Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have changed from outside catering supplier to in-house chef. A bit up in the air today!! 
Went in to check my sportrap slot and there was nothing on the counter and the bloke just looked lost seemed like he was on his own!

When we were there last month the bloke from the outside company told us they weren't doing any cooked food after 3 under instruction as it was still winter.

Shame really as there had been an improvement under the outside caterers although they hadn't been there that long and it wasn't to bad before that.

Went in to check my sportrap slot and there was nothing on the counter and the bloke just looked lost seemed like he was on his own!

When we were there last month the bloke from the outside company told us they weren't doing any cooked food after 3 under instruction as it was still winter.

Shame really as there had been an improvement under the outside caterers although they hadn't been there that long and it wasn't to bad before that.
After 3? That’s just stupid as last entries were 3 or 3.30 I think.  I can understand not doing cooked food but not even a tea or coffee? That’s just putting the kettle on for goodness sake. We ended up stopping off somewhere on the way home so it’s businees lost for them I’m afraid. 

I think it’s about time the paying customers started to complain about obviously shoddy course setting, it’s not common but it is frustrating when it happens and most definitely not fair to all who take part.
Well, I got my score up on CPSA. Instead of the actual 76/92, I got 74/100. My mate also got his reduced by two hits. I assume we were fined 2 clays for complaining. Oh well, it’s a dropped score if I just leave it, which I will. Good luck Four Counties. I will be in the 21st century if you need me.

Well, I got my score up on CPSA. Instead of the actual 76/92, I got 74/100. My mate also got his reduced by two hits. I assume we were fined 2 clays for complaining. Oh well, it’s a dropped score if I just leave it, which I will. Good luck Four Counties. I will be in the 21st century if you need me.
This sounds extremely poor.

But Will, on the plus side does this now make you the new bad boy of shooting? 😎 

This sounds extremely poor.

But Will, on the plus side does this now make you the new bad boy of shooting? 😎 
I would need more tattoos and bigger muscles first.. I’m not an angry person, but I do get frustrated seeing anything I care about working well below its potential. I admit, from running a tough business for 30 years, I sometimes forget I don’t actually have ownership of other people’s businesses, so can’t actually dictate their change. What is for sure is that I have to massively accommodate everything my customers need, or I’m finished. Hence I’m frustrated, jealous even, when I see a business that survives but is run badly. I like to think my local pub would turn over another £100k a year if I was in charge. Maybe I have a disorder..

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest, I voted with my feet a while back when I had to fight to get my prize money. Apparently if it's not collected within 3 months it finds a different home. My suggestion to have this rule mentioned on their scores spreadsheet that goes on to Facebook didn't seem to appeal.

I’m afraid when it comes to shooting we seem to have a like it or lump it attitude from some grounds, the core reason is of course lack of suitable land and therefore “competition”, running shoots that tick all the boxes almost all the time is hard work I’m sure but a good few do manage it, what I’ve always found surprising is how constructive criticism is dismissed or ignored by some. 

To physically not know the rules on apportioning scores is just lazy/daft.

I’m afraid when it comes to shooting we seem to have a like it or lump it attitude from some grounds, the core reason is of course lack of suitable land and therefore “competition”, running shoots that tick all the boxes almost all the time is hard work I’m sure but a good few do manage it, what I’ve always found surprising is how constructive criticism is dismissed or ignored by some. 

To physically not know the rules on apportioning scores is just lazy/daft.
Not that long ago I got joint HG at a 50 bird shoot at Four Counties. They gave the money to the other fella, because I wasn’t there at 3pm for the shoot off. Other fella didn’t have to lift his gun, but because he was there still drinking tea he got the cash. 🙈🤣

Four Counties today. Might be my last visit there..

I did start very badly on my first stand, (stand 8 maybe)?, hitting 4/10. They don’t vary targets much at 4C and this stand almost always has some close floppy clays, but today they were much further out which fooled me. Mashed last pair well with lots more lead. Very silly on my part.

Anyway, went moderately ok round the rest of the tricky course, the wind was bad in places, missing another 10. Was on for a not disastrous 84 if I straighted the last stand. 

I went back to my last stand 3 times hoping for a cloud because the sun was ridiculous. (Stand 9)? Well, of course the sun itself wasn’t ridiculous, but a course setter throwing both targets directly into it was! A big cloud passed over by the time I was almost due to shoot it at third attempt, but it was in direct full sun again while I queued. Fed up by this point, me and my mate decided to quit the shoot, leaving just this stand unshot. I handed our cards in and it got a bit heated in the office because they didn’t understand the CPSA rule that says if a competitor retires, their score is marked against targets shot. I.e 68 out of 84 or whatever, NOT out of 100. So that was uncomfortable, plus I did call it idiocy to set targets right into the sun, which went down rather badly..
Having spoken to a few people this morning who were at the shoot it seems you were the only person to complain and refuse to shoot the targets. Why do you think this is Will? Shoes pinching a bit or what?

Having spoken to a few people this morning who were at the shoot it seems you were the only person to complain and refuse to shoot the targets. Why do you think this is Will? Shoes pinching a bit or what?
Being the only one to complain to the staff doesn’t mean I was the only person pissed off. It was a big talking point. I just don’t have a problem expressing myself. Trust me it was a pain on that stand and many were complaining, just not at the check in desk.  Richard Faulds took a look at it and walked off, returning later. Most people stay quiet, suck it up, wait ages for a cloud (or get lucky immediately with a cloud) or shoot in the sun and miss. Their choice. I returned three times looking for cloud cover and was unlucky every time, maybe more so than most others. But, it was not the first time I had had a nightmare there and frustration is cumulative.

I know lots of people who have a rotten meal in a restaurant then tell the waiter is was fine and leave a big tip. Just not my way..

Maybe you should have had a word with Colin? He would have been the one to give you a definitive answer and he was looking for you. The girl on the admin desk was hardly the one to receive a verbal lashing from a customer was she?

Maybe you should have had a word with Colin? He would have been the one to give you a definitive answer and he was looking for you. The girl on the admin desk was hardly the one to receive a verbal lashing from a customer was she?
Ian this proves how you weren’t there and might want to climb off this rock.. I saw Colin as I walked in the office. He said how’s it going, to which I replied “fine apart from that stand in the sun”. He went “oh”, looked at the floor and walked out. I then handed my cards in and said please score these out of 92 as I’m not shooting one stand, to which the lady (not the young girls) said quite abruptly “no, it’s out of 100”. I told her that wasn’t the rule etc.. plus telling her about the sun stand. I certainly gave nobody a tongue lashing but did have to enlighten her about idiotic course setting when she said they can’t control the sun.. please don’t exaggerate.. I just left saying please enter the scores and left. They then did the scores wrongly and I won’t even be bothering to raise it..

I did say I had spoken to a number of people who were there and I did cross - reference the information to verify it. I have no intention of 'climbing down off this rock' as you so eloquently put it. I quite enjoy it up here and at least it might keep you on your toes!

Amazing isn’t it when you’re told to vote with your feet and not return to a place or politely mention what could be improved (which is clearly ultimately advantageous to the ground concerned).................then when you do people who weren’t even there jump in with their size elevens to offer “advice”.

I’m the same I’m afraid, will almost never leave a restaurant or barbers without leaving a tip even for average service but will tell them what wasn’t quite right, why should shooting be any different. 

I had the same as Mr Hewland but at oakedge back few years ago. The sun was affecting a stand so badly it was unshootable . I had gone comp. I felt it was unfair so went and asked for the difference between comp and birds only to be refunded to me. They looked at me like I had two heads.

They also had some difficulty in understanding the rules regarding the scores being taken from the stands you had shot, not the full 100.

I haven't been back.

See now they have given up on comps and are corporate only. 😁

Also when you do raise it with course setters you usually get  some unacceptable response ,like , it was ok at 9am this morning and that I should have got out of bed earlier. Poor excuse for carp setting. 

Jasper.

I had the same as Mr Hewland but at oakedge back few years ago. The sun was affecting a stand so badly it was unshootable . I had gone comp. I felt it was unfair so went and asked for the difference between comp and birds only to be refunded to me. They looked at me like I had two heads.

They also had some difficulty in understanding the rules regarding the scores being taken from the stands you had shot, not the full 100.

I haven't been back.

See now they have given up on comps and are corporate only. 😁

Also when you do raise it with course setters you usually get  some unacceptable response ,like , it was ok at 9am this morning and that I should have got out of bed earlier. Poor excuse for carp setting. 

Jasper.
I admit, there may be nobody more fussy than me about setting into the sun but I had already shot one other stand yesterday that was quite badly affected, but just about OK if you used the gun and your arm as a sun shield and accepted that you would have a bit of green-eye afterwards.

EJC is a ground that predominantly faces south and they have to work hard not to have the whole shoot ruined in the sun. Apart from winter before 10am they manage it. This is because they care and think about it..

I shot 4C's on Sunday. Started on stand 10, at 10 o'clock then on to 9 going round the course in reverse order leaving 11 until the end. There was a couple of groups that were at stand 9 early doors and had to use dark lens then. The consensus at that time was that the stand (9) would be near unshootable later on. A teal directly into the sun, and a high L/R quartering not being great target setting in my opinion for that stand. A tip for those that shoot 4C's...shoot stands 9, 10 first if you are there early saves all the grief later on.

I shot 4C's on Sunday. Started on stand 10, at 10 o'clock then on to 9 going round the course in reverse order leaving 11 until the end. There was a couple of groups that were at stand 9 early doors and had to use dark lens then. The consensus at that time was that the stand (9) would be near unshootable later on. A teal directly into the sun, and a high L/R quartering not being great target setting in my opinion for that stand. A tip for those that shoot 4C's...shoot stands 9, 10 first if you are there early saves all the grief later on.
I will blame the first F1 race of the year being in Australia. Watched that before I went to 4C so turned up at 11.30. No chance!

Southdown on Sunday for the England qualifier managed an 86 felt I left at least  5 out there

95 was HG

Latest posts

Back