Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's  personal  expectations that make people go on a downer after a shoot ! I once went to brookbank which is 300 miles away, I thought I shot sh*t, had a long drive home with a bottom lip like a Volvo bumper only to find a cheque  in the post a few days later.

There are many ways to view what makes a good shoot. If you do a lot and take it fairly seriously as I do, then a crappy bit of form like I’m in now does make for a low smile period. The only good thing is that I’ve done it long enough to know that form goes up and down, so a decent patch will hopefully return. Meanwhile, pardon my expression. 👍🏼😀😀

Northampton today. A really good round of 13 stands with some nice longish crossers. I hit 80 and 90 was leading when we left and I always think that if iam 10 or less off high gun I've shot well. That was until I got home and saw the scores 98 high and two 90s in A leaving me 23rd in A.  Amazing scores.

Northampton today. A really good round of 13 stands with some nice longish crossers. I hit 80 and 90 was leading when we left and I always think that if iam 10 or less off high gun I've shot well. That was until I got home and saw the scores 98 high and two 90s in A leaving me 23rd in A.  Amazing scores.
If you had choked up a bit you may of hit more  :angel:

Shot the ‘All Round’ today at Orston. 

Only shot 50 DTL birds in practice and a few rounds of Skeet before so to finish up on 81 put a smile on my face. 

Wondering why I was classified as AA today rather than B class which the score is more in line with? 

73DD70C9-19B0-4D94-903B-6C0C157719CF.png

Good shoot at Owls Lodge on Saturday and it stayed dry!  Today Kegworth and Garlands and it stayed dry again!  Tried to get late card at Northampton but to close to the mark apparently timewise although I’ve been kept waiting on the last squad 20 minutes to allow someone to get there!!!  Don’t think I’ve ever been out on time there.  Tomorrow on the other hand when I will be shooting Southdown sporting and Sportrap it promises to hiss it down all day and be windy and not that warm.

Good shoot at Owls Lodge on Saturday and it stayed dry!  Today Kegworth and Garlands and it stayed dry again!  Tried to get late card at Northampton but to close to the mark apparently timewise although I’ve been kept waiting on the last squad 20 minutes to allow someone to get there!!!  Don’t think I’ve ever been out on time there.  Tomorrow on the other hand when I will be shooting Southdown sporting and Sportrap it promises to hiss it down all day and be windy and not that warm.
Weather looks maybe better at Westfield, pm at least.. might consider it..

Horne cancelled, so I think I'll have a day off.  Won't know what to do with myself.

Going to shoot Longridge, sadly I have no option to wait until this afternoon when the weather is looking better. Might raid the cupboard for some waterproof overtrousers.

We shot Northampton yesterday and Sporting Targets today, two good layouts and we kept dry! 

Testing weekend in terms of time.

Five hours to shoot AGL on Friday, fortunately I had some good company but I've never known anything like it in terms of queues.  Took us an hour to shoot the last stand and was raining for most of that time, glad I stuck with it as I shot a pleasing 94.

Saturday I pitched up to a very busy Owls Lodge at 11.30, I had to park past the line of the big tree on the first stand as there were so many cars there.  It took me 2.5hrs to shoot 9 stands on my own, with the rain and still queues on stand I had enough and handed my card in as I'd reached breaking point and the fun element of it had gone.  It's a shame as I was shooting alright.

Yesterday I paid a visit to Widdington for a bit of practice (had planned on Podimore but didn't fancy another day of queuing) as I've just changed cartridges, and what a nice morning/early afternoon.  No stupidly soft targets; there was one serious looper that dropped out in front of you that needed lots of lead.  Best bit being no rain.

I studied the forecast and sure enough, Westfield was dry midday. It was a low entry, so I whizzed round (too quickly really). The only bad bit was the mud, a few wood chippings would have been good, but so much water lately. 

A great course I thought, no fill in stands but nothing stupid. Some good long ones and other tricky stuff. Sadly I faded on a few stands for no real reason and ended on 85. At least I shot much of the shoot quite well, after being rubbish lately. 

Well, that was a great weekend that had some highs and lows (but let’s call them learning points). 

650 shells, 4 different disciplines and 4 different venues. 

1 day off before adding another 100 and another venue. Ian Coleys on Wednesday for the sporting 👍

Latest posts

Back