southern counties shooting ground to become solar farm.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Know what you mean Robert. We had one down here who expected the farmer next door to stop combining when he got home from work as he didn't like the noise and dust.

Idyllic countryside? Might be some peoples perception, the reality for farmers is that it's a tough working environment. If it's so idyllic why does farming have one of the highest suicide rates in the country?
I once read a ' letter to the editor ' in my local newspaper from a tourist saying it was a nuisance meeting tractor's and combines on the pembrokeshire roads in August during their holiday. Farmer's should be more thoughtful and plan their work outside the peak tourist time. :D

With the current recession hitting the High Street and shops closing down, I am looking for investors to open a state of the art OT shooting ground here in Shropshire. The site will be indoors at Telford Shopping Centre. I even have a name for the ground

Ace Hole sh*tting Centre.

Oh my goodness my signwriter made a fraudian slip! ! !
Love it.

Oh, it wouldn't be a moments work to find a spot. And I wouldn't suggest Yeovil or Dorchester town centres.. but somewhere within a 20m radius must have somewhere (That's 4000 sq miles). It isn't populated that heavily? I may be wrong; haven't researched it of course. It just seems a likely part of the world compared to Surrey or Sussex by comparison?

The irony is of course that Southern Counties is not closing due to noise issues, proving that the area can host a shooting ground..
Will, much of what you say is correct, BUT it ain't gonna happen! The area is full of people and local/parish councils that would stand in the way. Yes there are rough shoots, game shoots and straw balers down here, but they are not regular shooting facilities that are open almost every day, therefore the rules are different and the cost implications are nowhere near those of a facility such as SC. Shooting is not seen as being very politically correct by a large percentage of the non shooting public, even down here and the last thing they want is a bunch of guys wandering about with guns somewhere within a short distance of wherever they happen to be. Even if someone with stacks of cash were to come along and buy a huge estate down here, planning consent may still prove to be a big problem, if a proper shooting facility was on the agenda! Sad but true!

Les

surely cheddar aint far from you ?

We have a 130 each way trip to our nearest reg comp ground for OT.UT.decent ABT :(

Les

surely cheddar aint far from you ?

We have a 130 each way trip to our nearest reg comp ground for OT.UT.decent ABT :(
Cheddar is probably about 1.5hrs away I guess, but SC is only 20 mins!!!! 130 miles each way is a huge distance to travel mate, I've done it in the past though, but fuel is not so cheap these days!!!!

Cheddar is probably about 1.5hrs away I guess, but SC is only 20 mins!!!! 130 miles each way is a huge distance to travel mate, I've done it in the past though, but fuel is not so cheap these days!!!!
Yep we have Beverley and rugby as our nearest trap grounds for OT UT ABT apart from degla. Both 130m each way. No wonder folk shoot sporting or DTL as there is much more of it.

Just had a thought re-the constant changes to ABT and indeed to some extent OT ... funny how DTL to my reccolection has never changed in donkeys years apart from the 28g thing and the practice bird. ??

Yep we have Beverley and rugby as our nearest trap grounds for OT UT ABT apart from degla. Both 130m each way. No wonder folk shoot sporting or DTL as there is much more of it.

Just had a thought re-the constant changes to ABT and indeed to some extent OT ... funny how DTL to my reccolection has never changed in donkeys years apart from the 28g thing and the practice bird. ??
Yep DTL seems to have largely escaped the "lets change it for bugger all reason" brigade! I guess DTL and ESP are our TRUELY domestic disciplines, there are not many places in this country where you will not find ESP and DTL.

With SC going solar, it was less than 12 months ago the Olympic party hit these shores, it hindsight would this planned junket into " green" energy have happened IF the Olympic shooting events had invested the £ at SC, would have been quite a row if it had

With SC going solar, it was less than 12 months ago the Olympic party hit these shores, it hindsight would this planned junket into " green" energy have happened IF the Olympic shooting events had invested the £ at SC, would have been quite a row if it had
It seems that as yet, there has been no official confirmation that SC will close. I would guess that the solar/green thing must have been on the go for some time, as the ground owners would have needed to find out if it was a viable option for them and that sort of thing takes time of course. It seems that nobody is saying very much about if and/or when SC will close down, I still have my fingers crossed that it won't close, but only the owners really know what's going on.

Les,

Welcome to Team Mushroom, fed on waste materials and kept in the dark.

Les,

Welcome to Team Mushroom, fed on waste materials and kept in the dark.
Well I'm told that our chairman Mr.Bobbett is exactly that, a mushroom farmer, so there you go !! :haha: :haha: :banghead: :banghead:

Just had a look at the SC website and can't understand why the trap and skeet elements of the ground can't stay open as its surrounded by an earth bank. Surey not too difficult to raise the level of the banking or even include nets on top of the existing bank to catch shot? Stick a layer of plastic over the banking (as they do in Italy) and harvest the lead for a bit of extra income?

Not going to shoot there as its bloody miles away but seems a real shame to loose such a fabulous facility.

DT

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a look at the SC website and can't understand why the trap and skeet elements of the ground can't stay open as its surrounded by an earth bank. Surey not too difficult to raise the level of the banking or even include nets on top of the existing bank to catch shot? Stick a layer of plastic over the banking (as they do in Italy) and harvest the lead for a bit of extra income?

Not going to shoot there as its bloody miles away but seems a real shame to loose such a fabulous facility.

DT
I reckon the solar thing may generate more profit, much easier to run too,and no need for shot nets or banking either!!!! Yes if it does close it will be a real shame.

I really cant see the mystery in all of this chaps. If the solar panels generate more money (which they clearly think it will), they will cover as much of the land as they possibly can. No hassle, more money.

And why would they tell us? None of our business... 

I really cant see the mystery in all of this chaps. If the solar panels generate more money (which they clearly think it will), they will cover as much of the land as they possibly can. No hassle, more money.

Spot on Ed.I've been saying all along that I don't think that the lead shot fallout is the real issue. The fact that it is probably bleeding money like there's no tomorrow is.

People are in business to make money and it's up to them how they do it.

The loss of S.C. will be a blow but the owners owe us nothing, in fact it's probably the other way round.

Exactly Ed! They will do what is best for them and nobody can blame them for it.

i would do exactly the same, and keep my trap shut until the deal had gone through officially.

Mystery solved. Im wasted here..!

Mac lad

you have bolloxed it up .... Again :)

Latest posts

Back