Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too shot EJC - disappointing 79 lots of individual errors.

Not sure how I felt about the shoot - in truth, bit odd. As already stated loads of floppy shots and short window parallel pairs. Then the other extreme at the end of the course. 

Ended up shooting it alone which never produces my best scores anyway. 

Toying with the idea of ESP at Southdown tomorrow. 
Do it in the afternoon unless the weather forecast has changed.  I’m not going but Tony will be.  He’s got Sportrap  first though in the terrible wind.  😂

Do it in the afternoon unless the weather forecast has changed.  I’m not going but Tony will be.  He’s got Sportrap  first though in the terrible wind.  😂
God I know, saw that. After 1pm if at all for me. Good luck to Tony! 

The only reason I mention this is to promote the idea of never give up. Owls Lodge yesterday. I was in a very capable squad; so spectator pressure was on. I was first up, on a freezing cold morning on a stand with a long teal and tricky crosser. Missed a couple. Next stand missed a couple. Next stand missed one. Then remembered that when it’s freezing, I benefit from looking like a loon by jumping up and down, flapping my arms or whatever keeps my muscles moving. I went the next 9 stands 1 away and missed one on the last stand just being too careful. 

Stuart Rudling did the most amazing 100 straight, always worth a mention. 94 was next best and I scraped a 93 after feeling like quitting after three stands. It’s a mind game. 

I gave the Churchill Challenge a go for the first time this morning, thankfully the wind and rain that was forecast didn't really materialise, enjoyed the course and the different format to the usual ESP I shoot most of.  

You really have to have your wits about you, I felt mentally drained afterwards, especially having shot the 20 bird sequence then being first up on the next lot.  Good targets, some need a decent gap, some of the sim pairs are a bit daft though, I can shoot reasonably quick but some you barely get one good shot off before just hoping on the second.

Dartford first thing. A bit wind affected and lots of sim pairs, which fortunately I seem to be getting over my issues with. One stand was 4 targets full use of gun. Reminded a bit of that stupid battue at AGL last year, except it was a standard clay. Similar distance, getting further and further away and even quicker. Lots of 0s on the mastersheet for that stand.

I mucked up three stands - two them by holding too far out on flat quartering aways and missing in front. The other I just misread a target and was in front until the last pair. Slightly disappointing 73 - could do better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Court farm today. I know I don’t like it before I go. Edge-on hanging fiddly targets, which were really blown around in the gusts today. So not my type of thing, but I know we all need variety. A disappointing score. At least I picked up some cash from January and collected my mates cartridges for him..

Also court Farm. 85. Skipped Dartford this morning as got a bout of the old man flu. Dropped singles everywhere at CF unable to straight anything - shame lost class by 1 when I left.

77E29AC7-864C-4910-A257-BDDA66E838B1.jpeg

Also court Farm. 85. Skipped Dartford this morning as got a bout of the old man flu. Dropped singles everywhere at CF unable to straight anything - shame lost class by 1 when I left.

View attachment 8124
Well shot, I got there first thing and struggled around for 83.

A bit more spring/face on a few of the clays would have made it more enjoyable though. 

I made myself go out today because I can feel myself getting used to staying home.  Barrow was bright, chilly and windy and some clays were affected.   I didn’t  shoot well there overall but some stands I did well.   On to Northampton same weather, slightly better score but still rubbish overall.  DT10 still with gunsmith.  I’m back in B but next time maybe C who knows.  

I made myself go out today because I can feel myself getting used to staying home.  Barrow was bright, chilly and windy and some clays were affected.   I didn’t  shoot well there overall but some stands I did well.   On to Northampton same weather, slightly better score but still rubbish overall.  DT10 still with gunsmith.  I’m back in B but next time maybe C who knows.  
On the upside, you can only go down one class at a time...

Don't think I'll bother with Dartford again. Counted up the zeros on my card, 27 of them, so score of 73. Look on their facebook post score of 66. Look again and realise that we only shot 94 targets. Stands 2, 7 and 12 were all shot as 4 pairs, whereas looking at later shooters results they were 5 pair stands. I know we were one of the first lots out, but ffs you'd think they would have told their scorers how many pairs it was from the start!

Oh, and the scorer wrote down a 4 on Stand 1 when their were 5 crosses in the boxes.

They shouldn't need to tell the scorers. How hard is it to label the stands and the cards?

On the upside, the CPSA system will register it as 73ex94 so you % will be correct - assuming Dartford uses the software properly of course - and the registered scores can be corrected on the CPSA database after they've been uploaded.

Don't ask me how I know this... 😉

They shouldn't need to tell the scorers. How hard is it to label the stands and the cards?

On the upside, the CPSA system will register it as 73ex94 so you % will be correct - assuming Dartford uses the software properly of course - and the registered scores can be corrected on the CPSA database after they've been uploaded.

Don't ask me how I know this... 😉
They won't, it'll be 66/94 if they correct it, which is still wrong as the scorer wrote down the wrong number against one of the stands.  Also annoying as the 6 targets not given were on three of the easier stands (I dropped 3 out of the 24 of them compared to 24 out of the remaining 70 I shot).

The cards were showing 4 pairs on those stands and at least one of them the stand was marked as 5 pairs.  I know, as I queried it with the scorer at the time.

I've heard rumoured from someone that there were numerous changes through the morning to the numbers of targets shot on each stand.  I've also spotted that on my husbands card they have two stands where the score issued doesn't match the score on the card.

Personally I'd rather they just scrapped it than try to fiddle around correcting what looks like a complete dogs dinner.

On the upside, you can only go down one class at a time...
I’m not sad about going to B.  I have always said I feel I am a B.  My journey to C will eventually happen though if I don’t shake whatever is messing with my head.   

I’m not sad about going to B.  I have always said I feel I am a B.  My journey to C will eventually happen though if I don’t shake whatever is messing with my head.   
It’s all about confidence. I shoot badly when I fear doing badly usually. It’s hard to feel confident after a bad run, so it’s hard to break the cycle. I would go and have a practice on some easy clays. Reprogram your head with success. 

It’s all about confidence. I shoot badly when I fear doing badly usually. It’s hard to feel confident after a bad run, so it’s hard to break the cycle. I would go and have a practice on some easy clays. Reprogram your head with success. 
With you mate.

When I let go and shoot like practice - i.e care free I produce my best scores.

Trying to be too careful, being scared to miss causes me TO MISS!! 

As a non competitive shot, would someone direct me to what each class means please. A,B Etc and the average scores to achieve. I follow the chat but loose it when you mention AAA and so on.

Thanks😁

Thank you @Will Hewland it's interesting reading and for me not that easy to fully take in. I suppose like all things, work with it and it suddenly clicks in.

At least now when I'm reading the chat about ups/downs I have a "simplified idea"

Eventually I think I'll have a go at competing just for the hell of it, but for now I'm happy on occasional English sporting and sim game flushes.

Thanks for the help.

Back