Sporting Shoots 2020

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunsite today, Bunter was very keen for an early start, the heavy overnight rain and very windy conditions did not entice me out of bed for such, the journey down south was also in driving rain, not a good sign. Clocked in at 11.30, entry nr 125, the rain had stopped but the wind was still with us, bit chilly too. Both of us had ups n downs on a pleasant course, yes missed a few Im disappointed with but overall had a very good day out, added bonus was taking family honours by 4 clays. Must mention scorers who were all in very good spirits considering the chilly conditions, we did see some poor manners from some shots that should know better.

Was though a good day (3 hour shoot) out saw lots of friendly faces which includes the delightful Mr & Mrs Hoskins, think Richard Bunning was HG on 97 when we left, a LOT of superstars still shooting mind.

Hope you all had a good day also.

You are a delight yourself Rich.   We got there early so as to make Westfield so endured rain and wind for most of the shoot.  I enjoyed the course but still shooting stands straight until last target and then missing the last one!  On to Westfield  bit of wind but no rain.few targets that I found difficult to see, old eyes and dropped too many.   Enjoyed the course should have done just a bit better but that’s how it goes.

You deserve a special mention for enduring that without wellies. 😀
:hyper: no wellies?

there was plenty of parking up the far end of the car park for some reason - could have been the 9 inches of mud, poor old landie bottomed out on the way out!

Well done Will for joint second, I thought I saw an AJ Churchill logo somewhere. 'twas my first time out for a while and it was fun, the usual gripes but all in all an enjoyable shoot.

:hyper: no wellies?

there was plenty of parking up the far end of the car park for some reason - could have been the 9 inches of mud, poor old landie bottomed out on the way out!

Well done Will for joint second, I thought I saw an AJ Churchill logo somewhere. 'twas my first time out for a while and it was fun, the usual gripes but all in all an enjoyable shoot.
😂 I just cannot get on with shooting in wellies! Boots all the way 🥾  

When is it summer again?! 

After a couple of weeks of no shooting, picked my gun up from Sporting Targets yesterday after it's biannual service. Had a practice up there and today went up to Gatton Bottom. Still really muddy. Lots of very edgy targets and a few eyesight tests. I didn't find the white going away off the platform easy to see and there were a few whinges about the sim pair of low green targets on a green background. I shot most of it well. My worst stand was a relatively easy following pair - floppy right to left - where I dropped 4. Missed one on the first pair, adjusted my hold (wrongly) and missed the 2nd pair! Finished on 85 and a missed opportunity for a new pb.

is it just me? I thought that colouring clays was supposed to make them more visible!

green targets on a green background is just wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that unusual for the seemingly simple task of selecting the correct colour of clay for the background to ruin what would have otherwise wise been good targets/shoots. 

Doesn't seem like rocket science to me. In fact I have reached the conclusion , having seen many stands like this around the shoots, that the course setter does it on purpose thinking how clever they are or maybe it's just  how pretty it looks. 

Jasper.

I think that part of the problem is that people's ability to see coloured clays varies hugely, so what a course setting might see OK others may not.  Changing light conditions would worsen this, as it may be visible in the sun when the course is set but be difficult to see if it becomes overcast.  I really hate it when full face black clays get hit by the sun against a pale blue sky - they go almost silver and become really hard to see, same clay in cloud would be no problem.

Those green ones at Horne on Sunday I had no issue seeing (only missed one), but the bloke in front of us couldn't pick up the second green one at all. I found it difficult picking up the edgy white one as it was going through dappled shade, but others were seeing it no problem at all. 

I think that part of the problem is that people's ability to see coloured clays varies hugely, so what a course setting might see OK others may not.  Changing light conditions would worsen this, as it may be visible in the sun when the course is set but be difficult to see if it becomes overcast.  I really hate it when full face black clays get hit by the sun against a pale blue sky - they go almost silver and become really hard to see, same clay in cloud would be no problem.

Those green ones at Horne on Sunday I had no issue seeing (only missed one), but the bloke in front of us couldn't pick up the second green one at all. I found it difficult picking up the edgy white one as it was going through dappled shade, but others were seeing it no problem at all. 
Orange against grey sky is often a daft choice. I think course setters should have enough experience to stop any really tricky contrast issues. It’s their job. Like knowing where the sun will be (even if it’s cloudy when they set it up). Pointing that out got me banned from one ground.. 😆

The way the light hits clays at different times of day makes a big difference. I recall shooting (the much missed) Weston wood twice on a summers day. No problems, but the second round after lunch was barely recognisable as the same course. 

Orange against grey sky is often a daft choice. I think course setters should have enough experience to stop any really tricky contrast issues. It’s their job. Like knowing where the sun will be (even if it’s cloudy when they set it up). Pointing that out got me banned from one ground.. 😆

The way the light hits clays at different times of day makes a big difference. I recall shooting (the much missed) Weston wood twice on a summers day. No problems, but the second round after lunch was barely recognisable as the same course. 
I've never understood why so many grounds throw orange teals.  Black clays are cheaper and against the sky would be equally or more visible than orange ones.

There was a really high looper where the grouse butt is at EJC's November Reg shoot that almost completely disappeared when the sun shone on it.  I saw one bloke taking them about 10ft off the ground, at which point it was dropping at a rate of knots because he couldn't see it at all when it was up near it's peak.

Well you all know how I feel about appropriate use of coloured clays.  I stepped out of a stand at Barrow this past weekend I simply will not do it anymore. The first clay was so difficult to pick up, the second was a tricky overhead which required me not to resemble buster blood vessel which wasn’t happening so I just take myself out of the situation.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say, I’m amazed when scorers don’t call out name and get confirmation before they start pressing buttons. Equally I am amazed when shooters trust a quiet ref. I ALWAYS turn and do a name check before I shoot, if they haven’t named me first. 

I trundled down to Somerset Shooting Ground for their monthly 100 reg. thinking I might cleverly drive through the rain band into better weather. Okay, that didn't work, but it was still an enjoyable shoot. Well thought out targets and a friendly atmosphere. It's a trek to get there and further than I normally travel, but for anyone thinking about giving it a go I can recommend it.

Note to self. Confirm with the ref that they're actually marking my card not someone else's. 😫😫😫😵 For the second time this cutoff😫😫😫😫. I mean seriously , do I look like my name is f**king Jane. 

Jasper
I often shoot with my brother and sister-in-law.  Imagine the confusion that cards with J.Baker, J.Baker and S.Baker on them can cause.

We ALWAYS get the cards written on with first names when we book on to try and avoid confusion. Not with much success.😫

Jasper. 

Owls today, drive down from Brum was in constant gloom, was poor light most of day and shot rather oddly, odd that in did not have a clue on many of the stands, was a case of the mutt behind the butt really. Was though a pleasant enough afternoon with chums, all of whom felt that they struggled today so I was not alone in finding it tough(ish), some superstars there, and I think HG was 96/97 very good effort in my eyes.

Hoping to rock up (weather permitting) to Longridge sunday, and looking at fixtures even I will find plenty to shoot next month.

Longridge today, went late with brother Bunter, wore contacts, this for first time since last summer, didn’t start very well,  had odd moments of triumph these amongst some truly poorly shot stands, so much so bro had taken family honours with two stands to shoot. Did bump into chums aplenty, Mr & Mrs Hoskins straight from Garlands and the rapidly rising star Zea Purnel & from Mr Hale a most honest shoot appraisal. Clynt of this parish put in a 90, HG was shared on 96 C Childerhouse & N Rees, was a fair entry too as at 2pm I was nr154.

Have taken some advice and am taking a break from reg shooting, until next Sunday at least.

oh and the contact lenses experience won’t be repeated, 

• Thanks
Reactions: Zea

Latest posts

Back