Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure Sean will set his gunsite course for tomorrow with the wind in mind. Get our there.😁

Jasper.

Horne is cancelled today for the high winds. I can’t see how any shoot can work, because the gusts are so fierce. You can’t set up for that surely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horne is cancelled today for the high winds. I can’t see how any shoot can work, because the gusts are so fierce. You can’t set up for that surely.
Didn't bother with Owls yesterday as the wind and the prospect of a huge herd of people put me off so local club shoot with some proper targets even more challenging with the wind effect fitted in nicely.

Was going to go to Gunsite today but the prospect of driving 1.5hrs to shoot with the wind howling a constant 35mph plus put me off,shame as i love Shauns' targets 😥

Shot at Owls yesterday - believe me there were some challenging targets not withstanding the weather. Certainly a few stands more challenging than on some days - a couple of midi's with the wind up their tail concentrated the mind somewhat. The general consensus seemed to be everyone who shot prior to 1:30 to 2 ish were 8 to 10 clays down on a normal day - some big names scores certainly reflected that - Ricky Drapers score of 95 was truly outstanding in those conditions. The wind then eased up somewhat after 2 so anyone shooting then chose correctly as top of the leaderboard changed somewhat. Thoroughly enjoyed the day and to be honest didn't queue unduly long as we decided to start on stand 4, then come back to 1, 2 and 3 which was a good choice as hardly any one on them later. Really strong wind and shooting aren't a good mix that's for sure but I reckon Richard and his staff did a pretty good job in the circumstances. Decided to stay home today as didn't fancy two  skin peeling day's on the trot at Gunsite 😂😂

It seems that Sean can. Gunsite was thoroughly well thought out and enjoyable to shoot. Massive well-done to the team at gunsite. Yes windy . Made some targets tricky. But did not punish the c class . Quite a feat. As stated before , the best target setter around at the mo. In all conditions. 😉

Jasper.

I never learn!   Owls yesterday which I enjoyed, wind was less in the afternoon but still caught you out.  I had one stand where my eyes just  didn’t work and I really struggled to see the targets but I enjoyed myself.  Gunsite this morning blowing a Holley but I second what Jasper says, really good course setting just the overheads were savage and 5 pairs but really enjoyed it.  On to Westfield where it was also blowing a hooley really came unstuck on several stands and consequently shot a glorious 59.  Didn’t help myself because it gets to a point where I no longer want to try so my bad.   I did nearly fall over twice while shooting and I did struggle to keep upright at times - too much like hard work.  As said though I never learn.   I Can hear William Howland tutting and rolling his eyes.

I never learn!   Owls yesterday which I enjoyed, wind was less in the afternoon but still caught you out.  I had one stand where my eyes just  didn’t work and I really struggled to see the targets but I enjoyed myself.  Gunsite this morning blowing a Holley but I second what Jasper says, really good course setting just the overheads were savage and 5 pairs but really enjoyed it.  On to Westfield where it was also blowing a hooley really came unstuck on several stands and consequently shot a glorious 59.  Didn’t help myself because it gets to a point where I no longer want to try so my bad.   I did nearly fall over twice while shooting and I did struggle to keep upright at times - too much like hard work.  As said though I never learn.   I Can hear William Howland tutting and rolling his eyes.
You nearly fell over because you hardly weigh anything now!  Great weight loss my friend, you look good but you will feel the cold now!  Let’s hope the weather is better for next weekend.  

You nearly fell over because you hardly weigh anything now!  Great weight loss my friend, you look good but you will feel the cold now!  Let’s hope the weather is better for next weekend.  
Thanks.   I hope so, it’s a work out trying to keep upright without controlling a gun as well.

Despite the weather forecast I went to Westfield, expecting the worst. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the traps were set with pretty much full spring to punch through and remain pretty consistent.

I had a very nice card before I lost 11 birds on the last two stands 😭

I turned up at Horne (Gatton Bottom) only to find them shutting up shop. They had laid out all the traps but had to pull the plug due to huge variations in targets.

Scored some brownie points at home by painting the shed :sungum:

I turned up at Horne (Gatton Bottom) only to find them shutting up shop. They had laid out all the traps but had to pull the plug due to huge variations in targets.

Scored some brownie points at home by painting the shed :sungum:
Horne was always going to be the worst shoot ever in those conditions. Low spring clays with stands in close proximity, often throwing incoming clays from far away. It’s bad when it’s just breezy. 

I did a last minute trip to RBSS today for the Handicap Challenge shoot, as weather looked best day this week. 

A very good course where stands are all medium hard rather than anything extreme or too easy. Last stand is a bit tougher if you’re not great on long stuff. Cost me a few finding them..

The part where I disappointed myself was the 20 bird Grouse sequence, which I have done well on previously but it was quite different with some awkward angles and some longer targets. A poor 13 in there. It would have helped if I had seen somebody else shoot it first, but I went in blind. Elsewhere some daft misses, finishing on 81 (plus 5 handicap). Shame they couldn’t accommodate a second go straight after, as that would really have been good, having learned a few things first go. (I find if I try again another day, the wind changes, the light changes and my memory distorts it so it rarely works out well..) I will go again though.. recommended. Fibre only now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horne was always going to be the worst shoot ever in those conditions. Low spring clays with stands in close proximity, often throwing incoming clays from far away. It’s bad when it’s just breezy. 

I did a last minute trip to RBSS today for the Handicap Challenge shoot, as weather looked best day this week. 

A very good course where stands are all medium hard rather than anything extreme or too easy. Last stand is a bit tougher if you’re not great on long stuff. Cost me a few finding them..

The part where I disappointed myself was the 20 bird Grouse sequence, which I have done well on previously but it was quite different with some awkward angles and some longer targets. A poor 13 in there. It would have helped if I had seen somebody else shoot it first, but I went in blind. Elsewhere some daft misses, finishing on 81 (plus 5 handicap). Shame they couldn’t accommodate a second go straight after, as that would really have been good, having learned a few things first go. (I find if I try again another day, the wind changes, the light changes and my memory distorts it so it rarely works out well..) I will go again though.. recommended. Fibre only now.
I saw the FB post from RBSS about going fibre only, think one of the writers from sporting gun or such magazines went proper off his rocker over the decision.

Richard "never reviewed a bad gun or cartridge " Atkins foisting his opinion on others....never!
Fair enough statement except it's not quite as clear cut as him or anyone else being able to write warts'n all reviews about products, not in the regular mediums anyway. The manufacturers tend to send out stuff for reviews if they know they'll be shown in a good light and guns are the same. The only way you're going to get in depth unbiased tests is via people who are prepared to post on alternative sources such as social media, Youtube or forums - and then of course you need to learn to distinguish the wheat from the chaff, not always easy for the beginner faced with a chap giving it large as if he knows what he's talking about. 

There is a cloak of protection around even those 🤐, I have been known to get tut tutting fingers pointed at me for daring to stay neutral (read sceptical) about P guns latest highly technical (not) offering 😏, if you so much as waver from gushing admiration for anything and everything bearing thy hallowed name you become a marked trouble maker. I have even managed to achieve same day bans from K gun worshipping circles, this despite the fact I hold them in very high regard generally !

Richard "never reviewed a bad gun or cartridge " Atkins foisting his opinion on others....never!
Never met the guy in person but certainly his FB persona is very confrontational & condescending when responding to anyone who disagrees with his view. Nothing he has said to me just general observation. And I do think there is some truth in his view re: fibre wad performance in newer guns with over bored barrels. I certainly have no confidence in fibres through my DT11.

Never met the guy in person but certainly his FB persona is very confrontational & condescending when responding to anyone who disagrees with his view. Nothing he has said to me just general observation. And I do think there is some truth in his view re: fibre wad performance in newer guns with over bored barrels. I certainly have no confidence in fibres through my DT11.
That's at least partially because he gets a lot of confrontational, condescending replies to his views/posts, in life you either suck it or see to it that the other party gets the message that you won't tolerate rudeness or sark for the sake of it or simply because you have said something they disagree with. I get the same sometimes and have at times had to modify my otherwise perfectly friendly persona. 

That's at least partially because he gets a lot of confrontational, condescending replies to his views/posts, in life you either suck it or see to it that the other party gets the message that you won't tolerate rudeness or sark for the sake of it or simply because you have said something they disagree with. I get the same sometimes and have at times had to modify my otherwise perfectly friendly persona. 
He has strong moral fibre.  Aaargh don’t say fibre..

Back