Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was sat at my office desk at 12.20 and got a call from a mate to say there was a space at AGL Masters at 13.40. A sane person would have said no, but I rushed home, got changed, assembled my gun, packed my bag and roared off to AGL, just making it in time. What a mistake. I clearly left my head in the office and shot like a drunk person. The shoot was pretty soft until stands 11 and 12, which added insult to injury as I was missing everywhere. The last 20 targets were stands 13, a fair good high looper with full use on four singles (odd) then 14 and 15 which were not testing. I still missed more. Write the day off as ridiculous and I must never rush unplannned to a shoot again!

The wind is crazy tomorrow, which this soft course will actually stand I think.. I have to say I think it was a better event last year.

Was sat at my office desk at 12.20 and got a call from a mate to say there was a space at AGL Masters at 13.40. A sane person would have said no, but I rushed home, got changed, assembled my gun, packed my bag and roared off to AGL, just making it in time. What a mistake. I clearly left my head in the office and shot like a drunk person. The shoot was pretty soft until stands 11 and 12, which added insult to injury as I was missing everywhere. The last 20 targets were stands 13, a fair good high looper with full use on four singles (odd) then 14 and 15 which were not testing. I still missed more. Write the day off as ridiculous and I must never rush unplannned to a shoot again!

The wind is crazy tomorrow, which this soft course will actually stand I think.. I have to say I think it was a better event last year.
The course may stand it but some of us may be blown about a bit.  😂. When Tony starts losing the fight against the wind then the rest of us have no chance of staying steady.  Shame really.

The course may stand it but some of us may be blown about a bit.  😂. When Tony starts losing the fight against the wind then the rest of us have no chance of staying steady.  Shame really.
I don't mind the clays dancing about in the wind but when you cannot hold your gun steady I admit defeat.

Well I shot it and shot it badly lost some to the wind and a lot to just feeling like I really didn’t want to be there.   The wind was a real nuisance but I expected that. I am never shooting in squad again unless I know them.  In fact we weren’t a squad, they just wandered off.  Had to ask one of them to lower his voice when chatting because he was very loud and having already asked the ref to do that but he didn’t.  

If its anything like the weather oop north i pity anyone shooting comp in this. I learned a long time ago that shooting comps in bad weather is demoralising and best left alone

If its anything like the weather oop north i pity anyone shooting comp in this. I learned a long time ago that shooting comps in bad weather is demoralising and best left alone
Yes you are right but the nuisance of wind was nothing in comparison to the affect a cr*p squad has on me.  I’m not looking for people to be acting like they’re out On a jolly or something but I am looking for a level of cohesion as a squad and keeping voices to a respectful level when you aren’t shooting.  If the ref had actually done what he’s supposed to do I wouldn’t have had to ask the person myself which is just awkward.

Westfield today. (premier league, not that you would know 😆). 

Excellent course, a real breath of fresh air after some of the stuff I’ve shot at lately. Really felt good to hit some of it. Great scenery. Good gaps on longer targets but everything visible. Not overly tough but felt so worth shooting. Only shot a pretty average score but enjoyed it. 

Dartford and Court Farm for me.  A 73 and a 71.  I think that the best word to describe my shooting today is meh!  Nothing horrendously wrong with it, but missing random stuff that I shouldn't.  Shooting under teals, occasional poor choice of hold point, just the usual sort of thing that lets the points bleed away.  

Ian Coleys esp reg today. This was a course that looked a bit scared to offend anybody after last months unpopular tough one. However scores weren’t massive when I left at 2pm. I shot round with Steve Lovatt who was doing brilliantly until his last stand but still finished on 95. I started by missing three silly close ones on my first stand and was very cross.. Dug in to finish on 91. I reckon next month will probably be very good, with best balance returning. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian Coleys esp reg today. This was a course that looked a bit scared to offend anybody after last months unpopular tough one. However scores weren’t massive when I left at 2pm. I shot round with Steve Lovatt who was doing brilliantly until his last stand but still finished on 95. I started by missing three silly close ones on my first stand and was very cross.. Dug in to finish on 91. I reckon next month will probably be very good, with best balance returning. 
Am another who shot Coleys today, was raining hard before we started at 2.30 did though ease off & stop after a stand or two. The merry squad of 5 had ups & downs, sadly I hogged the downs, no it was not the most frightening of courses, that said I have developed a habit of really messing up and having a dire stand then two poor ones, this regardless of the actual level of difficulty of said stands, did though find some rythum, not earth shattering rythum but an upturn on what Id been doing thats for sure. When finished I had the feeling the shoot was a bit like going out to dinner & not feeling as if what youd ordered was not enough to fill the void.

As for squad Joe H 92, Jerry P 92/3 shot very well.

HG Julian Morris 97, the chap shot 92 at the w/es Eng Selection Shoot so in some fine form

I did notice C was won with an 87, theres quite a few A & AAs would have taken that today.

Am another who shot Coleys today, was raining hard before we started at 2.30 did though ease off & stop after a stand or two. The merry squad of 5 had ups & downs, sadly I hogged the downs, no it was not the most frightening of courses, that said I have developed a habit of really messing up and having a dire stand then two poor ones, this regardless of the actual level of difficulty of said stands, did though find some rythum, not earth shattering rythum but an upturn on what Id been doing thats for sure. When finished I had the feeling the shoot was a bit like going out to dinner & not feeling as if what youd ordered was not enough to fill the void.

As for squad Joe H 92, Jerry P 92/3 shot very well.

HG Julian Morris 97, the chap shot 92 at the w/es Eng Selection Shoot so in some fine form

I did notice C was won with an 87, theres quite a few A & AAs would have taken that today.
87 in C class, was there much sand around......🧐

How exactly do people think people should go up from the lower classes ? 

Looking on the CPSA site C was won on 82 (not 87).  The guy that won has done three Reg shoots recently and before that his last one was in 2017 where he shot a 57.  Hi current average is 77 so it looks like he's about to sneak in at the bottom of A class.  Poor bloke looks to have improved over the last couple of years, started up Reg shoots again and is getting unjustly accused of sandbagging.

Looking on the CPSA site C was won on 82 (not 87).  The guy that won has done three Reg shoots recently and before that his last one was in 2017 where he shot a 57.  Hi current average is 77 so it looks like he's about to sneak in at the bottom of A class.  Poor bloke looks to have improved over the last couple of years, started up Reg shoots again and is getting unjustly accused of sandbagging.
Er, I twas there, Coleys released scores on FB C was won on 87, cant comment on why not showing on CPSA, as before theres no great prize incentive to win C, 

Well shot Goldfinch, now if you ever find a way of making this so called sandbagging lark pay let me know. 

Honestly the way some people keep going on about this you'd think people are paying their mortgage that way. 

Latest posts

Back