Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First impression of ej, park in a remote car park and trudge through 200 yards of mud. Good start!!

I went at 11am. Parked in the usual lower car park. Did some have to use the field then? There were 306 entries I believe. We got round quite well, with some skipping of queues in places. 

It did feel different to their usual courses. Some very positive views, some less so. Only hit one on stand 7, which was a bit cruel. I only felt that there were two or three really tough stands, but scores were a bit lower than normal. 89 leading when I left but I feel a 93 should come in.

For myself, I had an absolute shocker on two of the EASIER stands. A terrible 7 dropped on those, where most were cleaning up. So frustrated with that. Finished on 80 which should have been 85+. Oh well. 

Also EJC today.  Started off fairly well, managed to drop one target on each of the first five stands and got round those in reasonable time.  Then the long waits started at Stand 6. Was still fairly warm and only dropped a couple.  Stand 7, hit the first bird and that was that.  From that point on started to get really cold.  Hit all the rabbits on 8, but couldn't get on the second bird before it was disappearing behind the bank.  The meltdown started on 9 where I missed the first three pairs and I then effed up 10 and 11.  Rallied a little on the last three stands but the damage was done by that stage.  Finished on 63.

Just under 4 hours to get round.  Was cold to the bone by the last stand, with 25 minutes waiting in the shade and face into a biting wind finishing me off.  Was contemplating doing the mammoth drive to Owls Lodge in a couple of weeks, but not sure I'll bother if it's going to be cold and take that long to get around.

After a personal best at AG&L yesterday, was bought down to earth with a crunch at EJC today... Started on stand 1 badly and continued that way. Young Harry shot really well though, finishing on 73 and was second in C when we left. One bonus is that we didn't feel the cold...

Thanks to bebo and her Husband for driving me up EJC.  I had a great gun fitting session with Chris and Daf.  Looking forward to returning for the shooting when I've got a shiny new shooter that fits :)

EJC started at 12 and finished at 3.55pm and like the rest of you at times was chilled to the bone and I do tend to wander mentally when I have to wait so long.  I started badly on stands 1 and 2 missing 2 and 3 respectively which was just irritating. Straights on stands 3 and 4 then missed 2 on stand 5 which had the slowest button pusher ever.  A straight for stand 6  then stand 7 scored a 4.  Stand 8 missed 4, stand 9 missed 3.  Stand 10 a straight, stand 11 missed 1.  Stand 12 a straight, stand 13 missed the first bird out and stand 14 which wasn’t my last stand and I had to fight the urge to just go back to the Lodge was stand 14 scoring a 1.  I think I hit some good ones and missed some card fillers.  

Glad I missed Churchills by the sound of it. Was oncall for work anyway so couldnt make it.

Did Horne this morning. Was a couple of degrees warmer than forecast but a bit of a breeze. Was the quietest I have seen it early on so zipped around in 45 mins. Dropped just one in my first 4 stands including a 7 on the platform then hit the simo teal stand and scored 3/10. No idea why as normally shoot them ok. Dropped 4 on 8 as did not hit 2nd orange bird once and then 3 on 1 (my last stand) all the 2nd bird incomer which was not coming in much for me. What started out well ended up on a 79 so a little disappointing. Need to take a few secs to rethink what I am doing when I miss rather than just plough on as I am.

Westfield for me today,a very good shoot in my opinion,nothing massive there but plenty that could slip off your card through poor gun hold and pick points.didnt shoot it that well,just general sloppiness really,only stand that i was baffled on was a right to left rabbit where you had a fairly  narrow window in which to shoot it off the raised platform,first bird was a going away in front,plan was shoot the going away and just drop down onto the line of rabbit,it didn’t work!!only hit one rabbit and dropped a going away,upon reflection i think i needed to take the gun back further rather than holding out.enjoyed the shoot managed to scrape an 82 which im not at all happy with but it could easily have been a lot worse as i rarely shoot Westfield well,that’s why I’m going to keep going back!!!!all good fun tho👍

Also Horne this morning.  Was bitterly cold in the wind, but actually quite pleasant if you could find a sunny spot out of it.  Lots of sloppy misses on stuff I should be straighting and totally bungled the sim pair of orange/pink l-r crossers for a 2.  Only dropped one of the sim teal though. Finished on a rather lack-lustre 71.

Also Horne this morning.  Was bitterly cold in the wind, but actually quite pleasant if you could find a sunny spot out of it.  Lots of sloppy misses on stuff I should be straighting and totally bungled the sim pair of orange/pink l-r crossers for a 2.  Only dropped one of the sim teal though. Finished on a rather lack-lustre 71.
Nipped down there at 1pm, whizzed around. Yes very chilly in the wooded part and lovely when the wind dropped in the sunny area. Cold mainly..

Similar story on stand 9 sim pair. Very deceptive and I only hit 4. Card wrecker, finished on 87. The wind made some stuff variable and cost me a few too.. Stand 11 crosser, the first bird was 20 yards further away than the rest. Not their easiest shoot. 93 was leading when I left at 2pm

Southdown for me, enjoyable sporting but cold first thing, I was sloppy ended on a 76.  Then the Sportrap - all good targets but third layout mainly orange and not the bright kind so very hard to get on them for me a poor 15 on that one.  Finished on a 72 so not happy at all with that.  On to Horne, where yet again a few colours did for me and a double discharge - just the one which made my brain rattle - finished on an 81.  Quite cold there but quite quick to get around.

Southdown for me, enjoyable sporting but cold first thing, I was sloppy ended on a 76.  Then the Sportrap - all good targets but third layout mainly orange and not the bright kind so very hard to get on them for me a poor 15 on that one.  Finished on a 72 so not happy at all with that.  On to Horne, where yet again a few colours did for me and a double discharge - just the one which made my brain rattle - finished on an 81.  Quite cold there but quite quick to get around.
White one on the platform was working undercover

White one on the platform was working undercover
I got a straight on that one, so much concentration needed for me.  The sim pair further up the hill an orange and a pink apparently- they looked the same to me but we both struggled to see those.  Stupidly though I think there were two stands of following and I missed on both those stands 😂.

I got a straight on that one, so much concentration needed for me.  The sim pair further up the hill an orange and a pink apparently- they looked the same to me but we both struggled to see those.  Stupidly though I think there were two stands of following and I missed on both those stands 😂.
I missed first orange dinner plate on the following too. I blame a cold muscle flinch 

Floppy orange right to left over the pond at Westfield,we were first at the stand,i asked to see a pair,had to ask again as i didn’t see the orange one(kind of the scorer to do that for me)If I’m shooting anything orange or pink in woodland im usually just relying on instinct at the vague blur I see.red green brown colour blind isn’t great in the countryside!its an excuse im sticking to tho.🤪

Very cold grange farm for us. Tricky course with much head scratching . You know when it looks right but the target don't break. Anyhow scraped an 82 which may just get some cash in A. Only two on 90 . Nothing better when we left at 1.30. 

Jasper.

Floppy orange right to left over the pond at Westfield,we were first at the stand,i asked to see a pair,had to ask again as i didn’t see the orange one(kind of the scorer to do that for me)If I’m shooting anything orange or pink in woodland im usually just relying on instinct at the vague blur I see.red green brown colour blind isn’t great in the countryside!its an excuse im sticking to tho.🤪
I feel your pain, I’m the same.  It frustrates the hell out of me to lose Targets like that.  I lost six on one stand at Horne to not seeing them well.  

Just the one shoot this weekend for me and that was EJ Churchill on Saturday. I've no idea what I would have done differently but the course didn't seem to have the 'X' factor for me  :unsure:

I liked the simo pair in the grouse butt of the incoming rabbit clay and the L-R looping thing. Did not like stand 7  :D

First time I have shot one of GD's courses so a great insight in to the style that can be expected for the worlds. Expecting a tough shoot though, if Saturday was anything to go by....

Very cold grange farm for us. Tricky course with much head scratching . You know when it looks right but the target don't break. Anyhow scraped an 82 which may just get some cash in A. Only two on 90 . Nothing better when we left at 1.30. 

Jasper.
I've always found that to be the case there. Some clever target setting there considering the flat ground they're working with.

Latest posts

Back