Southern Counties Dorset.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't confuse all trap shooting with Olympic disciplines. SC was also a skeet and sporting ground. If it had been well used with bright ideas for all shooters it might not be wanting to be a solar farm.

We need big shooting grounds that can put on big international shoots or else we become the poor cousin of Europe and the World fir international shooting which is unfair because we have great World class shooters in all disciplines. And i do not mean World class the funding programme....i mean shooters that can hold there own on the various world circuits. People HAVE to be interested in these goals....or... we will never get anywhere.....as a real sport.

Just saying....from iPhone and cannot see what I typed out of the box

Seems to me trap grounds and the shooters that frequent them have fostered an elitist cabal with little or no real access for ordinary shooters to avail themselves of the facilities unless one conforms totally to their codes and rituals? It is as far as one can discern (I can only discern since I am not welcome at any trap ground as I shoot a semi auto) a ritualised emotionless, unsociable pursuit conducted in near total silence, where dress, type of gun and pecking order seem to be far more important than actually enjoying oneself. Little wonder then that such grounds are closing since looking at the CPSA registered events for such , the attendance by trap shooters is quite clearly on the wane. Just my opinion of course
Sorry, you are wrong. Anybody at can turn up to shoot trap and will be able to book on. Walk to a layout and shoot clays. I like shooting the odd round of sporting but I am often put off by standing around waiting for someone willing to let somebody not in their click join them. You can tell from the body language they are not happy to be asked so I haven't bothered and gone home or shot the trap layout.

There is just as much fluffy rabbits in the clubhouse as sporting. Acoustic release doesn't help for creating much of a bar room atmosphere. Next Sunday I might go and stand behind a stand cage at the next club comp and start loudly ripping the piss out of whoevers shooting and those around if that's how I can get someone to let me join them.

You both must live in dreadful areas then.  My husband often has to shoot trap with a semi as the bloody Kemen is in and out of the sodding gunsmiths like a yoyo - no-one has ever complained at the various grounds both here and in Wales - UT/OT/ABT AND DTL.  As for joining in with Sporting, you get the odd person no doubt but most will let you join in.  

Sorry Paul but  you are not getting the experience I am getting, shortly after Peter Wilson won Gold there was an invitation by the CPSA and put forward through this medium to have a go and shoot trap . I forget the chaps name now at the CPSA but I contacted him as I genuinely thought I might give it a go. I explained I had a semi auto and straightaway he suggested that there might be a problem, I gave him my email address and asked to come back to me to book into any  trap ground that would take me, he agreed to do so, to date I have not heard a dicky bird?

Just to reassure my self that I was not suffering from a misplaced persecution complex or an irrational negative expectation of the way I might be treated at trap grounds I rang 2 and tried to book on to shoot Olympic Trap or indeed any kind of trap, all was fine until I mentioned I shot a semi auto, it was made very clear to me that I could indeed turn up but if  anyone on the line objected to my semi auto I would be asked to leave the line. it was also made clear that this was more than likely to happen and I would not be refunded my money should this occur.

In answer to your point regarding sporting shooters I have never experienced anything other than a welcome from any groups at grounds where I have turned up and have been allocated or just tagged onto a group. perhaps you just need to say like I do at this shoot I am Billy no mates mind if I join you I have never been refused to date and I have been shooting quite a few years

was it in a answer to my post - I didn't understand it either.   It is true I think that the CPSA generally dislike Autos - when you go on their courses for example they do kind of dismiss autos and would rather not involve them in the training etc.

Sorry Paul but  you are not getting the experience I am getting, shortly after Peter Wilson won Gold there was an invitation by the CPSA and put forward through this medium to have a go and shoot trap . I forget the chaps name now at the CPSA but I contacted him as I genuinely thought I might give it a go. I explained I had a semi auto and straightaway he suggested that there might be a problem, I gave him my email address and asked to come back to me to book into any  trap ground that would take me, he agreed to do so, to date I have not heard a dicky bird?

Just to reassure my self that I was not suffering from a misplaced persecution complex or an irrational negative expectation of the way I might be treated at trap grounds I rang 2 and tried to book on to shoot Olympic Trap or indeed any kind of trap, all was fine until I mentioned I shot a semi auto, it was made very clear to me that I could indeed turn up but if  anyone on the line objected to my semi auto I would be asked to leave the line. it was also made clear that this was more than likely to happen and I would not be refunded my money should this occur.

In answer to your point regarding sporting shooters I have never experienced anything other than a welcome from any groups at grounds where I have turned up and have been allocated or just tagged onto a group. perhaps you just need to say like I do at this shoot I am Billy no mates mind if I join you I have never been refused to date and I have been shooting quite a few years
David, You and I unfortunately had a bit of a tiff some time back about autos I think, however that is now water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned! Anyway, you are right that on a trap line autos are not exactly welcome, the reasons for this have been done to death on the forum many times as we both know. If you wanted to shoot some trap practice it's easy enough though, in a practice session many trap shooters will simply put their gun out of the way of any potential flying empty shells, and providing the gun is seen to be empty/safe between shots and/or moving peg, then I cannot see a problem. If you fancy a trip to Southern Counties let me know, I will go onto the line with you!!!

I hate autos....but I love shooting on a clicky layout when they do not want me in the clickty click.

Who dares wins....and see who leaves the layout first for the cup of coffee...water...gin..!

Not me :laugh:

Last edited:
I hate autos....but I love shooting on a clicky layout when they do not want me in the clickty click.

Who dares wins....and see who leaves the layout first for the cup of coffee...water...gin..!

Not me :laugh:
I heard that some people have found some grounds a bit clickey. Anyway my experience of Southern Counties is quite the reverse! I've met some great people over there and the  f l u f f y r a b b i t s  is often bloody hilarious, even at a trap comp! I found it an easy place to get to know people, once you can find enough people to talk to that is! :biggrin:

Sorry but the  best is watching him shoot with the semi and actually as a sporting shooter who just happens to really really enjoy OT and UT get better scores than the dedicated but that is the devil in me.

Sorry but the  best is watching him shoot with the semi and actually as a sporting shooter who just happens to really really enjoy OT and UT get better scores than the dedicated but that is the devil in me.
I'm sure he will find somewhere that he can shoot trap without too much trouble! I know it's a personal thing, we are all different, but I just cannot see the attraction in shooting an auto, I've tried some over the years but there just seems to be too much going on with them and to me they seem fiddly, if you know what I mean. And picking up spent shells off the floor got to me too. But each to his own I guess, it would be a strange world if we all shot the same guns!!

I'm sure he will find somewhere that he can shoot trap without too much trouble! I know it's a personal thing, we are all different, but I just cannot see the attraction in shooting an auto, I've tried some over the years but there just seems to be too much going on with them and to me they seem fiddly, if you know what I mean. And picking up spent shells off the floor got to me too. But each to his own I guess, it would be a strange world if we all shot the same guns!!
To be fair the semi is his pigeon/Beretta World gun and the Kemen is the love of his life but when needs must you go with what you have to hand.  As I said we've never had a problem using the semi anywhere.  You need me Les as I love picking up spent shells I get a sense of satisfaction out of it.  I could be your personal shell girl :)  My husband is the best for not worrying about what gun, what shell, what choke - it just does not bother him.

To be fair the semi is his pigeon/Beretta World gun and the Kemen is the love of his life but when needs must you go with what you have to hand.  As I said we've never had a problem using the semi anywhere.  You need me Les as I love picking up spent shells I get a sense of satisfaction out of it.  I could be your personal shell girl :)  My husband is the best for not worrying about what gun, what shell, what choke - it just does not bother him.
Well........ OK if you want to venture down to SC I will eject shells all over the floor for you Sian!!! I have to say that it is probably the strangest fettish I've heard of in a long while! Anyhow, yes Sian, you can be my personal shell girl !! :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst ips is beside himself, could I just point out that other than owning a Browning Twelvette or a UGB25 [you wondered why it was designed?] it is unlikely that there are any ISSF eligible autos around.

9.4.2.4 Magazines

Guns with magazines must have the magazine blocked so that it is

not possible to put more than one (1) cartridge in the magazine

Latest posts

Back