Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"At what point should a ground stop selling cards..?" at the time they stipulate in the advertisement doesn't sound like they have a problem with repeat business as this seems to be a regular comment for AGl ,if it were your business can you honestly say you would?
There comes a point where disgruntled customers become a consideration for the reputation of a business. Very difficult unless you are pre-selling cards though as it’s almost impossible to turn people away on the day. I’m not saying AGL could have done anything different today either. Certainly, I don’t take an order from a customer for a delivery date I know I can’t make. But that’s a slightly different example, with the ability to plan ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
AG&L today, gave up half way around like quite a few others. Trying to keep a 13 year old enthused wasn't easy... We decided we prefer squaded, so Northampton and Sporting Targets on Sunday and Monday.

Reactions: PKB
Highwaymans to start, good shoot and rain held off.  On to AGL started at just before 2pm and finished just after 5pm.  Not as long as some but absolutely drenched, gave up trying to clear my glasses and tried to look between the rain drops on them 😂.  After a while your clothes just stick to you and you can’t move well.  I was glad to finish.

AGL...err let me think...Bank holiday Friday, not much else on, hundreds of eager shooters wanting to get out, possibility of rain...err no thanks, 100 ESP practice time at Barbury, with a 25 bunny rabbit compak, much more enjoyable. :) . And hardly any of the wet stuff. :p :) .

AG&L today, gave up half way around like quite a few others. Trying to keep a 13 year old enthused wasn't easy... We decided we prefer squaded, so Northampton and Sporting Targets on Sunday and Monday.
I may have been behind you today on a stand? You are a slim chap and had green Musto jacket?

Never shot it today, but taking a few factors into consideration........A good Friday shoot is always well received, i would always get 250 + at Barrow for this day. Also as the EO is upon us very soon, many shooters will use today as a test run to attend the ground .........How many stands ??

The key to a smooth run event with minimal queing is 14 stands & good experianced refs who call the following shooters names out & 2 releif refs to give the refs a break.......just saying !!!

I made the trip to AGL. Enjoyed the round. Started just before 10. Took 5hrs. Lots of people moaning about waits and weather. I had thermals and an umbrella so was pretty comfortable. Some people dressed for summer faired less well.

Missed two overheads on 8 and my last pair on 12 which annoyed me but otherwise happy. Shot 88. A nice mix of distances on the targets but a lot of teal/ going away/crow targets about. 

13 stands Phil. Refs were pretty useless but can’t be to hard on them with the weather conditions. 

Never shot it today, but taking a few factors into consideration........A good Friday shoot is always well received, i would always get 250 + at Barrow for this day. Also as the EO is upon us very soon, many shooters will use today as a test run to attend the ground .........How many stands ??

The key to a smooth run event with minimal queing is 14 stands & good experianced refs who call the following shooters names out & 2 releif refs to give the refs a break.......just saying !!!
Fair enough Phil. 13 stands today, so they kinda made the effort but realistically 15 stands needed. Also, AGL did have a few refs who were either just very slow, or in the case of one.. just wouldn’t take in cards, causing some bemused faces..  Basically a shoot that got twice the normal entry was left a bit shocked. Weather didn’t help. Basically a great ground, still learning..

Fair enough Phil. 13 stands today, so they kinda made the effort but realistically 15 stands needed. Also, AGL did have a few refs who were either just very slow, or in the case of one.. just wouldn’t take in cards, causing some bemused faces..  Basically a shoot that got twice the normal entry was left a bit shocked. Weather didn’t help. Basically a great ground, still learning..
Was that the red on stand 4? What a tit he was. 

They made the effort with another stand & guess they put enough clays out at each trap to ensure no shortages.so they catered for a strong entry.......so good planning !

Maybe the refs need some guidance on dealing with big entries ?

They made the effort with another stand & guess they put enough clays out at each trap to ensure no shortages.so they catered for a strong entry.......so good planning !

Maybe the refs need some guidance on dealing with big entries ?
I reckon a little bit unlucky with weather. Everybody figured you might stay dry going early. Stampede..

Refs calling out who is to follow should be standard,can’t understand why reg shoots don’t give refs new to the game a laminated sheet with a few basic rules on there,i understand a lot of the younger ones are maybe too shy to shout out names.that said it’s a job i most certainly wouldn’t want to do and i am appreciative of those that do it week in week out in all weathers.👍

Refs calling out who is to follow should be standard,can’t understand why reg shoots don’t give refs new to the game a laminated sheet with a few basic rules on there,i understand a lot of the younger ones are maybe too shy to shout out names.that said it’s a job i most certainly wouldn’t want to do and i am appreciative of those that do it week in week out in all weathers.👍
My kids did some reffing last year. I wrote them a big guide! 

Owls with Stew & Tiptop, not been out for few weeks, umming and ahhing due to weather, as it was rocking up at 12 we didnt see any wet stuff from the skies, had a bright start, a few wobbles which included not finding a downhill bunny which was most annoying, ended on 72 which is 😊 for me , chums Tiptop 84 Stew 89, big 200+ entry we got round in 2.30 hours tops, all told had a 👍 day.

As a plodder am always impressed with the guys & girls that regulary put in 80s & 90s dont quite understand why a lot dont seem to often appreciate what / how well they have shot, more smiles would be nice

Owls with Stew & Tiptop, not been out for few weeks, umming and ahhing due to weather, as it was rocking up at 12 we didnt see any wet stuff from the skies, had a bright start, a few wobbles which included not finding a downhill bunny which was most annoying, ended on 72 which is 😊 for me , chums Tiptop 84 Stew 89, big 200+ entry we got round in 2.30 hours tops, all told had a 👍 day.

As a plodder am always impressed with the guys & girls that regulary put in 80s & 90s dont quite understand why a lot dont seem to often appreciate what / how well they have shot, more smiles would be nice
Must admit just lately you do seem to see too many glum faces around,  :mellow:  to think we get the pleasure of shooting at 100 targets that's taken several people several hours/days to plan and execute in amongst trees and the countryside  :) , I personally try and never lose sight of that fact. 

Latest posts

Back