Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot an awesome round at sporting targets today. I only hit 74 but was pleased with how I shot. It was the sort of round that if you came off some stands with 5x8 you had shot well.3x 92s were high but several big names struggled.

Lovely to see you Will and yes, Sian shot great. Bebo deserves a mention too, first time at sport trap and a great 70 👏👍 well done!
Thank you Donna, well shot on the sporting.  Well shot to Sian on both!

Enjoyed my first round of Sportrap ever, even though I was a bit nervous.  Checked my fitbit after and my heartrate was up at or over 120bpm throughout (normal resting is about 68 for me).  Started well, but concentration was definitely dwindling towards the end - 19, 20, 17 and 14.  The first layout probably had the hardest targets, whilst I struggled on a mini on the third, only hitting it once.  Happy enough with a 70, but felt that I could have done better if I'd read the sim pairs a bit better and kept focused until the end.

Managed to get the first five stands of the sporting in before my 10.30 start on the Sportrap, only dropping 6 clays (three of those on Stand 3).  Had three really poor stands out of the remaining 10.  I think it was 7 with two left to right crossers.  Totally misread the first one, that must have been coming in more than I thought, and shot in front of it every time.  It as only after I realised I needed to be at it.  Sim pair on 10? - left to right quickish crosser and a left to right looping incomer - minced the crosser and missed the sitter on every pair.  Shooting too far under it!  Had a final stand meltdown on the stand with the overhead where I missed the last two pairs.  15 away on those three stands.  Most of the rest I was one or two away.  Finished on a 88, which is almost bang on my average.  Satisfied with that at Southdown, which for some reason is a bit of a bogey ground for me. 

Sunday was Four Counties for me. The pool shoot didn't prepare me for stand 1 which was a close quartering rabbit followed by a close crossing rabbit, (it was Easter Sunday after all,) they cost me a few and woke me up. Annoyingly, I missed a few silly driven birds before connecting with them but mostly lost one here and a couple there. It was a nice layout with two new stands since I last shot there, the dappled light, bluebells and new green growth in the woods made it a magical experience.

I usually enter "Veterans" but they don't have that class for some reason. I shot above my average with 87 which was pleasing, because I usually shoot below average at 4 counties, and I would have taken Vets. It was nice to see Richard F. doing well, shooting 95 for second place, Huw Stephens won with 96.

Sunday was Four Counties for me. The pool shoot didn't prepare me for stand 1 which was a close quartering rabbit followed by a close crossing rabbit, (it was Easter Sunday after all,) they cost me a few and woke me up. Annoyingly, I missed a few silly driven birds before connecting with them but mostly lost one here and a couple there. It was a nice layout with two new stands since I last shot there, the dappled light, bluebells and new green growth in the woods made it a magical experience.

I usually enter "Veterans" but they don't have that class for some reason. I shot above my average with 87 which was pleasing, because I usually shoot below average at 4 counties, and I would have taken Vets. It was nice to see Richard F. doing well, shooting 95 for second place, Huw Stephens won with 96.
I heard they had some new stands, to replace the ones that previously required welding masks to shoot.. So despite defending the matter with me last time, it’s now fixed.. sigh..

I heard they had some new stands, to replace the ones that previously required welding masks to shoot.. So despite defending the matter with me last time, it’s now fixed.. sigh..
Well done Will, presumably you were referring to the full on sunshine in one or two stands. I noticed the difference and was pleased not to suffer with arc eye on Sunday.

By the way, I was very pleased with the new Ultradrive glasses, thanks for the advice.

To anyone who thought that clay grounds were busy over a weekend, they could well get a whole lot busier. The General Licence for most vermin species of birds, ends on Thursday. Thanks to Mr. Packham and his mates. 

To anyone who thought that clay grounds were busy over a weekend, they could well get a whole lot busier. The General Licence for most vermin species of birds, ends on Thursday. Thanks to Mr. Packham and his mates. 
Oh great. A horde of incompetent, noisy, inexperienced shooters without a clue about gun safety, protocol or the rules at reg shoots.

Yes mr w*******r packham and his mates meddling Natural England are revoking three general licences  for vermin control just read about this on BASC site they are urgently calling for a meeting with Natural England over this as it could put many vermin shooters to unwiittingly break the law . There is a lot of advice from BASC about this on their site where they are saying shooters who need to control vermin will have to apply for individual licence from natural England to continue after Thursday 

sh*t. Think I’ll take up tiddlywinks, it’s safer than dealing with these wallys

I don’t think disparaging remarks about pigeon shooters are called for. Many clay shots also shoot pigeons including the likes of George Digweed.
I fully appreciate that many clay shooters also shoot live quarry but I'm talking about the ones who rarely, if ever shoot registered standard sporting clays.

Try working as a ref when a group of 6 or 7 turn up without eye protection, sometimes even without ear protection, complete with partners, kids and pets, no idea about targets over 25 yards, treating the event like a Sunday morning giggle and ejecting their shell cases over you and anyone else in the vicinity whilst their mates are loudly dishing out advice. Then, just to round it off nicely, someone swings in their 9 year old grandson.granddaughter to have a pop with a 410.

Worth watching all through, but 2.5 mins in for relevance here.. Humour intended people.. no serious responses please. 😆

Last edited by a moderator:
FITASC at EJC this morning. Shot it relatively well for me, on 86. A good layout with plenty of testing stuff, but not relentless. Paul Lovick leading on 91 when I left.

Not a big entry, but it’s not for everyone. Its monthly and is shot straight through, no breaks so it’s 3 hours. 9am, 12pm or 3pm start times. Worth a go if you can.

Owls today, 💷 prize from last months reg awaited me, most Ive ever picked up, it covered todays entry & cartridges 😊 was evident. Shot at 3pm, it was a bit blowy, cant say it affected my targets as I didnt look at any prior / pre wind so to speak. Shot a few stands very well, some well, some average and a couple (last two) poorly, it was I thought a good firm course, nothing given, nothing to egg ones face. Chum Nick Portlock 91 shot superbly, didnt see scores so cant confirm hg etc. 

😊 shooting today

Owls today, 💷 prize from last months reg awaited me, most Ive ever picked up, it covered todays entry & cartridges 😊 was evident. Shot at 3pm, it was a bit blowy, cant say it affected my targets as I didnt look at any prior / pre wind so to speak. Shot a few stands very well, some well, some average and a couple (last two) poorly, it was I thought a good firm course, nothing given, nothing to egg ones face. Chum Nick Portlock 91 shot superbly, didnt see scores so cant confirm hg etc. 

😊 shooting today
92 HG. Looked tough by scores.

Owls for me too, firm course as the 92 HG confirms, only two other AAA's managed to break into 90 😮. There were plenty of good targets about and the wind (as ever here) didn't help but for me personally I just don't see the point in throwing simmo's that guarantee one bird being well out of the sweet spot 😐 , stand 7 I think a nice high crosser was coupled with a screaming away overhead that was designed to take targets off you as was stand 11 where an incomer and another away over your left shoulder at mental speed again not just testing you but making sure you dropped some, dropped 7 on those two alone so 82 not so bad all told. At least one shooter on our squad blanked one of these stands, both were 5 pair jobs too, somebody explain the rationale behind that to me. 

Agree shot with you today  thanks for advice on the recoil pads headache subsiding now looking forward to the green x pad arriving tomorrow  well shot today all the best  Charlie. 

Latest posts

Back