Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seen some really shocking setting on rabbits just lately. It goes something like this. Mow the grass so we can see the target. :smile: . let the mown grass turn to yellow hay :angel: . then throw a blaze target on it at 40 -50 yrds. :banghead: . Special. Thanks . So this is what the £40 is for. :yell:

jasper

Left at 7 this morning and made Churchill's ground at 10.30 😒  I can only describe the state of the M25 as a disgrace, literally start/stop most of what should have taken only 2 hours and it's unclear why there even are so many separate congested parts ! Also got caught in a 50 minute gridlock between the Esso garage and the M40 on the trip back, absolute farce. 

The shoot itself was rather good if a little stiff, I actually shot some of the harder stands really well too and hand on heart only missed two "silly" birds so 84  won't, I feel tell the full story. Yet again I am puzzled as to why course designers decide to throw two tough birds on the same stand 😶  stand 10 I think where a fast R/L fairly distant crosser which was also dipping into the ground was followed by a really fast small window L/R rabbit, both difficult to see the rabbit in particular was time and again given as pair again when people were unable to even see it in time, dunno if I agree with that in a reg comp, I'm all for a bit of common sense leniency but feel that this should have been set up in a more sensible way to start with. Several people failed to get a shot off in time and some fired into the bank in puzzled desperation ! 94 from Argun Ismet was leading when I left which was very very good shooting 😎 and should hold unless a couple of super stars turn up. 
Also Churchill's today.  I left home at just before half six and got there at nine forty-five.  Major crash on the M25 near Junction 8.  I got there just as they pulled the crashed vehicles off the carriageway, both a bit of a mess but looked like no-one seriously hurt. I've not long got home as I drove straight up to see Ed Lyons afterwards.  400 mile round trip and I'm knackered.

Yes, Stand 10 was the dropping crosser and rabbit.  Absolute card killer.  Didn't touch the crosser once, hit the last two rabbits.  Up until that point I thought I was potentially up for an 80+ score, but dropping 6 on stand 10 and then not getting on the looper on 12 until the last bird meant I ended on 75.  Interesting set-up, first four stands all on the end of your gun before opening up with some distance on Stand 5 and onwards.  I found the close stuff OK today, really just Stand 10 and the sim pair on Stand 9 where I lost the most.  Was behind the crosser on 9, I think I'd have been OK if it hadn't been a sim pair, but I moving onto it well in it's flight I think I just wasn't taking long enough to open the lead up.

That 94 held as predicted, well shot Argun. 😎
Just had a look at the scores.  Definitely was on the tough side by the look of those.  Quite pleased with my 75 now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I also found EJC firm, dissaponted with 83. Specifically I had two very bad stands. Never hit the r-l crosser on stand 8 which seemed to need very little lead when I watched others hit it. Couldn’t make myself see it as a small-lead target.. Also I only hit one of the long hanging crows on stand 7. Think I was too far under it.

Agree, stand 10 was harsh. Two tough targets is not great for a start, but I smashed all the long crossers but never touched the invisible rabbit. Four random pokes as it disappeared behind the bank. Argun must have been eating carrots all week.

Lorry smash on M40 was the cause of lunchtime chaos at J4 Roundabout. Took me 40 mins to travel the roundabout. Not helped by the police car which decided to park in a whole lane and cone itself off. Could easily have gone on verge. tw*t.

The rough patch continues....

65 at Ian Coleys 😑
Certainly not their easiest shoot. We had Matt, who set the course take us round, lovely guy. If you shut your eyes you are actually with Steven Merchant. 😆

I don’t mind tough but found a few too many edgey targets. Hands up I struggle with them, but it started to lack variety as there were too many. He says he sets the course once a year. Maybe half way between last month and this month would be spot on. I seem to be finding hard shoots wherever they are at the moment, (apart from last AGL) or at least it feels that way. 

Yes I also found EJC firm, dissaponted with 83. Specifically I had two very bad stands. Never hit the r-l crosser on stand 8 which seemed to need very little lead when I watched others hit it. Couldn’t make myself see it as a small-lead target.. Also I only hit one of the long hanging crows on stand 7. Think I was too far under it.

Agree, stand 10 was harsh. Two tough targets is not great for a start, but I smashed all the long crossers but never touched the invisible rabbit. Four random pokes as it disappeared behind the bank. Argun must have been eating carrots all week.

Lorry smash on M40 was the cause of lunchtime chaos at J4 Roundabout. Took me 40 mins to travel the roundabout. Not helped by the police car which decided to park in a whole lane and cone itself off. Could easily have gone on verge. tw*t.
Stand 8 it was a midi and didn't need much at all.  Only missed one of them and that was behind slowing the gun up.

I have no idea where I was on the crosser on 10.  I think probably behind.  Did it need much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stand 8 it was a midi and didn't need much at all.  Only missed one of them and that was behind slowing the gun up.

I have no idea where I was on the crosser on 10.  I think probably behind.  Did it need much?
I asked if that was a midi and got told no. Explains a bloody lot! Grrr..

The Stand 10 first target was a big gap. I saw about 7 feet and it was critical to hold that downward line too. 

I much prefer a bit on the hard side than soft but that stand was defo misjudged, having shot rather well on most of the toughie targets I felt punished rather than tested or entertained by 10. There were enough good targets on the course already to justify an invisible rabbit and a dipping crosser - on the same stand. 

I asked if that was a midi and got told no. Explains a bloody lot! Grrr..

The Stand 10 first target was a big gap. I saw about 7 feet and it was critical to hold that downward line too. 
Well, I assumed it was a midi.  It was above the bank rather than beyond it and shouldn't have looked that small if it was a standard clay.  The guy shooting after me also thought it was a midi, we had a chat about it while we waited.

Probably behind and over the top then.  I managed to hit the last two rabbits.  Shifted my hold point further right than I normally would and poked at them just before they disappeared.  Would have been much easier if they had put black rabbit clays in that trap.  They orange against yellow grass was a bad idea.  Like at Horne when they put those green clays as low incomers against whatever crop they have planted - not a test of skill, just a test of eyesight.

Coleys, as before a good month since last a reg clay taken on, thankfully a covering of cloud made the afternoon quite pleasant as the earlier squad all looked rather frazzled. Coleys had decided to mix up our pre/season block booked squad so one had a chance ti meet / make some new chums, well Matt Turk plus two pleasant west side of Severn gentlemen. One was first up, first stand simo loopers, oh joy, despite the obvious cobwebs and rustiness aplenty one felt that Id shot as well if not better than Id expcted me too, so gor me a good afternon out. Young Sam Usher 90 HG 👏

Am unsure as to this runny nose streaming eyes banging head is a nasty cold or hay fever its still well and truly annoying me so its the straw to break any thoughts of EJC today
😱😱

Turkey said:
You shot the loopers scarily fast

😱😱

You shot the loopers scarily fast
Ha, having seen them allowed to run & easily missed I went for an “off the arm of the trap” approach and as it worked first time just kept repeating.

Seeing scores your that one poor stand 3/8? so so close Matty boy 👏 shot though

Gunsite, still not feeling 100% as like a vast many hay-fever taken agrip. Bunter nursing a sore head due to excessive “its coming home” boozing was keen go to so it was off to a sun-drenched & not too busy Gunsite that we went. 

Didnt have the best of starts and too many one away stands, also we both had one implosion stand, that apart though generally we both felt shot well at most stands, maybe not superstar well, but C & B class well. Socially a blast as a good many chums in attendance, even managed a very civilised & joke laden chat with some Aussies, 

Ended 1 in front of Bunter, so hes quiet in car 😊

Andy Moon 96 hg when we left

Gatton Bottom today.  Didn't shoot well.  Anything crossing needing any lead at all I was all over.  Missed a shed load of going away or very finely quartering targets.  Know I tend to overlead so I was being overly careful and aiming - shooting with a static gun and missing as a result.  Ended a run of decent scores with a 67.

First time at gunfire,  scorers asking why so quiet. Personally I thought it was busy, apparently not normally 300 ish.  Nice to meet a couple of people I knew at a shoot , this is only my 2 reg shoot.think I upset your  mate Doug,  I told him your behind me when he gave me your cards , i thought this helpful as i didnt know anyone and the queues were all over the place. Sadly  only hit my average 63 seem to be stuck . Good shoot nice people great weather who could ask for more

Cheers Danny Mac

85 at highwayman's today. A good round with some 18-20ft gaps needed on a couple of clays . 93 was high. Unfortunately they had a couple of problems on stand 12 which lead to a big wait there 11/2 hours.

So it would seem that there was a lot of tough shoots about this week. Looks like all our course setters have world champs fever. Come on guys . Back to normal for next week????

Jasper

Latest posts

Back