Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Willinghurst today - I was found out big time. I effectively struggle with any and everything at range - particularly crossers. Practice hours needed focusing on reading lead required I think. A sad 62. 

Willinghurst today - I was found out big time. I effectively struggle with any and everything at range - particularly crossers. Practice hours needed focusing on reading lead required I think. A sad 62. 
Is it worth a visit again? I'm working today but it's only up the road from home. Can you just turn up and shoot on your own?

Willinghurst today. Overall a very enjoyable shoot set into a hillside. Some big targets that you don’t normally see at the grounds I use so predictably there were a few tears! Meagre 73. However great to see someone putting on some challenging targets with variety down this part of the world. I really look forward to the next one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Four Counties today. Might be my last visit there..

I did start very badly on my first stand, (stand 8 maybe)?, hitting 4/10. They don’t vary targets much at 4C and this stand almost always has some close floppy clays, but today they were much further out which fooled me. Mashed last pair well with lots more lead. Very silly on my part.

Anyway, went moderately ok round the rest of the tricky course, the wind was bad in places, missing another 10. Was on for a not disastrous 84 if I straighted the last stand. 

I went back to my last stand 3 times hoping for a cloud because the sun was ridiculous. (Stand 9)? Well, of course the sun itself wasn’t ridiculous, but a course setter throwing both targets directly into it was! A big cloud passed over by the time I was almost due to shoot it at third attempt, but it was in direct full sun again while I queued. Fed up by this point, me and my mate decided to quit the shoot, leaving just this stand unshot. I handed our cards in and it got a bit heated in the office because they didn’t understand the CPSA rule that says if a competitor retires, their score is marked against targets shot. I.e 68 out of 84 or whatever, NOT out of 100. So that was uncomfortable, plus I did call it idiocy to set targets right into the sun, which went down rather badly..
its expensive shooting ,  people need to be told  ,  hopefully should not happen again !

Willinghurst for me to today, first esp shoot in over a year, and boy did I get battered [emoji23]. Really enjoyed the course and location will definitely be back.

Southdown today. A good course with a bit of everything. (Actually, no incomers or driven, but apart from that..). I shot most of it well enough but had an irritating bunch of misses on stuff that needed no lead. Finished on 89 but should have been more, so frustrating. However the worst part of the day was when I got home, opened the car up and found no gun, which I left on my last stand after getting chatting to a fella who shot with us. What a knob.. it would be at the ground that’s a 3 hour round trip! 😫

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch!  Hopefully they've got it safely locked away for you.

Gatton Bottom for me.  Screwed up a simple following pair shooting in front and struggled with the second bird on both lots of sim pairs.  That accounted for 16 lost targets, then dropped another 14 on the rest of the way around for a 70.  Disappointing, should have been more today.

Four weeks since I'd shot a round which included two weeks away so 89 at Greenfields wasn't too shabby I thought (might even have placed but won't know for a day or two). Much more interesting is what happened on stand 7 which featured a tasty high R/L quartering crosser at good range with the clay thrown edge on, after literally only just breaking (in half) my third bird, I couldn't help but stop and turn around and ask whether the scorer could even see the sh*te hits 😳 , yes was the reply acknowledged further by waiting shooters so off I went and did likewise on the next two pairs stepping off with 9 scored having dropped one from the report bird which was a fast dropping angled away standard. 

To say I was baffled by such poor breaks is an understatement until the penny eventually dropped that on the previous stand I'd swapped to Skeet choke to cope with a very fast close looper. Despite being an advocate of multi chokes I tend to stick to half and can go days without changing and on this occasion simply forgot to switch back (not for the first time either) and the result was obvious, don't let anyone tell you chokes don't make a difference. I got lucky. 

Southdown today. A good course with a bit of everything. (Actually, no incomers or driven, but apart from that..). I shot most of it well enough but had an irritating bunch of misses on stuff that needed no lead. Finished on 89 but should have been more, so frustrating. However the worst part of the day was when I got home, opened the car up and found no gun, which I left on my last stand after getting chatting to a fella who shot with us. What a knob.. it would be at the ground that’s a 3 hour round trip! 😫
I hope you get it back and that someone has handed it in Will.  

Southdown for us too today and after a dreadful windy shoot 2 weeks ago it was nice to shoot in much calmer conditions.  78 for me which is a PB, BUT I missed a few silly ones here and there.  Only had one “bad” stand (11) where I had a 4/8. Apart from that I straighted  stand 6 and was a few away here and there.  So all in all, good score for me but kicking myself as I know I could’ve got into the 80’s today which I would have been chuffed with.  Roll on next week at the Essex Masters which I thoroughly enjoy but never shoot very well for some reason! Hope to improve on my last few years scores there! 

Southdown for me too.  Gun fit better so that was a bonus.   Last layout of Sportrap got me I found it too orange and too close so dropped too many.   Sporting shot okay but worst stand was missing a close orange all four times, got,to me went on to the stand with the longer birds a bit wound up and missed the first pair tw*t.  dropped a lot of ones for no good reason.  Finished on 79 didn’t realise there’d be a shoot off for lady’s champion and had left.  

Southdown for me too.  Gun fit better so that was a bonus.   Last layout of Sportrap got me I found it too orange and too close so dropped too many.   Sporting shot okay but worst stand was missing a close orange all four times, got,to me went on to the stand with the longer birds a bit wound up and missed the first pair tw*t.  dropped a lot of ones for no good reason.  Finished on 79 didn’t realise there’d be a shoot off for lady’s champion and had left.  
Gutted for you, next time just shoot the close orange ones and you would be the champ 😂

I shot Cambridge today and it must have been the hardest round I've ever shot.  Sim pairs of rocketing away clays, several 60 yard slow crossers, sim pairs of incomers that refused to get closer than 40 yards, a quartering away 60 yard rabbit, and a 10 stand consisting of a 90 yard crow followed by a 60 yard crosser. The current world champion won it on 84. I hit 62 my worse score for 10 years.

I shot Cambridge today and it must have been the hardest round I've ever shot.  Sim pairs of rocketing away clays, several 60 yard slow crossers, sim pairs of incomers that refused to get closer than 40 yards, a quartering away 60 yard rabbit, and a 10 stand consisting of a 90 yard crow followed by a 60 yard crosser. The current world champion won it on 84. I hit 62 my worse score for 10 years.
Damn. Missed this one. 🙈😖🤣

Latest posts

Back