Sporting Rule

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the Rule?

You arrive at a stand , shoot a few pairs but hit none because the clays are difficult and not flying exactly the same.

You stop , ask the referee for your card back and leave the stand .

You then go back to the stand later , re-shoot the targets and hit all eight.

What should have been the score ?
0/8, and no the horrible refs such as I wouldn’t have allowed, during a competition the stand to have been re-shot, we all know it should never occur but most understand how / why it happens. 

The correct response  at a mark your own club shoot should be “oh well ,  if that had been a real woodcock I couldn’t have asked it to fly past again  .  ‘ .   If you ask your peer group for a no bird , they should say ‘ blind tw*t take up knitting or yell Tosser or such other merry comment  “ .
FFS , the day shooting becomes so serious it’s time to give it up . I presume the miscreant was entered for a cash prize not birds only ?  

I truly feel sorry for the type of people who have to behave in that manner , it’s not ‘ gamesmanship ‘ it’s just cheating pure and simple . 

In my experience it matters not if the shot has entered competition or birds only, 

I regularly ref at a registered cpsa shoot that has historically used young unqualified refs,and getting refs in there defence aint no easy task.As a result the shooters some of which are very good shots and very experienced have let there standards slip at that ground instead of setting a example like they should with the average club shots looking up to them.Ive had gasps of surprise when i have inforced rules usualy ignored like a brocken peice breaking clay two,ive had a long serving county shot taking the pee after i warned a father for coaching his son whos now at the level of winning money off folk,ive had,my mate said i broke that ,yeh but hes not in the cage and i say you missed it.Stood viewing then asks to see a pair,im birds only so dont have to follow youre cpsa rules,busy gassing when names called.etc etc etc

Do good refs make mistakes ? Absolutely if ref thinks its the wad and you think its a chip the refs right take it on the chin,if the refs in doubt re hit miss or regularity he/she can ask you to repeat those targets ,as will says above nothing wrong with asking the ref if they are sure but lf you dont like the answer the jury is the next place to go,arguing with refs is bad for youre shooting and pointless especially if im the ref😂

If you pulled  the trigger  you accepted  the target. 
Yes, I always believed that too. I think it may have been a Trap ruling  ?

I am unable to post link things, BUT, check out rule FIVE of the Beretta World Championships 2022     ???

If you pulled  the trigger  you accepted  the target. 
I get that, but what happens if its an obvious no bird and in such a way that the target becomes easier, You take it and break it, but does the ref make you take it again.

I get that, but what happens if its an obvious no bird and in such a way that the target becomes easier, You take it and break it, but does the ref make you take it again.
That's exactly what should happen and has happened to me on numerous occasions, when the Ref has woken up and realised the no-bird it ends up being pair again.  I had one on sportrap at AGL on Saturday, although in that case the no bird made it much harder.  First bird was a left to right incoming crosser, it didn't come in at all, no call from the Ref so I shot at it and missed, second bird came - horrible distant teal - and I hit it.  When I looked round questioningly at the Ref (as did the rest of the squad) he then said no bird, pair again nothing established, so I shot them again, hitting the crosser and missing the teal.  Same end result, 1 hit from the pair, but it was a fair pair same as everyone else was shooting, so no complaints from me at all.

Interesting, at one of the auto shoots at barbury a good shot hit his last bird quickly and a split second later the ref called no bird and docked him a target instead of pair again and this was an experienced ref, the ref claimed that because he shot at it it was lost, a few of the squad thought this was wrong, personally I would have given it teach me to wake up, I would be interested in your thoughts on this 

I guess it should  of been  called a no bird before or as it was being  shot by the ref so everyone knew his verdict on the clay.

If it is an OBVIOUS  no bird, I will have called it as such, whether it is shot at or not.
That's exactly the way I would expect it to be and, as far as I'm concerned, how it should be.  Not all refs are equal though 😉

Interesting, at one of the auto shoots at barbury a good shot hit his last bird quickly and a split second later the ref called no bird and docked him a target instead of pair again and this was an experienced ref, the ref claimed that because he shot at it it was lost, a few of the squad thought this was wrong, personally I would have given it teach me to wake up, I would be interested in your thoughts on this 
I would have had the right hump about that.  If it was being shot to English Sporting rules then it doesn't matter if the no bird is shot at or not, it should be pair again:

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
a good shot hit his last bird quickly and a split second later the ref called no bird and docked him a target instead of pair again and this was an experienced ref, the ref claimed that because he shot at it it was lost
It seems on the face of it, the shooter was docked a target for shooting at a no bird?

1. Its only a No Bird when the Ref calls it.

2. If a shooter fires after a target is declared No Bird then they receive a warning and subsequent transgressions reported to and dealt with by the Jury alone (General rule 3.16).

Regards

Leigh

It seems on the face of it, the shooter was docked a target for shooting at a no bird?

1. Its only a No Bird when the Ref calls it.

2. If a shooter fires after a target is declared No Bird then they receive a warning and subsequent transgressions reported to and dealt with by the Jury alone (General rule 3.16).

Regards

Leigh
The ref called no bird after he'd shot it in that example, so I don't see how that would apply.

Yes, I always believed that too. I think it may have been a Trap ruling  ?

I am unable to post link things, BUT, check out rule FIVE of the Beretta World Championships 2022     ???
This rule number 5 was a great rule and it proved to the world a lot of rumours have been false 

Unfortunately  my googling has failed to locate rule 5 from the  2022 Berretta World.  Rule 5 from 2023 is to not let CPSA banned  competitors take part.

Latest posts

Back