Shotgun Bead Sights.....

Help Support :

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndySimpson

Thoughts on Bead Sights everybody? Wondering whether to look at purchasing one, so thought I would get soke opinions?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I have one. A fibre optic one. It helps me know ive lined my eye on the rib correctly. I think they're good for beginners. Certainly until you feel you can mount your gun consistently.

The more I shoot, the less I feel I need it! I don't really see it now, only the clay...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts - a load of B......S, remember No looky at the bead - looky at the target

gun I'm getting has a wee white bead foresight and a smaller one further back, at the moment I find it handy to check I've mounted the gun correctly but in time they should become irrelevant. Had pondered getting a nice bright one then thought hang-on I'm supposed to watch the birdy

So the General majority opinion is that they're a bit pointless.....

Will give it a miss! Thanks for your replies everybody.

Andy

:hunter:  

gun I'm getting has a wee white bead foresight and a smaller one further back, at the moment I find it handy to check I've mounted the gun correctly but in time they should become irrelevant. Had pondered getting a nice bright one then thought hang-on I'm supposed to watch the birdy
That's all you need Bryn. Do you know how to use the two beads? (you are a new shooter arn't you?)

i love a bead discussion there usually good for 6 pages and we never reach a conclusion :)

i love a bead discussion there usually good for 6 pages and we never reach a conclusion :)
The truth is, it took me ages to "get" the figure of 8 thing. I know, but often those things that are really obvious to some are the things that get the least amount of explaination, if you get me?

So if Bryn is a new shooter (which I think he might be) I felt he might find it useful to know about this rather than possibly go out and buy the flashing light and bourbles on offer.

In short, my understanding is that when you're dry mounting/practicing your gun mount, as a beginner in particular, you should seek to learn a mount which creates a picture where the bead at the muzzle end, sits atop the smaller centre bead so that it looks like a figure of 8.

This practice should not creep into your actual shooting routine, as when shooting clays, you should be looking at the target.

Is this when the fighting starts?

That's all you need Bryn. Do you know how to use the two beads? (you are a new shooter arn't you?)
More a resurrected shooter and new to taking clays seriously with a little experience with borrowed OUs. Grew up rough shooting with various family SxSs ranging from a lovely little 410 to an ancient single 8 bore which I'm the only idiot in living memory to have used, dad reckons it belonged to my GG grandfather, I reckon someone just stuck a butt and a fore-end on a captured cannon after Waterloo, its big ugly beast of a thing but has a charm of its own.

My early shotgun technique was purely instinctive, my years of competitive match shooting .22 at a high level got me interested and pretty well versed in the technical & psychological side of things so at the moment I'm learning everything I can about clay shooting, in time will use what works for me, file the rest. Next step is lots of lead down the range gaining confidence, honing technique and experimenting with chokes/carts. I know I could just follow advice but I've found I learn as much if not more from mistakes as I do from success, kind of 'suck it and see' :whistle: . Once I've got this stage of the learning process out of the way and step onto the stand its a case of DO not THINK.

The truth is, it took me ages to "get" the figure of 8 thing. I know, but often those things that are really obvious to some are the things that get the least amount of explaination, if you get me?

So if Bryn is a new shooter (which I think he might be) I felt he might find it useful to know about this rather than possibly go out and buy the flashing light and bourbles on offer.

In short, my understanding is that when you're dry mounting/practicing your gun mount, as a beginner in particular, you should seek to learn a mount which creates a picture where the bead at the muzzle end, sits atop the smaller centre bead so that it looks like a figure of 8. Or a snowman :biggrin:

This practice should not creep into your actual shooting routine, as when shooting clays, you should be looking at the target.

Is this when the fighting starts?

I think we are missing a trick with these beads, it's another option to bling up your gun. Might go for a Mercedes bonnet emblem or the spirit of ecstasy from a Rolls. I wont hit anything but I'll miss in style.. ;)

" thats when the fight started "

Back