Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s Friday and that can only mean one thing.... looking forward to shooting on Sunday 

its gunsite this Sunday for me, the weather looks reasonable and as it’s been a few months since I last shot there I’m looking forward to the trip. Anybody else have this on their agenda ???
Phil and I are also thinking of taking the long (for us anyway) down there too, only been once but thoroughly enjoyed it.  

Phil and I are also thinking of taking the long (for us anyway) down there too, only been once but thoroughly enjoyed it.  
Shaun always puts on decent targets that the majority can hit , plus there’s always one or two stands a tad tricker than the rest 

On the plus side too, we saw a nice place on the way home last time, a bit of a butchers/vegetable/restaurant which we went into and had something nice to eat. Got jealous when I saw the roast dinners coming out 😋 the size of them Yorkshire puddings!  So if it’s nice we can sit outside with the dog 🐶 and I don’t have to cook when we get in either. 

I went fly fishing on Wednesday , I spent 8 hours in the p***ing rain , wading up to my armpits in a rising  Dales river . On the way home I found a fish and chip restaurant on the outskirts of Skipton ,  Giant Yorkshire and gravy starter , large Haddock , tea , bread and butter ... Sometimes the sport is secondary 😂

On the plus side too, we saw a nice place on the way home last time, a bit of a butchers/vegetable/restaurant which we went into and had something nice to eat. Got jealous when I saw the roast dinners coming out 😋 the size of them Yorkshire puddings!  So if it’s nice we can sit outside with the dog 🐶 and I don’t have to cook when we get in either. 
Go for it..... you’ll be sorry if You didn’t 

Just back from Owls. Decent course with no eye tests. Richard said I was High Gun as I left 🤣 (was one of the first handful to get around). Started off well enough dropping just 4 over stands 1-6 and that was just sloppy one aways. Then got up the top and didn’t touch the fast blaze down the bank L-R on 12 nor the battue on 10. So ended up dropping 15 over stands 6-12 to finish on 81 which I am happy with after recent performances. A few weekends off now as will be heading off to enjoy the Arizona sunshine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back from Owls. Decent course with no eye tests. Richard said I was High Gun as I left 🤣 (was one of the first handful to get around). Started off well enough dropping just 4 over stands 1-6 and that was just sloppy one aways. Then got up the top and didn’t touch the fast blaze down the bank L-R on 12 nor the battue on 10. So ended up dropping 15 over stands 6-12 to finish on 81 which I am happy with after recent performances. A few weekends off now as will be heading off to enjoy the Arizona sunshine.
Wasn’t their easiest course I thought. A lot of very fast tricky stuff. I dropped three rabbits on stand 2. I let them panic me on my first stand of the day. Finished on 84, not really shooting well round a whole course at the moment. 

Wasn’t their easiest course I thought. A lot of very fast tricky stuff. I dropped three rabbits on stand 2. I let them panic me on my first stand of the day. Finished on 84, not really shooting well round a whole course at the moment. 
I forgot about that rabbit. 2 chaps in front of me missed them all so I was happy to hit 3 of them and the one I missed was a jumper. Very little time to see it before it was gone so very much reaction shooting.

So a Cpsa rule book dropped through the door this morning . So as A few points have been discussed on here lately in ESP.  For clarification.

Re cages . 24.13.

1557589604166791714600.jpg

In the viewing point rule.24.2. KEEP NOISE DOWN FOR FAIRNESS.  And also don't wave your stupid fingers above my head . 

1557589653321954829395.jpg

OLSS. Too many clays diving into the ground or disappearing behind foliage for me. Didn’t enjoy it I’m afraid.
The only one is struggled to see was the L-R being fired from the top of the bank on stand 12, just couldn't connect and missed all 4.

I did find myself switching between my favourite peach and light purple lenses today though due to the change in colours against backgrounds and sun going in and out.

I didn't start well, was rushing my shots and dropped 9 over the first half then shot the last half really well only missing three over stands 1-6 to finish on 88.

I really enjoyed Owls and was doing quite well even the rabbits.  I did miss all four battue down in the bowl but like Dan stand 12 was my undoing.  I had missed 16 to that point but then missed 6 on that Stand!  I simply could not see the orange and found the green hard to pick up.  Tony the same with the orange.   I think a good few struggled with that.   Willy Thatcher waited for the sun to come back before shooting it and still struggled.   Unfortunately the sun disappeared behind a huge cloud for us, we’d still be there waiting for it.  Finished on 78 I think.

I really enjoyed Owls and was doing quite well even the rabbits.  I did miss all four battue down in the bowl but like Dan stand 12 was my undoing.  I had missed 16 to that point but then missed 6 on that Stand!  I simply could not see the orange and found the green hard to pick up.  Tony the same with the orange.   I think a good few struggled with that.   Willy Thatcher waited for the sun to come back before shooting it and still struggled.   Unfortunately the sun disappeared behind a huge cloud for us, we’d still be there waiting for it.  Finished on 78 I think.
It was definitely a shoot that was unkind to those without teenage reactions and vision. Not the best course setting IMO.

Shot at Grimsthorpe on Sat 11th. 

What a beautiful place. Great club house, and facilities. I really enjoyed the shoot. One of the nicest places that I have ever shot.

Finished on a 76, which is my best score for the season so far. 

Gunsite, was on verge of not going, Bunter thoiugh was very very keen and as he was driving seemed rude to stand him up. Rocked up at 10.30 entry nr 117 😳 it went past 200! Poor start missing first three clays which was daft even for me, managed to miss 6 first out targets in all, set up clearly wrong, that said did manage to get more right than wrong and despite missing 10 of my last 20 targets, book ended the three first by missing three last finished in the 70s & took family honours, a very rare event. 

Weather was stunning, did have to explain to a few west of Severn that the clouds had not fallen & blue is the actual colour of the sky, they are not too convinced that the flaming yellow thing in said sky isnt a sorcerers spell 😉

Will Baughan 99 was HG when I left, awesome simply awesome.

Honesberie for me. I heard the last shoot was rather soft. They had cured it for today! It was good. Reminded me of Westfield with some good longer targets. 87 for me. I reckon 97 will be HG but largely due to a glittering entry list. 

Honesberie for me. I heard the last shoot was rather soft. They had cured it for today! It was good. Reminded me of Westfield with some good longer targets. 87 for me. I reckon 97 will be HG but largely due to a glittering entry list. 
Honesberie for me as well. Really enjoyed it but I'll confess to have actual nerves before the first stand! The excitement of shooting after a break was something I hadn't experienced before.

Stand 8 in the field really cost me, I didn't read the line of the midi properly. I ended on 78 which is 'average' but not unexpected after a break.

Honesberie for me as well. Really enjoyed it but I'll confess to have actual nerves before the first stand! The excitement of shooting after a break was something I hadn't experienced before.

Stand 8 in the field really cost me, I didn't read the line of the midi properly. I ended on 78 which is 'average' but not unexpected after a break.
Everybody I saw missing that midi was in front. Needed little. I hit it twice and was so pleased when I got it well, I missed the easy report bird. 

Steady 89 at Gunsite in the glorious sunshine this morning.

Very, very busy though, took nearly three hours to get round and I was on my own, dropped concentration on one stand after waiting for ages, rest was good. 

Gunsite for us too. Took forever to get there, M4, j3-12 was 50 mph. We left before 9 and got there about 11.30 ish then took 3 1/2 hours to get round.  Loved the targets, had some lovely stands and then some not so lovely stands 😂. Finished on 75 which I was fairly pleased with then a loooong drive home! 

Back