Sporting Shoots; where- and how was it? (2018)

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made so much noise creeping around as I was shielding the stock the whole time! 

Might invest in a dirt cheap semi auto if anyone has one they no longer want?!
I gave the HugluG12 semi that I won at Honesberie to Trevor Stanton to sell - never used.  He is at Country Pursuits.  That is dirt cheap.  It’ll be a corner somewhere.

I was commenting about the stupid method of holding cartridge brass against the woodwork.

You may live and learn.
I must confess that it was a staged photo as I’d seen a similar one on instagram and quite liked it! Cartridges are never held that way as I can’t afford another lovely wood blank 😃

Owls, lot warmer than my last two visits, did not shoot at all well, mind you one had shot worse much worse there before so not all doom & gloom, in a squad with AAA & AA superstars who make shooting look so easy & relaxed such a lightyear above my clumsy offerings, they are though a joy to watch which made the day enjoyable. 

Richard King 99 high gun, hat off to him

I've got a monster weekend planned - AGL tomorrow, EJC on Saturday and Horne on Sunday.  If I hadn't had to work today I could have done Owls as well - four Reg shoots in four days would have been a record!

Is the EJC on Saturday a normal 100 Reg? Just arrive and shoot?

I couldn't see anything on their website but it's on the CPSA website as a Premier League event.

Thanks

Is the EJC on Saturday a normal 100 Reg? Just arrive and shoot?

I couldn't see anything on their website but it's on the CPSA website as a Premier League event.

Thanks
Yes just turn up between first and last card and shoot.  

I've got a monster weekend planned - AGL tomorrow, EJC on Saturday and Horne on Sunday.  If I hadn't had to work today I could have done Owls as well - four Reg shoots in four days would have been a record!
If things had gone to plan I would have shot Owls today, AGL tomorrow, Churchill’s on Saturday and got Southdown x 2 done.  Work and an Ofsted inspection got in the way.  I could do AGL tomorrow, I am off but I’m exhausted so I’ll see.  Missed booking the Sportrap for Southdown so will do their ESP and Gatton Bottom instead.

Owls, lot warmer than my last two visits, did not shoot at all well, mind you one had shot worse much worse there before so not all doom & gloom, in a squad with AAA & AA superstars who make shooting look so easy & relaxed such a lightyear above my clumsy offerings, they are though a joy to watch which made the day enjoyable. 

Richard King 99 high gun, hat off to him
I shot it at 10am and it was bloody freezing! Wind dropped and sun almost appeared about 11.30am, so I was jealous of the 12pm squads.. 

A nice shoot I thought, plenty of stuff worth shooting and good variety. Nothing silly easy but also it did lack anything really tough, so while my 90 sounds OK, 7 of my misses felt very stupid. On two stands I just missed a pair in the middle for no reason. I predicted a 98 HG when I left. 99 is of course amazing.

I too am doing AGL tomorrow, EJC Prem Saturday and will see how I feel on Sunday..

If things had gone to plan I would have shot Owls today, AGL tomorrow, Churchill’s on Saturday and got Southdown x 2 done.  Work and an Ofsted inspection got in the way.  I could do AGL tomorrow, I am off but I’m exhausted so I’ll see.  Missed booking the Sportrap for Southdown so will do their ESP and Gatton Bottom instead.
I must admit, the weather is making me wobble a bit about going to AGL in the morning.  But seeing as the alternative is going to work I think I'll put up with the cold!  Haven't signed up for any team on the Premier League.  Looks like AGL are short of shooters, might sign on for them.

Predictably cold at AGL, made worse by queues, very busy. A good shoot, scores coming in higher than I thought. Like Owls yesterday I did another 90 with a good handful of soppy misses. Brrr..

Would have loved to shoot Owls and AGL. Will have to make do with EJC and Westfield this weekend!

Weather is looking rather fresh on both days. Will grab some fuel for the hand warmer on the way home this eve.

Predictably cold at AGL, made worse by queues, very busy. A good shoot, scores coming in higher than I thought. Like Owls yesterday I did another 90 with a good handful of soppy misses. Brrr..
I hardly had a wait all the way round. Shot with my brother and we were round in not much over 90 minutes.

Would have loved to shoot Owls and AGL. Will have to make do with EJC and Westfield this weekend!

Weather is looking rather fresh on both days. Will grab some fuel for the hand warmer on the way home this eve.
EJC will feel loads warmer as it’s bright sun..

Any insider knowledge about what the crowds will be like? Planning on getting there for a coffee at 9:30. 
Really not, but I suspect it will be 250-300 entries. Luckily it starts at 9am. I would think 9.30 for 10 start is about the worst thing you could do.. right in the thick of it. 8.30 or 11.30 probably wisest, but you just never know..

Driving Woody to EJC for a gun fitting, which is booked in for 2pm.  Aiming to get there around 12ish, which will hopefully mean that he won't be waiting around after his fitting for me to finish.

AGL for myself, very chilly as said.  Was going along fine, missed 3 on the grouse butt giving the second bird too much, a straight 8 and 10, then one away on each stand until my last one which was the on report driven where I missed 5.  Finished on 84.

missed 3 on 2 stands but more straights score the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
EJC, started at 9, all done before 11, 14 varied ( and I mean varied) stands, bit of a marmite shoot, the chill in air might be the cause of so many 😐 faces, the poor chap scoring on stand 7 a report pair of distant crossers was already suffering from RSI in saying “pair lost” it wasnt the only stand that will “sort out wheat from chaff” this chaff at least found a pair 🤪 .

Im on holiday same time as Worlds, if I had booked to shoot this type of course for two days 200 targets it would I fear sap my glass half full outlook.

Am sure others will enjoy, it was not “fun” for I.

Latest posts

Back