Southern Counties Dorset.

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our  little shoot at Verwood called Manor Farm has now been giving the go ahead to start

construction of a solar farm with 85400 panels, We are gonna have no where left soon.

I hope that Graham Brown at Purbeck Shooting school has good luck with his planning

permission and he gets the result he needs to keep Purbeck open. :comando:

Thanks for that Jenny. A sensible, constructive reply.

As for the others - the CPSA are not obliged to do anything at all. I expect the doubters and pessimists would almost prefer it if they did nothing then they could have another moan!

And that was kind of my point... a petition from the CPSA is weeing in the wind. 

Proper (legal) objections - that's going to get peoples attention

They should object to the planning application as well. They are the sports national body and ifvthey can demonstrate its one of very few facilities for our future Olympians to train at that may give the objection added weight.

Sport England are often a statutory consultee on planning applications. Might be worth drawing this to their attention too.

Okay, South Westerners get your beloved Mr. Bobbett fired up and he can lead the CPSA appeal to save Southern Counties in the face of opposition from the owner who can see that clayshooting is now no longer a money pot for him.

Let us hope that Mr. Bobbett has as much energy as Nicola Heron did for the DSG?

Let us hope that Mr. Bobbett has as much energy as Nicola Heron did for the DSG?
The phrase "Chalk and Cheese" comes to mind.

Who is this Bobbett of which you speak???   :fie:

For the record I live in Devon, and last time I looked, it was firmly in The South West.

I know who Nicola is though, and I know what she has done. Strange that isn't it?   :biggrin:

Yes two of those do ot,

Beverly, nutty, bisley for reg ot England
 Thought Mid wales did ot?

Brook bank? Garlands? A1? 

Rugby does UT.....

Seems OT just isn't popular/lucrative enough PRobably have more olympic pools than OT layouts............

Well I shall be sad to see it close, I met and shot with a lot of nice people at SC. The south west has very few trap shooting venues, I've even heard that Podimore and Axminster are now being looked at due to alleged noise issues!!! As for fast trap, well it looks to be in decline to be honest....and not just in the south west!!!

Okay, South Westerners get your beloved Mr. Bobbett fired up and he can lead the CPSA appeal to save Southern Counties in the face of opposition from the owner who can see that clayshooting is now no longer a money pot for him.

No longer a money pot? It never was my friend. But then, you weren't to know that were you? As usual on here, lack of knowledge on a subject is never seen as an obstacle to giving an opinion.

Rugby does UT.....

Seems OT just isn't popular/lucrative enough PRobably have more olympic pools than OT layouts............
Affraid Garlands have not held any trap comps. for many years, I think poss. two layouts still avilable for practice.  Nice shop and restaraunt buildings but layouts look depressing and almost derelict. Real shame as it used to be THE place to shoot O/T and U/T in the midlands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Affraid Garlands have not held any trap comps. for many years, I think poss. two layouts still avilable for practice.  Nice shop and restaraunt buildings but layouts look depressing and almost derelict. Real shame as it used to be THE place to shoot O/T and U/T in the midlands.
Yep, Garlands was a great place to shoot OT, I shot there several times many years ago.

So what happened? Seems quite slot of grounds have the facilities but don't run cpsa/bcitsf (or whatever competitions)
Re. Garlands, when the late Bob Garlands' sons started to take on more of the running of the business I dont think they wanted the hassel of running shoots, much easier and more profitable selling shooting supplies from the shop and online.

In reply to Wylye's sarcasm!

Transport Cafe', Karting, Clayshooting Complex, Hotelier,  have all been lucrative for many people, after the Solar Farm will he be trying Tungsten Mining?

Rugby does UT.....

mid Wales do not have ot

garlands is not reg comp

your right i forgot brook bank.

In reply to Wylye's sarcasm!

Transport Cafe', Karting, Clayshooting Complex, Hotelier,  have all been lucrative for many people, after the Solar Farm will he be trying Tungsten Mining?
It will probably be fracking/shale gas etc!!

I for one won't be signing any bloody petition regarding S. Counties period! the place has gone downhill for years, their only interest is money! the shooters mean nothing to them. :fie:
i agree wholly,poor cant be bothered attitude for years.visited last year midweek for some practice 85 no birds/empty traps out of 200.told them on return and was told they weren't bothered as they were setting up for a competition.they have made no effort on sporting shoots for years always feel like i have been robbed when i go there.crook by name...........

I'M with Matt. What will it do? It's the ground owner that's making the application and i guess a business decision.

If it had been a third party such as the highway authority wanting to put a motorway through it or the council wanting to force a change of use, then a petition would be a good idea.

I don't know the owner at all or the financial position of the ground, but looking at the entry numbers on a general weekend who's to say it won't close even if planning isn't gained.

Shame to lose it. I liked my trips there. Including the ABT mystery weekend.
the owners...the Crook family are a miserable moneygrabbing lot and if they think they will make 50p more than the shooting ground for solar panels thats the way it will go.only built the hotel as a tax right off.

Latest posts

Back