Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was! I know it’s supposed to be hard but the conditions made it worse. Would like to shoot it again in nicer conditions. Worth doing BUT make sure it’s a good day! 

It was! I know it’s supposed to be hard but the conditions made it worse. Would like to shoot it again in nicer conditions. Worth doing BUT make sure it’s a good day! 
I did it on a perfect day, no wind or sun. A good challenge even then, very enjoyable test but I agree it wouldn’t need added difficulties. I’m blown away that Myers has done a 95. Amazing score. 

Well I stuck to what I said, I did not shoot today. I did go to Westfield though and watched Tony shoot the sporting and the Fitasc. Steve did a good job given the very wild weather today.  This afternoon was particularly savage during the Fitasc.  There was sleet or hail I’m not sure which but when it hit your face it stung.   Tony changed three times.  
No Sporting scores published as yet. Perhaps every card became too wet to read...

No Sporting scores published as yet. Perhaps every card became too wet to read...
No they were in a good state and the ref had them because it was squadded.  I saw the the scores on the screen in the clubhouse.

No they were in a good state and the ref had them because it was squadded.  I saw the the scores on the screen in the clubhouse.
Did the scores look very low or did it shoot reasonably in those conditions? ESP, not FSP I mean

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the scores look very low or did it shoot reasonably in those conditions? ESP, not FSP I mean
What I saw of the sporting scores and I don’t think there were many who shot they were low.   Tony and another were leading on 75. I don’t know if higher came in after we left.

Well it looks like another washout this weekend, storm Dave, Fred or Julian ( pick anyone) is due to create havoc again. I admit that now I take one look at he forecast before gearing up to the weekend shoots, if it looks remotely dodgy the gun stays in the cabinet, and I open a bottle of wine and read the papers.

Its absolutely no fun to shoot or ref when the rain is working it’s way slowly down the back of your neck and targets are bouncing around as if they are on a trampoline.

Anyone else feel the same way, or are you all diehard shooters who go out every weekend no matter what the weather throws at you ?

This year I've been avoiding Reg comps when the weather is awful.  It just frustrates me to miss targets that I would normally expect to hit just because the wind is affecting them.  I don't care as much if it's just practice, so providing it isn't absolutely chucking it down I'll just go out and have a play at the local ground.

I have been known to venture out in adverse conditions, good waterproof trousers and jacket help. There have been occasions when I have enjoyed it and occasionally not.

Bad weather tends to have an adverse affect your scores and that's not good when I'm paranoid about going down a class

As bebo says, it’s frustrating to miss targets that you know you’d hit and that to me just compounds the misery. Oh plus the fact that I’d have to strip the gun and give it a through clean.

This looks like the 3rd wet Sunday in a row which is annoying enough, but I'm also getting fed up with heading home in a car looking like it's been on safari. I didn't mind the rain too much on the 26th as it wasn't windy, but shooting clays is but a hobby for me and I'll leave the shooting in an Atlantic storm to the diehards.

Would normally venture out no matter what. However after two poorly thought out layouts in the wind the other week , I gave last week a miss . And probably will this week too. Watching the forecasts very closely because I'm getting withdrawal after just one missed week.  Mr Ponting seems to be the best at accounting for wind and even he called enough last week. Correct call. 

Jasper. 

Storm Rod, Jane and Freddie is due here, so I am having the kids for the weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed for Sun 23rd at Oakedge for Steve Lovatts registered shoot. 
Good luck all those who venture out this weekend. 

I did the Oxfordshire Shooting School 100 reg today, particularly because I know the weekend will be a jet-washing. 

I did OSS last month too and it was a bit of a soft course. This month they had done a great job of toughening it up appropriately (rather than going mad) and it felt like a decent registered shoot. I managed 95 last month and felt like I’d messed up. 91 today and I felt I worked fairly hard for it. It’s still 10 stands and fibre only, but they now have scorers on each stand. I enjoyed it. They are getting a good entry, but not to a problematic extent, so far. Worth a look.

I did the Oxfordshire Shooting School 100 reg today, particularly because I know the weekend will be a jet-washing. 

I did OSS last month too and it was a bit of a soft course. This month they had done a great job of toughening it up appropriately (rather than going mad) and it felt like a decent registered shoot. I managed 95 last month and felt like I’d messed up. 91 today and I felt I worked fairly hard for it. It’s still 10 stands and fibre only, but they now have scorers on each stand. I enjoyed it. They are getting a good entry, but not to a problematic extent, so far. Worth a look.
Definitely planning on having a go when the weather picks up. Just need to identify nearby campsite with fishing so we can make a weekend of it the camper.

EJC today. Definitely a bit windy and not as busy as their infrequent Saturday competitions are. Enjoyed the round. Shot the first half well, but dropped a few more than I should have on the second half. Particularly annoyed at missing three quartering in rabbits on my second to last stand. Finished on 75.

EJC today. Definitely a bit windy and not as busy as their infrequent Saturday competitions are. Enjoyed the round. Shot the first half well, but dropped a few more than I should have on the second half. Particularly annoyed at missing three quartering in rabbits on my second to last stand. Finished on 75.
I went at midday and shot the Sportrap which was tough in the wind especially layout 3. Just needed to put all the cages nearer the targets! Shot a terrible score, but actually had fun seeing what could be hit. It’s not my main discipline...

The ESP was an odd course, a mixture of close fiddly and long slow targets mostly. I had a nightmare on stand 14, the white fast 35 yard crosser between the banks and the distant incomer that didn’t really come in with that wind. Hit 1/6! The white needed a huge gap while the other thing just hung and dropped as I shot at it. Some other daft moments, finished on 84. I think only a handful of scores in the 90’s. Actually nearly 200 entries in the end. RF was still out when I left and likely left victorious. 

I went at midday and shot the Sportrap which was tough in the wind especially layout 3. Just needed to put all the cages nearer the targets! Shot a terrible score, but actually had fun seeing what could be hit. It’s not my main discipline...

The ESP was an odd course, a mixture of close fiddly and long slow targets mostly. I had a nightmare on stand 14, the white fast 35 yard crosser between the banks and the distant incomer that didn’t really come in with that wind. Hit 1/6! The white needed a huge gap while the other thing just hung and dropped as I shot at it. Some other daft moments, finished on 84. I think only a handful of scores in the 90’s. Actually nearly 200 entries in the end. RF was still out when I left and likely left victorious. 
I was behind the white twice. Hit two of the non-incoming incomers. I think I probably enjoyed it more than it warranted as it's only the third registered I've shot this year. Weather and work have put paid to my fun.

I went to EJC  because I had this ridiculous notion of feeling I had to as I had put myself down for Southdown team and even though I still do not want to shoot and had to shoot my back up gun.   I didn’t shoot well no surprise but I thought it disappointing.  To be fair I asked Tony what he felt because I know it might have been because I feel the way I do.  He felt the same, all a bit floaty or close.   At the stand with the rabbit on edge and the going away bird near the grouse butt where the stand comes up to my chest I managed to find ground staff who kindly brought me something to stand on only to be questioned by the ref as to whether he should allow this!    Quite a variation in flight on a few as well.

I too shot EJC - disappointing 79 lots of individual errors.

Not sure how I felt about the shoot - in truth, bit odd. As already stated loads of floppy shots and short window parallel pairs. Then the other extreme at the end of the course. 

Ended up shooting it alone which never produces my best scores anyway. 

Toying with the idea of ESP at Southdown tomorrow. 

Back