Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you @Will Hewland it's interesting reading and for me not that easy to fully take in. I suppose like all things, work with it and it suddenly clicks in.

At least now when I'm reading the chat about ups/downs I have a "simplified idea"

Eventually I think I'll have a go at competing just for the hell of it, but for now I'm happy on occasional English sporting and sim game flushes.

Thanks for the help.
The basic idea of an average of your scores is very simple. It takes a little work to take in the period timings etc and many shooters don't bother to understand it. The CPSA do it all for you and the website shows your scores and class. Many shooters do these events with very little competitiveness, more concentrating on their own personal journey and entertainment, so it really isn't daunting. Its just a good way to see decent targets and at around £35 is good value given that its all buttoned and reffed for you. You don't even need to join CPSA to do a registered shoot (but obviously you wont show up in the results). Usually about 10% at a shoot are non-members

Last edited by a moderator:
Coleys today, wasn’t lucky enough to avoid the rain, got chilly too. Found it tough in most places, that said not been out to a reg for month and one can’t expect too much after such an absence. Hit everything just not enough of the ones that I should have hit all of. Had a cheery enough squad which made light of the wet stuff. 
Sam Usher 95 looked to have High Gun, a young man with a big future.

Coleys today, wasn’t lucky enough to avoid the rain, got chilly too. Found it tough in most places, that said not been out to a reg for month and one can’t expect too much after such an absence. Hit everything just not enough of the ones that I should have hit all of. Had a cheery enough squad which made light of the wet stuff. 
Sam Usher 95 looked to have High Gun, a young man with a big future.
95 was very good indeed. I thought it was a sustained test. I don’t recall as many long crossers on a shoot for ages. There was only 1 easy stand at the end and when I got there I cocked it up from shock! Ha ha. Poor score from me, 6 under my average, but was happy with the way I dealt with a few of the trickier stands. It was an enjoyable test but personally I would have softened two of the hardest stands to give the shoot widest appeal.

Similar story here, Will. Last stand and I ended up shooting in front of the yellow/green L-R 😐

Enjoyed the course as I don't mind long crossers; to me they're preferable to fiddly technical targets.

Shot Coleys, had a shocker - 79. Thought it was a good testing shoot, bit stiffer than usual and no warming up with the first stand! Rain was dreadful but better than being at work!

Normally enjoy the distance/crossing targets but been working on using maintained lead since Christmas and just couldn't get it right yesterday. 

Shot Coleys, had a shocker - 79. Thought it was a good testing shoot, bit stiffer than usual and no warming up with the first stand! Rain was dreadful but better than being at work!

Normally enjoy the distance/crossing targets but been working on using maintained lead since Christmas and just couldn't get it right yesterday. 
Out of curiosity why did you choose to work on maintained lead for longer crossers? 

Out of curiosity why did you choose to work on maintained lead for longer crossers? 
Trying to improve across the board and take shooting more seriously so have having some coaching.

Been working on maintained & spot shooting to help consistency. (I used to swing through everything).

It's coming, just got to get a bit more confident with it under pressure and learn when to use which if that makes sense. Hopefully a bit of short term pain for some better scores later this year 🤞

I shot Coleys on Wednesday and really enjoyed it , ending on 93 after two mistakes of miss mounting costing me 3 Clay’s 

I would be really interested as a course setter which the stands referred to as Long crossers were ??apart from the A bird on stand 11 

I shot Coleys on Wednesday and really enjoyed it , ending on 93 after two mistakes of miss mounting costing me 3 Clay’s 

I would be really interested as a course setter which the stands referred to as Long crossers were ??apart from the A bird on stand 11 
Well, nothing was extreme, but plenty of longish ones which I saw a decent gap. First bird on stand 1, first bird on stand 3? High over tree. Biggest gap of the day was that l-r looping one on stand 8 was it? Plus stand 11 of course. 

Most of those you described Will were all under 35 yards , the looping one off the bank was probably the hardest clay on the course , you just had to place the shot where the clay was going 

Most of those you described Will were all under 35 yards , the looping one off the bank was probably the hardest clay on the course , you just had to place the shot where the clay was going 
I only missed that once. I saw about 12 feet, around the arc too.

Well, nothing was extreme, but plenty of longish ones which I saw a decent gap. First bird on stand 1, first bird on stand 3? High over tree. Biggest gap of the day was that l-r looping one on stand 8 was it? Plus stand 11 of course. 
Will, you should have been at mid wales shooting ground yesterday, there were a number of targets that were 40 to 50 yards out, and they needed a fair gap. All were eminently hitable showing a decent bit of belly.

Oxfordshire shooting school today. A full car park so clay shooting and Covid -19 not going the way of Formula 1. I did notice that there was nobody convening in the club house, but that may have been my timing.

Oxfordshire shooting school today. A full car park so clay shooting and Covid -19 not going the way of Formula 1. I did notice that there was nobody convening in the club house, but that may have been my timing.
Went also, wore a coat & never felt warm enough to remove, that apart weather after horrid last few weeks was rather decent. Was in a group 4 & 1/2 jolly nice afternoon out, our start was somewhat jinxed when two old stooges informed us that "its easy 100 straight on cards" they then proceeded to grumble on about the shed load they had missed! Not the most taxing of courses, it not a large ground was more than enough to trip me up, do rue on a few too many lost though did afford a inward smile on more than enough to have had a decent enough afternoon. 

Oh did with others in the not quite empty club house have jolly decent cup of tea and quite nice slice of cake, what's not to like.

I imagine this thread might quieten down a bit for a while...

It was Longridge for me on Sunday. Shot with Colin, Turkey, and Luke. We all started well, and continued pretty well! We shot the course in order 1-11 but skipped 5 due to a breakdown. After we shot stand 11 I noticed an error on my card which meant we had to speak to the ref on stand 10. This resulted in me counting my card...

Anyone want to predict what happens next?

Yep, I was on for my first 90 if I straighted stand 5. 

Anyone want to predict what happend when the first bird came out on stand 5?

I ended on a joint PB on 89. 

I imagine this thread might quieten down a bit for a while...

It was Longridge for me on Sunday. Shot with Colin, Turkey, and Luke. We all started well, and continued pretty well! We shot the course in order 1-11 but skipped 5 due to a breakdown. After we shot stand 11 I noticed an error on my card which meant we had to speak to the ref on stand 10. This resulted in me counting my card...

Anyone want to predict what happens next?

Yep, I was on for my first 90 if I straighted stand 5. 

Anyone want to predict what happend when the first bird came out on stand 5?

I ended on a joint PB on 89. 
could have been worse, could have been the last bird

I shall report from Horne on Sunday. Not sure if it’s still a clay shoot. Society is evolving. Could be converted to a Thunderdome by then. 

Honesberie closed until further notice.

Via Instagram. Just now. 

Eriswell lodge also. 

Jasper. 

Take a good hard look at yourselves people. 

Westfield today, a squadded shoot, was with chums so despite the bitter cold and brief bit of face stinging wet stuff was always going to be a pleasant day. Have always found the place a big challenge, more often than not sent home tail between legs type of challenge. Had a decent start, odd wobble, missed some, hit some, actually hit quite a bit of the bigget stuff and all things considered had a very good day out. Managed to drink a few complimentary teas and stuff a few biscuits, actually quite a lot of biscuits, felt duty bound seeing as MrLovatt had made the effort to put them out. Would like to think this Friday shoot lark will be regular, it’s out of all our hands though. 

Good luck all, and take care of yourself & yours. 

Back