then just mega concentration and line with maybe 2-3 feet of hold under on the second shot no more than around 20 feet from the ground at around 40-50+ yards, wouldn't do it again in a month of Sundays and that's my point, should a win come as the result of good shooting as well as good fortune ? 

There were lots of really good testing birds there but could have been tuned down a tad here and there, I've long said two hard birds on every (or even every other) stand is going to prove too much for most. 

Bit of a magical mystery tour this weekend.

Drove down to Fareham yesterday and shot the Sussex ABT championship and fitted a round of sporting in the gaps whilst waiting for other squads to shoot.  Can't believe how long it takes to shoot 100 trap targets, don't think I have the patience to do it again.  Was happy with my 83, which I thought was OK for a first timer.

Stayed over in Wiltshire overnight and was at Barbury by 9.15.  Some tough targets today, particularly the second bird on both stands 9 and 10, neither of which I touched.  I also managed to completely muck up the sim pair of lr battue and standard, dropping 9 on that stand.  Otherwise I shot fairly well, but with the damage done it was never going to be a great score.  Finished on 70.

Then a quick dash across to Urchfont, which also had a Reg shoot on today.  Started well, but was definitely starting to get tired by halfway around.  The only target I felt really beaten up by was the downhill quartering away rabbit from a platform.  Other than that it was mainly sloppy misses that I might have done better on had I been a bit fresher.  Finished on a 74, which is OK, but felt I should have done a little better.

Almost looking forward to not shooting for a few days (but only almost).
That midi on 9 needed a good gap, I hit it twice giving it ten foot.

Barbury too. Packed to the rafters.  3 1/4 hours to get round.Good shoot I thought. Testing in places .

More Sunday shoots here please.

A dip in form lately left me  happy with 85. Mrs Jasper 73 and had stand 10 ruined by the ref being an ass. 

Jasper. 

Longridge for me, 89/100, dropped 3 on final stand to bugger a decent card!

Good shoot as always, went round in the afternoon in just over an hour which was ideal after a full day at Garlands on Friday!

Last edited by a moderator:
Steady 85 at Barbury, got there before 9 and got round fairly quickly, I know a few others who started a bit later weren't as fortunate.

Good round of clays, kicking myself a bit for missing the last 2 close midis on 11, and then my last pair completely on 12 though.

Steady 85 at Barbury, got there before 9 and got round fairly quickly, I know a few others who started a bit later weren't as fortunate.

Good round of clays, kicking myself a bit for missing the last 2 close midis on 11, and then my last pair completely on 12 though.
Ouch.  I missed the first one of those on 11, was quicker than I thought when watching from behind so I was a little slow on it.  Missed two of the battue on 12, think I slowed up a little and was behind as a result.

Latest posts

Back